Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

TeraFlex 60 vs. Currie Rock Jock 60 vs. Dynatrac

Old 12-04-2008, 06:38 AM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TexsDream77
Ok.. I was leaning toward the Dynatrac 60's front and rear. Do Currie and Teraflex offer the option of a locking front hub? I'm planning on stub hubs, detroit rear locker, arb front locker, and 5.38 gears.

I love this forum.. All you manufacturers chime in and help us in our decisions with your awsome discriptions of your products. And I never feel like your trying to sell it. Just inform. You guys rock.

Things I'm looking for out of a 60. Lockers obviously. Maximum strenght and longevity. (highway and offroad). Flexablility of Shock/ track bar mounting. Skids on the control arm and shock mount brackets. Front Locking hubs.

I know this may be a real stupid question but, no one has mentioned it and I want to know. Are these axles full floating? I would think so because they come from a 1 ton app.
Our front axle assembly comes with your choice of Warn premium locking hubs or drive flanges. You get your choice of locker and gears. The rear axle is semi-floating.

Part #: JK-RJIIIF
Our Price:$4,999.95

Description: The RockJock® III high pinion frontend assembly for the 2007 and up Jeep JK includes the complete housing featuring the 65-45-12 ductile iron housing center (highest ground clearance 60 on the market), AR400 heat treated bottom skid plate allowing the axle to slide over rocks easily, 3" d.o.m. steel tubes, 1 ton inner knuckles, 5/16" thick heavy steel diff cover, yoke (1310/1330/1350 optional), and all new heavy duty Currie Jeep JK suspension brackets mounted with Johnny Joint® equipped upper control arm mounts for maximum articulation. Axles shafts are the Currie performance 4340 35 spline inner and outer with Spicer 1480 u-joints. Outer assemblies include 1 ton outer knuckles featuring Currie upper steering arm and ball joints installed, Currie exclusive 1 ton unit bearings with 5 on 5 1/2" wheel bolt pattern and JK tone rings allowing for ABS and ESP retention, 13" vented rotors (over 1" greater diameter than stock for increased braking), zinc plated caliper brackets that retain the stock JK front calipers, Currie drive flanges or Warn premium manual locking hubs, and our heavy duty 1 1/4" o.d. 4130 chrome moly tie rod with tie rod ends. Additional parts needed to complete this unit are a high pinion Dana 60 ring and pinion gear set, Dana 60 35 spline carrier of your choice, and a bearing & set up kit. Assembly labor of this unit is included in the price!
Old 12-04-2008, 07:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Littlejon
Thinking about the Dynatrac dana 44 in the front
Me too bro,
Old 12-04-2008, 07:43 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cdc12372
When the 60 is in the front end the ring gear is turning the opposite direction. By looking at the above pictures I'm wondering how would the Tera CRD60R get oil to the pinion bearings? The Currie Rock Jock 60 looks to have a port on the bottom very similar to the one on my 30 front end which I assume is for oiling the pinion bearing.
For the front you would use a reverse rotation ring and pinion, so the oil is traveling in the same path in the front as in the rear.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:19 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer
TeraFlex Rep

Originally Posted by cdc12372
I was looking at the pictures posted by Currie and Terra, regarding the oiling.....

Please educate me on this one.....

When the 60 is on the rear both of these units appear to oil good.

When the 60 is in the front end the ring gear is turning the opposite direction. By looking at the above pictures I'm wondering how would the Tera CRD60R get oil to the pinion bearings? The Currie Rock Jock 60 looks to have a port on the bottom very similar to the one on my 30 front end which I assume is for oiling the pinion bearing.
That is a great question. The ring and pinion gears are actually the same (reverse rotation design) for front or rear location because the housing is designed to use the high pinion gears so in the front application the gears are just rotating the opposite direction than the rear application. Keep in mind though that they are now back to the location they where originally intended for so the oiling system and bearing upgrades done for the rear application are no longer a factor. The meshing of the ring gear and pinion makes sure that the "high load" bearing (which is the original large inner bearing) gets plenty of oil flow. Front applications tend to require less pinion angle so the oil sloshing, turbulence and oil fill level make oiling and bearing loads a non issue.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:35 PM
JK Junkie

For the front you would use a reverse rotation ring and pinion, so the oil is traveling in the same path in the front as in the rear.
The top of the ring gear will always spin away from the pinion when in a front config. Regardless of it being reverse rotation or not. As that just determines which side of the teeth you are running on (Drive side or coast side).
Old 12-04-2008, 04:28 PM
Former Member

I have the Dynatrac Pro Rock 60’s in my rock buggy. I also have Currie Rock Jock 60’s in my YJ so I can provide some firsthand information on both of these products.
All four axels have 35 spline chromoly shafts, Detroit’s, 5:13’s and disc brakes. Both front axels have 300m CTM u-joints. The buggy has drive flanges and the Jeep has Warn locking hubs.
The Dynatac Pro Rocks are very beefy and somewhat heavier than my Rock Jocks. The axel weight in a purpose built rock buggy is not as critical as it might be in a dual sport vehicle like a Jeep. The weight actually helps with suspension droop and lowers the COG. I also run several hundred pounds of water in the front tires so being heavy down low is not necessarily bad. These axels get abused pretty regularly and have given me no problems.
The Currie Rock Jocks also get abused and also have been trouble free. The Rock Jocks however are much lighter, turn sharper, (very important in an Unlimited)use a unit bearing and have a superior oiling system which is very important in a street driven rig. The center sections on the YJ are aluminum. (All that was available when I bought these)
I don’t have any firsthand knowledge of the Tera 60, but I know all three companies have outstanding reputations in the industry. You will not go wrong choosing any one of the three mentioned. However…When I put 60’s in the JK I’ll go with Currie Iron Jocks. The Iron Jocks are less likely to deflect than the aluminum Rock Jocks but still lighter than the Pro Rocks. I’ll probably go a little wider than stock. I like the stability of a wider axel and I want to be sure that I can use all my steering without 37”-40” tires rubbing on the frame. I’ll use 35 spline chromoly shafts, CTM u-joints, at least 5:13’s, locking hubs and either both Detroit’s or ARB rear and Detroit in the front. (ARB’s in the front axle are almost impossible to turn when engaged on the rocks and Detroit’s in the rear axle are a little squirrely on mountain roads.)
Hope this info helps.
Larry

Last edited by BigLar; 12-04-2008 at 04:31 PM.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by David @ Currie Ent.

Have had these on my X-Mas list for a while now, if not X-Mas at least by moab.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:53 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Stuka
The top of the ring gear will always spin away from the pinion when in a front config. Regardless of it being reverse rotation or not. As that just determines which side of the teeth you are running on (Drive side or coast side).
The questions was how does the oil get to the pinion bearing to lubricate it. By using a reverse rotation gear you are moving the side the teeth are on, and it rotates in revers to the rear so the same oiling principles on the rear would work (oil skimmer near the ring) which TeraFlex reiterated.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:59 PM
JK Junkie

The questions was how does the oil get to the pinion bearing to lubricate it. By using a reverse rotation gear you are moving the side the teeth are on, and it rotates in revers to the rear so the same oiling principles on the rear would work (oil skimmer near the ring) which TeraFlex reiterated.
Ok, so tell me how a ring gear spinning in reverse is going to turn the tires forward...

In a front axle, the top of the ring gear will ALWAYS turn away from the pinion when the vehicle is traveling forward. It is not possible for it to be otherwise unless you have a transmission in the dif to change the direct of the axle shafts. "Reverse Rotation" only refers to the teeth on the ring and pinion. So that in a front high pinion setup, you can turn the ring gear on the drive side of the teeth instead of the coast side of the teeth.
Old 12-07-2008, 01:37 AM
JK Jedi

Great thread. We need more like this one.

Quick Reply: TeraFlex 60 vs. Currie Rock Jock 60 vs. Dynatrac