Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Tailgate Mod For Hardtop Owners

Old 09-14-2009, 01:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tailgate Mod For Hardtop Owners

Hey gang-

I don't know if anyone else has this problem, but I have been beating the crap out of the top of my tailgate with the hardtop when I take it on and off. I take it on and off by myself so sometimes it drags across the tailgate and scratches the paint off, dents it, etc. I would like to eventually bedline this portion, but for now, this is a good cheap mod to at least make it look a bit better and to offer it some protection. So I went to pep boys and got some door molding and some 1/2 inch safety tape (there are two kinds, get the one that is smoother to the touch, not the one that feels like skateboard grip tape. You will know which one because it has the consistency of bed liner). I applied the tape and the molding and here is the result. Hopefully this mod might help someone else who is having the same issue.

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tailgate Mod 001.jpg
Views:	589
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	30112   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tailgate Mod 002.jpg
Views:	492
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	30113   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tailgate Mod 003.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	30114  

Last edited by surf9; 09-14-2009 at 01:33 PM.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

That's a really good idea, i like it a lot. I'm definitely going to have to do this.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i thought jeepers won't supose to worry about scratches. if we are, i don't know how im going to get to sleep tonight
Old 09-14-2009, 02:28 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good idea!
Old 09-14-2009, 02:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

That looks better then bedliner to me.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

that looks really good!!!!!!

I was worried about mine too, for lots of reason's so I just got the whole thing Line-X'd!!!!

Old 09-14-2009, 02:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice Line-X, that's sharp looking. Like the tire carrier too.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:44 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by surf9
Hey gang-

I don't know if anyone else has this problem, but I have been beating the crap out of the top of my tailgate with the hardtop when I take it on and off. I take it on and off by myself so sometimes it drags across the tailgate and scratches the paint off, dents it, etc. I would like to eventually bedline this portion, but for now, this is a good cheap mod to at least make it look a bit better and to offer it some protection. So I went to pep boys and got some door molding and some 1/2 inch safety tape (there are two kinds, get the one that is smoother to the touch, not the one that feels like skateboard grip tape. You will know which one because it has the consistency of bed liner). I applied the tape and the molding and here is the result. Hopefully this mod might help someone else who is having the same issue.

Cheers!
Dude am I seeing things or do you have blue tail light lenses? Those are cool, where'd you get'em?
Old 09-14-2009, 06:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Adam3612
Dude am I seeing things or do you have blue tail light lenses? Those are cool, where'd you get'em?
I think it is the sunlight hitting it and refracting thru the camera lense. They are just the stock ones. Blue would be cool as hell though. Sorry to let you down bud.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JEEP THRILLS
i thought jeepers won't supose to worry about scratches. if we are, i don't know how im going to get to sleep tonight
To each his own. I don't worry about scratches, but I do worry about rust.

Last edited by surf9; 09-14-2009 at 06:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Tailgate Mod For Hardtop Owners