Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Summer Top Advice - NON MESH

Old 06-20-2012, 05:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Summer Top Advice - NON MESH

I'm seeking input (showing pics or telling stories) on the best safari top for a 2012 JK (one that covers the cab and the back seat). I have already come across several threads on this subject and they all seem to revert to a debate between the Spider Web Shade and the Dirty Dawg Shade (or some really awesome home-engineered versions!). Those all look way cool but they lack the one thing I'd like to have: the modest rain protection that comes from a solid top. I can put up with some flapping and I suspect that a header bar will be required.

I would appreciate direct experiences and/or pics on which brand is of the highest quality and maybe even get some input on installation.

Thanks in advance for help!
Old 06-20-2012, 07:04 PM
JK Newbie

Im curious as well!
Old 06-20-2012, 07:36 PM
JK Freak

Take a look at the Bestop Safari Header Tops. You will need a header retaining channel.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:35 PM
JK Super Freak

I have the smittybilt extended brief top ( Smittybilt Part 94535 - Extended Brief Top ) I'm not exactly sure why the top looks mesh and see through in the picture on the website put there is absolutely no sun penetration whatsoever. I love it! I originally ordered the smittybilt header channel along with the top. I had it on for about two weeks and was going about 70 on the freeway for literally not more than about 2 minutes and I heard and saw the header channel bend up along with the mounting brackets and threaded knobs that attached it. It held bent up like that for a few weeks but I didn't really trust it and it started a whistle. I then ordered the Bestop header ( Bestop Part 51243-01 - Quick Detach Windshield Channel ) and it has been great!! Just during the install with the differently designed brackets I could tell that the Bestop was the way to go. (and it was a few bucks cheaper than the SB) I have gone well over 80 with this one and it is very stout and have no problems whatsoever with it!
I hope this is what you are looking for and it helped! I don't have any pictures right now but I can get some soon if you would like.

Good luck with your desicion and let me know if you have any questions.

Nick
Old 06-21-2012, 05:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had the same questions and needs as you do. I finally ened up ordering the bestop safari top, dust cover, and windjammer combo. It should arrive by saturday and then i'll install and put some pics up here for you.
I went this way after a lot of research because I also wanted the top off but in Illinois it still rains on and off unexpectedly. I might get the spydershade too and switch between the two but we'll see how this goes first. Oh and if you do go my route, you do need to buybthe $50 header channel to attach the front of the top to the windshield
Old 06-21-2012, 05:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cali Cosmos
I have the smittybilt extended brief top ( Smittybilt Part 94535 - Extended Brief Top ) I'm not exactly sure why the top looks mesh and see through in the picture on the website put there is absolutely no sun penetration whatsoever. I love it! I originally ordered the smittybilt header channel along with the top. I had it on for about two weeks and was going about 70 on the freeway for literally not more than about 2 minutes and I heard and saw the header channel bend up along with the mounting brackets and threaded knobs that attached it. It held bent up like that for a few weeks but I didn't really trust it and it started a whistle. I then ordered the Bestop header ( Bestop Part 51243-01 - Quick Detach Windshield Channel ) and it has been great!! Just during the install with the differently designed brackets I could tell that the Bestop was the way to go. (and it was a few bucks cheaper than the SB) I have gone well over 80 with this one and it is very stout and have no problems whatsoever with it!
I hope this is what you are looking for and it helped! I don't have any pictures right now but I can get some soon if you would like.

Good luck with your desicion and let me know if you have any questions.

Nick
Thanks for posting you're experience with the header bars. i'm really glad to hear the bestop bar holds up well, since I just ordered one too
Old 06-21-2012, 07:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the input, particularly Cali Cosmos for the comparison! I'll give the Bestop a look.

How does the header attach to the top and the windshield?

I'd really like a few more perspectives, so please chime in. Thanks again!
Old 06-21-2012, 09:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by money546
Thanks for the input, particularly Cali Cosmos for the comparison! I'll give the Bestop a look.

If you take a look at the items at the Quadratec or Morris 4x4 websites, when you click on the items most of them have PDF links to the instruction sheets, which I found really helpful in my search for the top....it also helped me a lot for other parts since I am also a JK noob right now
Old 06-21-2012, 10:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by money546

No problem! Like I said if you some pics just let me know!.

Originally Posted by ddubb
If you take a look at the items at the Quadratec or Morris 4x4 websites, when you click on the items most of them have PDF links to the instruction sheets, which I found really helpful in my search for the top....it also helped me a lot for other parts since I am also a JK noob right now
Yes, you could easily just download the instructions and look at them. There are also a few on 4WD.com too.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want a truly versatile safari top that can be used in the rain, look hard at the trektop nx.

Quick Reply: Summer Top Advice - NON MESH