Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Super chips vivid #538750

Old 12-30-2011, 09:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sahara_Maverick
Thanks for posting this review.

So, does it detect other programs and stops by itself or this is in the installation instructions?

Does it allow for backing-up the settings in a memory card or a PC?
I can't confirm for sure if it detects others or not, but the Superchips Manual absolutely says to remove all other prior programs, as well as to be certain to return to stock each time you take to dealer just in case they (dealer) do an upgrade or the superchips will require an unlocking or something like.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just came back inside to update, I just successfully programmed the 91 tune!

In my excitement I wasn't following directions and when the ACHOS display told me to turn key on (engine off), well I didn't have it turned far enough and the display said to call superchips, which I DID but they are closed....I cussed and persisted on and clicked the key one more notch and everything worked perfectly! You will know if you key on engine off is on when all the cluster lights illuminate as below

Click image for larger version

Name:	droid3 015.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	256420Click image for larger version

Name:	droid3 020.jpg
Views:	446
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	256421Click image for larger version

Name:	droid3 021.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	256422

The programming process starts with checking for OBD codes and then saves a copy of your stock tune and then you can select your desired program. I went with the 91 tune advanced since I have 35's, but it didn't install right so I did the quick 91 tune and installed first and then went back and changed my axle ratio and tire size and it took it and saved. Its cool because it confirms everything and gives you a chance to say okay before committing.

Played with inclinometer and set the gauge face to be a red JKU like mine and thought that was neat.. Tooled around with gauge center and was very amazed how much data logging and various gauges you could add. Seems one could easily ignore the stock cluster and run exclusive vivid gauges. Heck there were gauges for short term fuel trims and everything...I got lost on how many choices there are.

Now I have to talk my daughter into a test drive, but she is busy playing spongebob on WII
Old 12-30-2011, 09:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Here it is in action saving the stock tune...Click image for larger version

Name:	droid3 014.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	256423
Old 12-30-2011, 10:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for posting this review.

Does it allow for backing-up the settings in a memory card or a PC?
Good point the ARCHOS tablet does have a mirco sd card slot. I'll pull my spare card and see if I can get it to save to the card as well. Probably protected I'd think due to numerous reasons, although it is a somewhat worthless stock set file, so maybe.

BTW the ARCHOS has so many other features, 720 camera and video will come in handy for trail rides etc....
Old 12-30-2011, 11:00 AM
JK Newbie

Default have several archos 43`s already

That looks cool. Can I buy the vivid minus the unit???
Old 12-30-2011, 03:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nailit
Do you mean can you get the app for your android smart phone?

You would still need the vivid link that goes to your OBD port....I think I remember seeing superchips was thinking about this. You would have to ask the superchips guy here on the forum...

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...bin-programmer
Old 12-30-2011, 04:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Nailit
Originally Posted by rubi_kong

Do you mean can you get the app for your android smart phone?

You would still need the vivid link that goes to your OBD port....I think I remember seeing superchips was thinking about this. You would have to ask the superchips guy here on the forum...

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...bin-programmer

For what I read, and understood, Superchips is planning to release the Avid, which is the app plus a Bluetooth dongle. The planned time is Summer 2012, but I would not hold my breath, based on how long it took to release this one.

I already have an Archos 5 media player. But since it does not run Android it's useless for this. However, I'm still debating about buying the whole thing or not. I am planning to buy a tablet and that Avid model would be a better option.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

For what I read, and understood, Superchips is planning to release the Avid, which is the app plus a Bluetooth dongle. The planned time is Summer 2012, but I would not hold my breath, based on how long it took to release this one.

I already have an Archos 5 media player. But since it does not run Android it's useless for this. However, I'm still debating about buying the whole thing or not. I am planning to buy a tablet and that Avid model would be a better option.
Yeah, I get it, why spend money to duplicate. If it helps I just noticed superchips is doing a rebate for $75 off right now on top of what you could negotiate with a shop. Try calling jsc if you want and tell em I sent ya.

For me the choice was simple, I am a daily android user with my droid cell using fryo, so although I thought about the idea of just waiting for the app, it is really nice to have a stand alone unit. I can't tell you how many times I've needed my phone in the car and my 6 year old is busy playing angry birds. Now we won't have to share. Plus I like the idea of having a dedicated unit for the heep...as phones get beat up and are prone to damage etc from daily use (besides how often people change phones). When I need the ACHOS-vivid for tuning it will be there, so for me it was either pay the 3-400 for the flashpaq, or get the vivid and a whole bunch more. I get wifi now in the jeep with the ACHOS when parked close to the house...lots of little freebies like that I am slowly realizing. Heck just the nature of it being android, the endless apps available make it a bargain.

No affiliation, this thing just blows my mind and thus far has surpassed my expectations.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Yup. What is making me lean towards the Vivid is having a dedicated unit. I agree that it's a safer bet. Sincerely, I do not feel very confident about installing apps and using the device risking screwing-up the programer.

So, Superchips is giving a $75 rebate over whatever lowest price we find? That would be nice. 8-)

Last edited by Sahara_Maverick; 12-30-2011 at 06:41 PM.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yup. So, Superchips is giving a $75 rebate over whatever lowest price we find? That would be nice. 8-)
yes sir google it

Quick Reply: Super chips vivid #538750