Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Tailgate Kit released!

Old 07-30-2009, 10:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like the idea of it...
Old 07-30-2009, 10:22 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by redrockin7
The other thread I read on this said that the factory latching mechanism and the curve to the tailgate allow it to stay latched nice and tight despite no right side latching mechanism. I'm not sure how many miles of R&D and what speeds, etc. it's been put through to prove that, but just reporting what I've read elsewhere on lack of right side latch.
Sounds like one more spot for a nice rattle.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

i would be interested if the rear black peace would be full tailgate cover. to do a smoot looking job. and some evo corners and a warrior license plate relacator.. maby
Old 07-30-2009, 12:18 PM
JK Super Freak

awesome, i want one! i've been wanting to do this forever! this is the only thing i miss about my pickup
Old 07-30-2009, 01:07 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by 07Rubi2dr
awesome, i want one! i've been wanting to do this forever! this is the only thing i miss about my pickup
I miss having a pick-up bed. But, since I gave the pick-up to my son, I can always reach out and "borrow it." LOL.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:26 PM
JK Super Freak

I don't think the stock hinges would hold 300-400lb. like the ones he is using... heck, they sag and my door hard to close when I have a bike rack with 2 bikes attached to my 32" rubi MT.

And that combination ways nowhere near 300-400lb...
Old 07-30-2009, 06:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like this, and according to the site "These two plates are spaced out on the bottom
to allow air flow while replacing the factory air vent on your tailgate." I'd probably leave the factory vent, it is OK with me and I do not care for the Jeep logo. Having a tailgate "table" could be very handy.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:40 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

The Jeep logo concern is a valid one. The vendor should pursue that.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dadgummit
I am not sure how well that would work with aftermarket tire carriers (though you would have to use one). the way the rear door is now, if the carrier starts to swing closed it will bump the door and push it along. If the same happens with that kit you have a dent in the tailgate, possibly enough of one to cause it to not be able to close. You would have to open the carrier the full 90 degrees and make sure it stays there. It seems like alot of trouble for the small added utility of the tailgate.

Also it looks like you do not get the uility of the vent in the back which is nice if you use the ventelation system while the windows are up.
I'm with you. Obviously my CJ7 has the fold down gate. Honestly, how often would you use the gate for a table/workbench/ whatever? While my CJ isn't quite done in all my years of off-roading TJs I have never found myself saying "Damn, if I only had a fold down tailgate." It is definitly cool to look at but real world function????? Leave the tailgates as they are.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:20 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by AdamH
I'm with you. Obviously my CJ7 has the fold down gate. Honestly, how often would you use the gate for a table/workbench/ whatever? While my CJ isn't quite done in all my years of off-roading TJs I have never found myself saying "Damn, if I only had a fold down tailgate." It is definitly cool to look at but real world function????? Leave the tailgates as they are.
I would love the tailgate version for my TJ. I've never really like the way it swings out now, I always have to watch it so it doesn't hit other peoples cars (no limiting strap).

Here is a guy who did the conversion for a TJ.

http://gprguy.com/2007/07/15/cj-tailgate/

I like how it has the Jeep logo in the actual tailgate

Quick Reply: Tailgate Kit released!