Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Swirl marks in paint

Old 01-16-2012, 04:16 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swirl marks in paint

What product is best to remove swirl marks in paint?
Old 01-16-2012, 04:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm a big fan of a product called "fit my JK in a ATV trail" , it will take care of the swirl marks allright

Old 01-16-2012, 06:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Orbital buffer and compound
Old 01-16-2012, 06:28 AM
JK Newbie

Wash, Clay, Wash, Polish, Wax. Use a random orbital buffer with a light cutting pad (typically orange) for the polish, and a blue or white pad for the wax. You can wax by hand, doesn't make much of a difference.

A polish will typically remove and fill in most of your swirls. I use Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover, then Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish, and then Pinnacle Souveran Wax. Needless to say the paint is back to new after that 8 hour process.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Ive been doin the jeep in atv trail a little too. Tree branch marks everywhere. its winter. Being dirty it will blend in. haha
Old 01-16-2012, 08:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default 3m rubbing compound

3m rubbing compound
Old 01-16-2012, 09:00 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to work as a detailer.

How bad are the swirl marks? If they are light and more like spider webbing, then use a product like Scratch X 2.0 or Meguiars Deep Crystal polish. Remember, speed is the key, not pressure when hand buffing.
If it is a deeper cut, then a rubbing compound would work, but not too much!!

After you polish, make sure you follow up with a wax and/or sealant.
NOTE: I hand buff ALL of my vehicles and never use an random orb/orbital unless absolutely needed.

This is an older picture, but it shows the kind of finish I get after a swirl-X 2.0 and Collinite's 845 wax:
Old 01-16-2012, 09:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Why spend time buffing and waxing when you could be on the trails having fun letting more tree branches squeek down the sides. I knock the dirt off with my pressure washer and keep it clean but my spare time is meant for trails not petting my Jeep.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:25 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Pushrod
Why spend time buffing and waxing when you could be on the trails having fun letting more tree branches squeek down the sides. I knock the dirt off with my pressure washer and keep it clean but my spare time is meant for trails not petting my Jeep.
If you live in the salt belt as I do, a small trail scratch can turn into a giant rust hole. Then the value of the Jeep is gone, and problems will arise left and right.

I do bash my Jeep when I can, but take care in "winterizing" my Jeep. I would bedline the whole dang thing if I could....but perhaps will save that for my next 4 door.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:29 PM
JK Newbie

I like to keep my Jeep looking as new as possible.

Quick Reply: Swirl marks in paint