Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

STUPID things you've done while working on your JK

Old 11-19-2011, 10:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jsboening
How about adding fresh motor oil before reinstalling the drain plug. I think it took me 3 or 4 quarts to realize what was going on.
I've done that before on my brand new driveway!
Old 11-20-2011, 05:12 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JK10
spent several hours installing my new 3.5" lift to go with my new 35's, lowered it to the ground and drove off. on the ride home, went around a slight curve and suddenly I had 3 tires instead of 4. first and last time I forget to tighten all the lugnuts
Been there done that on my old YJ. I was on I-95 about to get off the exit. When all of a sudden i saw a tire go in front of me and realized it was mine....Talk about a scary moment!
Old 11-20-2011, 12:47 PM
JK Freak

So a couple of months ago I installed the Dynomax Rockcrawler exhaust. One of the bolts that fits the clamp around the exhaust tip kept hitting the frame and rattling. It was driving me nuts. One day I didn't have time to mess with it so I wrapped some electrical tape around the bolt. Problem solved.. For a day. Stupid thing started rattling again. I was running late, still didn't have time to screw with it so I backed the bolt out a couple of turns. Problem solved...temporarily again. I got home from work, got out to get the mail and heard the familiar rattle. I walked over and put my hand on the scalding hot exhaust to push it down and see if it was touching anything. Here's the result..

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-675266869.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	239383
Old 11-20-2011, 04:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Hand vs my knife guess who won....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20111120_202528.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	239459  
Old 11-21-2011, 01:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default whoa..

Was sitting in the garage on my couch admiring my YJ while smoking a cig (i know, yuck)and drinking a beer, I noticed something dripping on the floor next to my driver-side rear tire. Thought to myself, what the hell could that be. So I proceeded to investigate w/ lit cigarette in mouth, kneeled down to see where it was coming from. well, I noticed that my mini keg shaped fuel filter was rotted/rusted out and was leaking fuel at a rate of maybe a drop per second. realized it was gas, said "oh sh!t" and ripped the cig outta my mouth and flung it across the garage............next to two full gas cans and half full used oil pan. felt like one of those accident prone people. nothing happened though.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by notsoricer
I've done that before on my brand new driveway!
Never left the plug out but once I lost about 3 qts because when I put the new filter on I didn't realize that the old filter rubber ring thing detached fromt the filter and stayed up in the oil filter location, crooked and left a nice gap for the black gold to come oozing out.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jeepchief
Never left the plug out but once I lost about 3 qts because when I put the new filter on I didn't realize that the old filter rubber ring thing detached fromt the filter and stayed up in the oil filter location, crooked and left a nice gap for the black gold to come oozing out.
I have done that, except the pressure built up while I was standing there letting it idle. and then went "pow", oil all over. Almost had to change my drawers.

Not on my Jk, but on my recently purchased sand rail project. After working on one of the rear brakes, went tearing off down the road. Got about 4 miles from home and start hearing an awful noise. Forgot to tighten the lugs. Got lucky and no harm done, but had to call my wife to bring me a socket and ratchet. Of course she brought the wrong one so had to go get the right one. At my age, was a pretty stupid mistake, Doh.

My PureJeep bumper for my JK did not come with instructions. I figured I had room to put my Warn 9.5ti on after installing the bumper. Not. Got to tear it back off and do it again.

And I always have to triple check not to leave tools under the hood. Have done that before on vehicles over the years.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Yankee

And I always have to triple check not to leave tools under the hood. Have done that before on vehicles over the years.
pretty sure the engine bay is just a backup tool chest
Old 11-21-2011, 09:37 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by sneck

pretty sure the engine bay is just a backup tool chest
Yup. Ive done that in my first car. Left a couple of hex keys in there. Was fine til I did a quick turn then heard grinding sounds. Luckily I pulled over and found the keys before they did any permanent damage. And earlier this summer after doing a tire rotation I did a run around the block to make everything is ok. Only to find out I left lock keg socket for my lugs on the spare tire. Lol.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dcharge74
This thread is for anyone that has had one of those ,,, or moments while trying to mod their Jeep. Come on, we've all had them. Now you can go ahead and share your moment in the sun with the rest of the forum. Please try and hold off on the flaming. Everyone screws up at least once in their life. And to prove my point, I'll start.....

Over a month ago, I made a futile attempt to install my TF front lower control arms in my driveway, by myself. After a few hours of struggling to get the first one on, I gave up and re-installed the stock arm. Well, over a month and TWO wheeling trips later(one of which was a three hour drive one way), I decided that today was a good day to extend my breathers. I lay down under the Jeep and this is the first thing that I see...........

I know this isn't a Jeep picture/story, but it's a very funny adjustable wrench picture. Found this at a facility I worked at and yes, it's welded on there!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Adj Wrench 2.JPG
Views:	661
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	239798

Quick Reply: STUPID things you've done while working on your JK