Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

STUPID things you've done while working on your JK

Old 11-19-2011, 01:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mstrofpuppets
Changing the oil, dropped the plug in the pan used to catch the oil, oil was hot and I still stuck my hand in to get the drain plug.....
lol when i replaced my oil pan i did the same thing. Except i did it on a windy day. the oil missed the drain pan and pissed all over me and underneath my jeep.... i was sooo pissed
Old 11-19-2011, 05:31 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My girlfriends dad and I were installing my lift and we had a breaker bar on a bolt and he was straining pretty good. The socket slipped off and the breaker bar flew up and busted him in the eye. His glasses shattered and flew off his face and he had a cut just outside of his eye. Of course, here i am laughing so hard i have tears in my eyes and i'm a nursing student, i should have at least made sure he was okay before busting out laughing.

oddly enough he has had numerous head injuries related to working on my Jeep, so i always joke about bringing the helmet over when we have to work on it.

I still laugh my ass off when i think about that, i literally had to walk around the garage to pick up pieces of his glasses.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:34 AM
JK Newbie

similar thing happened to me when I was installing my teraflex lift...I ended up punching my friend because he wouldn't stop laughing at my broken glasses
Old 11-19-2011, 11:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Didn't know my girl friend took my jeep went to change the oil... Boy that felt good
Old 11-19-2011, 11:49 AM
JK Freak

When I was adding my transmission cooler, I had to take off the coolant reservoir to access the transmission lines. After I put it all back together, I left the coolant reservoir sitting on the axle. After hearing some terrible noises and smelling coolant I decided to pull over. My poor coolant reservoir was mangled by the fan and serpentine belt Fortunately it was a cheap fix to get a new one and install a new idler pulley that had so much molten plastic around it that it could barely spin.
Old 11-19-2011, 12:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about adding fresh motor oil before reinstalling the drain plug. I think it took me 3 or 4 quarts to realize what was going on.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

While installing my old lift, i loosened the control arm brackets, but my dumbass forgot to loosen the trac bar bolts... so come 10k miles later, failed track bar bushings and the most epic deathwobble ever. i cant even get up to 40 before shaking my way back down. Rk xfactor 3.5 in transit to my place now. got it without brakelines from northridge for 1,420. not bad
Old 11-19-2011, 10:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Fresh off the press, just happened this afternoon. Was dropping my rear driveshaft but forgot to engage the e brake or put chokes on the tires. That goodness the garage has only a Slight slant to it because I was wondering why the shaft kept turning after I disengaged one end. Nearly peed my pants when I realized the whole Jeep was moving! I ended up seizing the shaft, turning my creeper upside down and jamming it under one tire to stop the Jeep before it rolled over me
Old 11-19-2011, 10:17 PM
JK Freak

While installing my lift, I grabbed the wrong set of extended brake lines for the front. We all thought they were too short, and were gonna leave the old ones on. Later I realized the mix up. Funny thing is, both bags had different part numbers, and I knew this. I eyed them up while they were in the bags and thought they were the same. Ooops. Fortunatly, no harm done, and the new lines are on in their correct positions!
Old 11-19-2011, 10:42 PM
JK Newbie

Default Stupid things done while upgrading my new jeep

1. While replacing Wrangler original factor springs, I took the shocks off first and jacked up the Jeep, almost ripping the brakes lines apart with the weight of the axle. I caught it in time, the line was pretty tight, no leaks...yet.

2. When replacing the original factory oil pan with the Rock Krawler deep pan, I installed the new deeper pan without checking for proper fitment. Who would have thought that the holes in the new pan need to be enlarged on some of the thirteen bolts. Most of the bolts threaded in by hand, but one bolt was tight, so I used a wrench, I almost stripped the aluminum transmission badly. As it was, I wrecked the first threads on that one bolt hole and it took two hours to work the hole with a tap tool to finally get a nice clean threaded hole. I dodged a bullet on that one. While having a tape tool, I tapped all the holes and now I have a lot more threads to grab using nice new stainless bolts, and even on the hard to reach three in the back, I used studs, and nuts. Wow, very nice installation now. Very proud indeed.

3. While upgrading my oil pan, I decided to cut, the exhaust pipe away, near the section that is flat from the factory, near the transmission. There are three bolts that are impossible to torque properly with the exhaust pipe in the way. I made a nice round section, it is removable so that when I do this job again, I do not have to fight the three back screws to properly torque them. Found that after I installed the section of exhaust pipe, it leaks and make a nice extra exhaust noise when I drive it around town. I had to redo the section and cut slits in the pipe on the end to allow the "U" clamps to work. Now is a very nice custom exhaust, I got a nicer sound out of the deal too. I lost 3/4 ground clearance there, but it is removable now and will save a ton of time for the next tranny filter change.

4. After working on the back door, I slammed the door closed, the door did not close all the way. I looked inside, seeing that all was clear, I slammed again. Still the door would not close and lock all the way. I looked in again and noticed that the back door on the JK, has a funny inside shape to it, it has a factory bulge and then an indent, now I have a real in-dent. I was closing the door on the dog ramp folded neatly in the back. The dog ramp won and dented the inside of the door, the part of the door that has a bulge. Dumb Jeep design not making the door the same thickness all the way. Stupid me, for not seeing that. I fixed the dent by using a flat tool and worked the dent out, then I used a nice looking anti-slip ladder black tape from 3M. The tape is thick plastic, and hides some of the uneven parts in the paint. Now no one will know, when you look at it is really a nice idea. Protects the door for the next slamming session with another item that is in the way.

Last edited by JK2011MAN; 11-19-2011 at 10:55 PM.

Quick Reply: STUPID things you've done while working on your JK