Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Summer Hemi

Old 05-04-2009, 04:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Summer Hemi

I'm getting ready for a 6.1 Hemi Swap date will be sometime this summer. I look to get some 37" tires along with beadlock wheels sometime after.

I have a 2dr Rubicon auto with 5.13 gears and 1350 driveshafts.

Here is my question: What should I do with my axels? Go dana 60s? Reinforce my dana 44s?

I know that this depends on the kind of wheeling I plan to do. Where I live the trails are usually muddy and very irregular. No slow rock crawling here.

Suggestions please

Thanks
Old 05-04-2009, 04:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow! My Flame Red 2 door is begging for a Hemi. You my friend have the big plan and I'm anxious to see pics of this build. I will let the big guys who do the swaps answer your question definitively about Dana 44 and 60. I know that if I had the funds 60's are just so big and beefy I don't see how you could leave them off the list if you got that much muscle to turn them.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Geeper4x4
Wow! My Flame Red 2 door is begging for a Hemi. You my friend have the big plan and I'm anxious to see pics of this build. I will let the big guys who do the swaps answer your question definitively about Dana 44 and 60. I know that if I had the funds 60's are just so big and beefy I don't see how you could leave them off the list if you got that much muscle to turn them.
Thanks, but I'm concerned about the total weight since where I live everyone advises against heavy 4x4 vehicles because of the mainly muddy terrain here. The weight bogs you down and then you are stuck Then again it could be BS
Old 05-04-2009, 06:08 AM
JK Freak

there are two trains of thought. since you will be getting the hemi you could blast your way though almost anything with enough tire spin and an agressive tread tire. or just lift it high and pray you dont sink on frame. you could have a huge lift and the hemi. the JKs are heavy to begin with, whats alittle extra weight
Old 05-04-2009, 07:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

The shops that do the installs don’t recommend changing out your D44s just because of the engine swap.

Your type of off-roading may change that, but unless you are going to bash the Jeep keeping them stock is just fine, I would go to 5.13s because of the 37s
Old 05-04-2009, 11:21 AM
JK Junkie

I think you should go with the axles first just to stay on the safe side and break less $h!t.

That's what i'm doing at least... beefing up my axles/ shafts... for a 6.1 Hemi
Old 05-04-2009, 12:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by planman
From another thread, this is the type of wheeling jayrav does.

So, do you guys still think that his 2dr, with a 6.1 Hemi, mud, irregular terrain, heavier throttle, and 37s, the Rubi lockers will hold up?

I am thinking that since WOL has broken something like 3 Rubi lockers on 37s with his 4dr and stock engine, jayrav would be wasting money trying to upgrade the Rubi D44s with stock lockers. WOL upgraded to a rear D44 from a Sahara so he could run an ARB--and maybe stronger rear shafts.
Originally Posted by Lo2aY
I think you should go with the axles first just to stay on the safe side and break less $h!t.

That's what i'm doing at least... beefing up my axles/ shafts... for a 6.1 Hemi
It looks like I'm looking at a set of D60's

Suggestions are still welcome.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:54 PM
JK Newbie

Hey you dont have to go as big as D60's pro rock has a really strong 44 with high pinions.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by texasman1383
Hey you dont have to go as big as D60's pro rock has a really strong 44 with high pinions.
Thats what I thought in the begining, but if I'm going to drop the $$$ on new axels might as well get the D60s and save myself future headaches and regrets.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

im planning on doing a hemi swap sometime soon, but i will be keeping my 33s i have an x so its 30/44 axles, and im wondering if they will hold up with the 6.1?

Quick Reply: Summer Hemi