Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

TeraFlex 60 vs. Currie Rock Jock 60 vs. Dynatrac

Old 04-09-2010, 03:28 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry so late, but Solid Axles are the best!
Old 05-08-2010, 07:21 PM
JK Newbie

I've got quite a few friends running Dynatrac's, and a couple running the Currie's. All are satisfied with what they bought. The performance of both units is phenominal, I wish I could drop the coin on new unit's.....However, I would rather feed the families of Americans, in America then those somewhere else, bottom line.

I've also had the pleasure of dealing with iron products from third world country's, and the quality isn't always consistent, i'm sorry it's not.

For me, 100% American made, and assembled products......I'll drop the coin to support our country, not a problem......D-tracs all the way.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:21 AM
JK Freak

Dynatrac, I have a couple of questions for you guys. I have your Prorock D60's F&R. I changed my oil in both F&R before I left for Moab. Drove it from NorCal to Moab. Wheeled it all week and drove it home.

I lost a wheel seal in the rear. No biggy. Happens. But when I drained the oil it was really black. Dirty. Now I called and talked to Steve at your place. He said you guys aren't fans of Syn oil. Told me 85w-140. Seemed heavy but what do I know. Is that correct?

If the oil is dirty its doing its job I know. But why don't you guys like the Syn oil? Reduces heat. Really curious. Love your product. The dual sump in your housing on the oil is the only way to go IMO. I crawl so its important.

If I was to build another rig. You would get my business. Top notch! Thanks for your reply in advance. Larry
Old 05-10-2010, 09:46 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Like many things, quality can be vastly different. To say that synthetics, in general, are better is misleading. I have personally talked with gear installers around the country and many feel that some synthetics can be much worse than a cheap 90w. Many feel that they would never use synthetics in their own rigs.

Amsoil did a white paper a few years ago that shows the vast differences.

What diff do you have in your rig? If it's an ARB, could you be getting contamination from the air source?
Old 05-10-2010, 11:29 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Dynatrac
Like many things, quality can be vastly different. To say that synthetics, in general, are better is misleading. I have personally talked with gear installers around the country and many feel that some synthetics can be much worse than a cheap 90w. Many feel that they would never use synthetics in their own rigs.

Amsoil did a white paper a few years ago that shows the vast differences.

What diff do you have in your rig? If it's an ARB, could you be getting contamination from the air source?
I have ARB's with 5.38 ratio's. Could be. I was locked up in the rear quite a bit in Moab. I will check the compressor. It didn't run very long when I hit the switch so leaking shouldn't be a issue. I will check it again in a month or so.

I'm also using Chevron Delo Gear Lube ESI 85w-140. Its quality stuff. We use Cheveron in all our Big Rigs. Haven't had one issue.

Hey guys, thanks for a fast response on my questions. I appreciate it.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have the Currie D60's on mine and I believe you get more clearance with them than any other one. That and the fact that the upturned case looks really cool.

Originally Posted by gilbo943
Was just wondering if you guys think that the Teraflex d60 is better or about the same as the Currie unit. Any thoughts would be great.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default I'm very impressed with Currie, Teraflex and Dynatrac

I'm about to order d60's for my JK and I like the sounds all of them. I called and got a quote from all of them and Dynatracs pricing is about $2500-$3000 more than Curries (Teraflex still isn't done with their front). I know you cant compare apples to apples completely, but lets be real here they are all bad azz Dana 60 axles that are all very strong. Currently I cant help but to lean towards Curries when you can save such a large amount of money. $2500-$3000 can buy a lot of other jeep parts.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:47 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by johnnyj33p
I'm about to order d60's for my JK and I like the sounds all of them. I called and got a quote from all of them and Dynatracs pricing is about $2500-$3000 more than Curries (Teraflex still isn't done with their front). I know you cant compare apples to apples completely, but lets be real here they are all bad azz Dana 60 axles that are all very strong. Currently I cant help but to lean towards Curries when you can save such a large amount of money. $2500-$3000 can buy a lot of other jeep parts.
I think if you saw the Currie axle sitting next to the DynaTrac axle, you would see why there is a price difference. The DynaTrac axles are by far a heavier duty axle. Which means they do weigh more, but unsprung weight is good for most forms of off roading anyway (with the exception of desert racing and such).
Old 07-30-2010, 10:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Stuka
I think if you saw the Currie axle sitting next to the DynaTrac axle, you would see why there is a price difference. The DynaTrac axles are by far a heavier duty axle. Which means they do weigh more, but unsprung weight is good for most forms of off roading anyway (with the exception of desert racing and such).
I've never seen them side by side before, where were you able to do that?

I don't think a four door JK needs any extra weight. If one is stronger than the other but they are both strong enough then I guess it doesn't really matter, if that's the case.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:36 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by johnnyj33p
I've never seen them side by side before, where were you able to do that?

I don't think a four door JK needs any extra weight. If one is stronger than the other but they are both strong enough then I guess it doesn't really matter, if that's the case.
Well, they were not on the ground side by side. But rather in two different Jeeps. The housing on the Pro Rock is certainly larger.

It should also be noted the Rock Jock is a high pinion setup in back, which means the R&P ride on the coast side of the teeth. This is a weaker setup when used in back (HP's are stronger in front, weaker in back).

Thats not to say the Currie won't work for you. You may never have an issue. But I know if I was to buy new axles, I would only want to do it once. If it meant saving up for a while longer to make sure the first set was my last set, then thats what I would do.

Quick Reply: TeraFlex 60 vs. Currie Rock Jock 60 vs. Dynatrac