Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Tall skinny toyo mt installed today. Pics

Old 10-23-2010, 05:48 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you probably dont need wheel spacers huh?

a lot of highschool friends in Oregon used to use tall skinny tires for hunting, they swore by them because they got stuck less often in the mud.

but +3 to the spare being the same tire, (in a vehicle where the diffs are always turning, you can burn up one not having the same circumfrence.) for a short period of time it shouldnt be an issue, but with owning many AWD cars (subaru) and having a clutch type LSD rear diff they always said if you have a flat you have to rotate to the front to avoid screwing up the rear diff.
Old 10-23-2010, 09:51 AM
JK Newbie

Nope, no wheel spacers. That's one of the reasons I got tall skinnies. No need for new wheels, wheel spacers, or turn stop adjustments. I got the height I wanted without the width. Tires that are near 34" in dia. Are usually 12.5 wide or more. There is no way I could do that with no spacers or stock wheels. I have a few farmer friends who also swear by skinny tires for deep mud. One guy told me his old ford model "A" with tires that are as thin as blades can make it through mud that his land cruiser only dreams of. Something to it I think. As far as a small spare, I would never drive more than 30-40 miles home and that's it. I do plan on getting a same size spare, maybe an old used One on craigslist.
Old 10-23-2010, 10:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by davelong667
What about all the cars that come from the factory with a tiny donut spare that is much smaller than stock tires, will they burn up their diffs? Or traction control go nuts?
'donut' spare tires are often marked 50mph/50 miles only. This has nothing to do with the capability of the tire - the tire is actually capable of much much more.

It's marked that way for the VEHICLE. A donut is NEVER to be used on a driven axle (IE: on a front-wheel-drive car, NEVER put it on the front). This is because of the wear the drivetrain will encounter. Basically in 20 miles of driving it can cause more wear than 200 miles or turning alone.

This is further compounded by the ESP, etc. The Jeep will sense that one wheel is going faster and always try to correct for the problem.

Unless you're going to get a tow, you need 5 the same.

Old 10-23-2010, 10:28 AM
JK Newbie

I will search craigslist for a used one to get me by until i can buy a new toyo then. I am thinking of disabling ESP also, I was taking a turn on a steeply banked highway road and it kicked on. Probably due to larger tires. I need to turn it off soon. Thanks for the input guys.

Last edited by davelong667; 10-23-2010 at 10:30 AM.
Old 10-23-2010, 10:53 AM
JK Freak

I think it will look much nicer with 1.5 wheel spacers..
Old 10-23-2010, 11:37 AM
JK Newbie

And a hemi under the hood. Someday my jk will be tired and old, at which point I will build her back up with lockers, skid plates abound, 37s, and of course a hemi. All in due time, ...... Time.... Being a factor that can greatly reduce prices on things, including hemi swap kits......lol
Old 10-23-2010, 12:57 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

those look tall!! and skinny!! I agree with you, I like them.
Old 10-23-2010, 05:06 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the compliment. I went to dinner with my wife this evening and saw lots of other jeepers out. It definatley takes a little more oomph to get going now. Nothing bad though. I have the auto with 3.73s. It was super windy today 25mph constant with gusts to 35-40. Needless to say, my gas mileage suffered with head on wind and bigger tires now. Lol. I had to turn off the O/D. It was shifting up and down over and over. Coming home the wind died down almost completely. No more shifting problems after that.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Do you get better gas mileage with skinny tires vs wider tires because of less drag on the road?

Looks nice though
Old 10-25-2010, 07:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

You know, there's a guy on the Eastern Shore of Maryland who did the same thing. He got some skinny Toyo's and put them on his stock rim. At least I think they were skinny. He's got a Red Rock JK, and I'm sure there's a pic of it on here somewhere. He said he was really impressed with it. At the time, I don't think he had done much real wheeling with them. Please post updates on how your new shoes do when you get a chance to wheel them. Looking forward!!!

Quick Reply: Tall skinny toyo mt installed today. Pics