Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

TeraFlex 60 vs. Currie Rock Jock 60 vs. Dynatrac

Old 12-08-2008, 11:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great thread. I learned a lot from reading through this. Also realized Ive got a lot more to learn because half of it went over my head. Ill get there someday.
Old 12-20-2008, 08:11 AM
JK Newbie

Thumbs up

I have about 7000 miles on my RockJocks and I am still confident I made the right decision. At the time, the Dynatracs were about $2000-3000 more than the RockJocks. The RockJocks were just as comprable and some could argue even better. All three companies have great products and service so anyway one would go would be good.
Old 12-21-2008, 02:51 PM
JK Newbie

I think one of the large benefits of the RockJocks over all the others is the angled built in sliding skid plate under the differential cases. Very nice.
Old 12-21-2008, 04:01 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dynatrac, Made in the USA

Differential housings,covers, spindle forgings,Hubs and all Dyna Trac components are 100% MADE IN THE USA,and Assembled IN THE USA
Some times having stuff made in the USA reflect on the final cost of a product.
Old 12-21-2008, 04:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow!!! I want a new 60 for my JK now. It will be a long time before this is on my Jeep. The information is great for a guy who dreams of mods like this.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:58 PM
JK Freak

What about Solid Axles
Old 12-21-2008, 08:26 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by evolution
Differential housings,covers, spindle forgings,Hubs and all Dyna Trac components are 100% MADE IN THE USA,and Assembled IN THE USA
Some times having stuff made in the USA reflect on the final cost of a product.
The Rock Jocks that we have packaged for the JK do use our import center section, the balance of the components are made in the USA.

If you are interested in a 100% MADE IN THE USA axle package we can accommodate your needs by using Currie's Rock Jock II.

http://www.currieenterprises.com/ces...4.aspx?id=2757

Mfg: 60-IJCTR
Our Price: $999.95

Description: RockJock® III Ductile Iron Currie high pinion 60 housing center features cover that is relocated to a 60 degree angle to the pinion gear, and equal size large front pinion bearings. Includes bolt on replaceable lower AR400 abrasion resistant steel skid plate, carrier caps, bearing spacer to adapt the larger front pinion bearing to the pinion gear, and pinion seal. Made in the U.S.A.!!! Sold each.

The Rock Jock III (import housing) was developed to satisfy our customers needs for a more economical housing. Both the Domestic and Import are made out of the same material and receive the same quality control procedures.

Last edited by David @ Currie Ent.; 12-22-2008 at 07:34 AM.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:05 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

On behalf of Dynatrac, I apologize for not posting on this thread sooner, but I don’t get nearly enough time to make comments on sites like this.

I noticed a lot of focus on oiling systems in this discussion, and while I disagree from an engineering standpoint with some of the technical points made, I think the issue of oiling in hi-pinion axles is not the most important thing when considering a D60 for your rig. While I am completely confident in Dynatrac’s DS/HV (dual-sump/hi-volume) system, I don’t see any reputable axle builder having major problems with pinion oiling anymore. Dynatrac perfected it, but other companies also do it well enough so they don’t appear to have chronic problems.

I founded Dynatrac in 1988 to build Dana 60’s, and only Dana 60’s. Besides other Dana axles (D44, D70, D80) the D60 is still our flagship product and focus. We don’t do lift kits, transfer cases, Ford 9” stuff, bumpers or anything else. We built the first hi-pinion Dana 60 rear end in 1991, and our DS/HV oiling system has been proven by many thousands of everyday driving, highway running and 4-wheeling trucks, Jeeps, buggies, RV’s, you name it, for millions of miles.

In fact, while Dana 60’s are the benchmark of axle performance today, I can remember showing Dana 60’s at my first booth in Moab, where most people thought I was crazy. “Who needs that?!? My Dana whatever has been running forever”, was the most common comment. Wow, how things have changed. That was a long time ago and it didn’t discourage my vision and belief in building the best product possible.

Here are a few things that I think are important for your consideration.

1. Ground Clearance – The ProRock has absolutely the most ground clearance of any Dana 60 housing. We have a US Pat.Pend. on its design. In terms of reducing the area that is below axle centerline, the ProRock60 has the most ground clearance.
2. Housing rigidity – The #1 job of a housing (especially a hi-pinion rear) is to keep the gears in proper mesh at all times and support the weight of the vehicle. The ProRock does that better than other housings due to its structural design, heat treatment process and proprietary grade of nodular iron. The forces of big tires over obstacles and ultra-high torque input (especially from low ratio transfer cases) try to distort and bend the housing, which shifts the contact pattern of the gears to a weaker position. Gear strength is compromised if the housing does not do enough to maintain proper gear mesh and axle shaft co-linearity. We test the ProRock for this capability and do comparison tests on other housings.
3. Quality – Dynatrac makes housings, castings, shafts and forgings in the USA. Not China and India as others do. Aside from my patriotic beliefs, American metallurgy and process control are the very best in the world. Almost anyone can make some good parts, but making many good ones, all the time, over and over, with consistent quality is much harder. Third world nations may be cheap, but they are years behind in experience, manufacturing control and technology implementation. Quality requires effort and experience, not just a shipping container.
4. Warranty – Dynatrac provides the best one-year, unlimited mileage, no-fault warranty on our axles. That means if you have a problem - your fault, our fault, or nobody’s fault, you will get the benefit of the doubt and we will fix it for free. We won’t argue over how big your tires are, or whether you should or shouldn’t have been doing the obstacle. Short of wrapping your Jeep around a tree, dropping it out of an airplane, or forgetting to put oil in it, you’re covered.
5. Service – Dynatrac has been a new product manufacturer from Day 1. We have never owned a junkyard, or rebuilt junkyard axles. We document what we build and every axle has a serial number that lets us track quality right down to the names of the guys who worked on it, and what parts are in it. From the order stage of building your axle until it’s delivered, we will spend whatever time is necessary to make sure you get the best axle for your rig.

Axles are the most important part of any 4x4, and you will spend a lot of money, no matter what you buy. Everybody’s job at Dynatrac, is to make sure you get the best axle with the best features.

Jim

Old 12-22-2008, 12:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Amen! I have Dynatracs in a 44/60 combo on my TJ, which has done a ridiculous amount of off road miles all around the world, and they have never failed me. These weren't weekend events, but adventure/survival competitions that lasted over two weeks, that could cover up to 5000 miles. Outback Challenge Australia, Rainforest Challenge Malasia, Croatia Trophy, International Warn Challenge, Cup 180 Morocco, and many more smaller hardcore challenges. They were pre-ProRocks, and they are still going strong, without a single component failing. Ever! That fact alone has given us plenty of victories in competitions where people would retire or lose time repairing their rigs. My co-pilot has a custom 4x4 shop, and when he saw how they performed, he exclusively uses Dynatrac on all his builds, and he has to have them sent half way across the world. They are worth every penny. The best part is that they were straight bolt ons. No, I am not sponsored by Dynatrac. Paid a pretty penny for them, and the shipping to the Canary Islands was just as expensive. When something is this well made, it's worth mentioning it. Don't spend your money twice, buy one time and buy right.
Old 12-25-2008, 11:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

I think I'll be going with Dynatrac 60's! are they available in stock JK 5" on 5" bolt pattern?

Quick Reply: TeraFlex 60 vs. Currie Rock Jock 60 vs. Dynatrac