Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Teraflex Hinged Tire Carrier Install

Old 09-21-2012, 12:57 PM
Vin
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Teraflex Hinged Tire Carrier Install

OK, so I got tired of having to open the tire carrier before I opened the door, and I thought the whole set up looked pertty clean, so I order/received a Teraflex Hinged Tire Carrier.

Pros:The set up is pretty stout. I think the hinge not connected to the door could support the weight of my wheel/tire combo.

Once again I can open the rear gate with one hand. The Mopar Carrier kinda sagged so I needed to lift it up in order to open it. Also the bumper, on occasion, would hit the bottom of the door.

Cons: The bumper no longer worked. Without the weight of the tire/tire carrier, the bumper would not allow the door to open, so off it came.

The Teraflex CB Antenna mount, curiously enough does not work with this set up. I went back to the first mount I had that came with a package deal from Quadratec.

I'm not too keen on the third brake light set up. It has two mounting rods that go through the two unused lugnut holes. It requires 2 nuts to be removed from the rear of the tire. They should have come up with some sort of tooless removal system so I don't have to worry about having a wrench/socket in the event I do have to change a flat.

Here's my old set up:

OE hinges removed:

Now, notice the fact that they painted the Jeep when it was assembled, so the back of the hinges and the sections of the tailgate under the door are unpainted. It was starting to rust up a bit, so I applied 3 coats of Permetex Rust inhibitor before I installed the hinges. If you plan on keeping your rig for a while, you may want to do the same.

Hinge section installed:

This is one beefy hinge. I think it would have no problem holding the weight of my tire/wheel combo by itself.

Main body of the Tereflex Tire Carrier:

This part is steel, the hinge part is Aluminum.

The Adjustable tire carrier section:

The holes corrispond to the size tire you plan on installing. The top being 37s, the 35s, then 33s, then stock. Even though I am running a small 35 I have it set 37s (A guy can dream you know).

The finished product:

All in all, I'm pretty happy with the set up. I ordered a set of Rugged Ridge Rear Bumper Pods. Hopefully they show up by next weekend so I can finish this up.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:12 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good write up and review!
Old 09-22-2012, 06:10 PM
JK Junkie

Show a picture of the new bumper with the tire carrier when you get it. Looks great
Old 09-25-2012, 03:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you don't mind what did it cost you? And where did you buy it from?
Old 09-26-2012, 12:07 PM
Vin
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by njdan
If you don't mind what did it cost you? And where did you buy it from?
I think it was $699 for the hinge and $199 for the carrier. I ordered strait from Teraflex.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:54 AM
Vin
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by red2010rubi
Show a picture of the new bumper with the tire carrier when you get it. Looks great
The Bumper arrived Tuesday night, so I threw it on early Wednesday morning.

I still have the middle step section to install, but I think I'm going to take everything off again this weekend and hit it with some flat black.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:02 AM
JK Newbie

So with the teraflex carrier there are no bumpstops? I didnt see them in the before mounting picture.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:14 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Vin

I think it was $699 for the hinge and $199 for the carrier. I ordered strait from Teraflex.
I thought it was $499
Old 09-27-2012, 10:43 AM
JK Newbie

Default Nice

I really like this tire carrier setup from Teraflex. I wish it would have been out a year ago. I went with the AEV tire carrier so that I only had the one latch to open.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:11 AM
Vin
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by drslfin
So with the teraflex carrier there are no bumpstops? I didnt see them in the before mounting picture.
No bump stops.

Quick Reply: Teraflex Hinged Tire Carrier Install