Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Tenacious JK Build

Old 09-10-2021, 05:55 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tenacious JK Build

New to jeeps, (3 years) started playing and breaking, so in May , broke front ring gear and rear axle I decided to build it the way I think I want it. Seems to me that's what most do.coil over stretch next year but this is what I have done. Currie 60 HD low profile front, Currie 60 HD regular rear. 532 gears, new Center force flywheel and clutch, new everything that goes with it. Pilot bearing slave cylinder, bearing arm. Everything in the bell housing.drained and replaced oil. B&M shifter. Atlas 4 speed is on order and waiting. I already have EVO short arms, king 2.0 shocks and EVO armor. Installed big bore PSC pump and reservoir kit . Waiting for tie rod. 16 inch wheels with 37 inch Trepadors. New Tom Woods to come after transfer case is installed. Agian this is my first build of any type of vehicle so I'm learning as I go. Any advise , or criticism would be welcome. I am not sure if my 16 inch wheels are going to work and I still have to figure where the shifters will go. Having fun said the cripple old man!🤣🙄 I am very close to square as I have 95 1/4 inchs front to rear.. Dead straight side to side. Front pinion at 5.5 degrees and rear set at 25 degrees. Of course these might change once the Atlas is in and I can determine the best angle. Can't wait to get back out on the trails.

Old 09-11-2021, 08:18 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

You're putting too much into that to not have gone with full float rear axle IMO, but that ship has sailed. Most of us choose 17" wheels so that there's more clearance for bigger brakes. @TheDirtman will have the best build commentary for the path you're heading down.
Old 09-11-2021, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator

Received 480 Likes on 431 Posts

Never broken a diff off roading though and have had some crappy setups like modified Chev 79 SB with stock 1/2 ton diffs. A 60 semi-float diff is still stronger axle wise than a D44 setup is it not? Sometimes we seem to go way too far for axles. I run a 355HP Chev in mine on D44 stock Rubicon rear and no issues. All depends on how you wheel but Resharp has a point if you start using the lower end of that 4 speed Atlas.
Old 09-11-2021, 10:24 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

I look at it like this....there are very few things that will leave you dead in the water on a trail, and a broken rear axle shaft is one of those things with a semi float set up. If you are going to invest money in a D60, why not totally eliminate that Achilles heel. Maybe that is flawed thinking.
Old 09-11-2021, 01:58 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

I agree the axles were a mistake. Full float all the way with 17" wheels. I would just go with the 2 speed atlas unless you do a lot of techinical crawling. The low low will break stuff, never use it when bound up. Might as well stretch it now as you will be doing things twice. I would cut the brackets off that axle and put them where they should be. 1410 driveshafts with flanges at the transfer case. What is the WMS of the axle? What travel shocks?

Quick Reply: Tenacious JK Build