Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

STUPID things you've done while working on your JK

Old 11-18-2011, 09:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharkey
I did the knife into the hand thing as well: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...C-and-Stitches
OUCH!
Old 11-18-2011, 09:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Did two things while installing my first lift kit on my last JK.. First when I was trying to install the new front springs I was having a bitch of a time lowering the axle enough to slip them in. There was nothing supporting them and all looked great. I even had my helper stand on it but wouldn't budge enough. After a beer I went underneath and saw the front skid plate was blocking the drive shaft from moving farther down..Guess I should have read the directions a bit more, especially the section that said "remove front skid plate"..

Second, same lift kit, I was adjust the steering wheel back to centre using the drag link (I think that's what it's called). My wife was in the seat telling me how much to turn it.. I kept turning and turning..Eventually she said the wheel was straight. I had her pull out of the garage. She tried to turn right but the wheels wouldn't turn. She had me adjust the stearing wheel almost two full turns, maxing out the steering/wheels against the stops.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:01 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When i was putting on my TeraFlex lift, i went through and loosened everything up on the front end, got my jackstands all set up to plop the front axle on when i pulled the control arms... i forgot to finish disconnecting the front driverside shock.

Loud BANG, i crapped myself & there was shock oil EVERYWHERE.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

While installing my leveling kit, I was in the garage with the door shut, it's Colorado at night in late October, so it's cold. Well, I lifted the front end up to set it on jack stands, while jacking it up I set my hand on the bumper to lift myself up and instead of me going up, the jeep went back....right into the garage door. I crapped my pants, checked the jeep for any dings or scratches, then ran the garage door up and down about 200 times to make sure I didn't damage that, I put the stupid thing in gear and decided to continue later. The next attemp was much more successful though.

This thread is frickin' funny man! OP nice work!!
Old 11-18-2011, 10:29 AM
JK Freak

Removed damaged rear drive shaft, then put auto trans in park to stop it from rolling downhill while stranded on an incline off road. DUMB and could have ended dangerously. Brainfart.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:37 AM
JK Newbie

Just finished installing a Terflex BB. Being a noob, I didn't know a track bar from a control arm (sad, I know). I proceeded to remove all 4 control arms before doing the install. Getting them back on the rear wasn't too bad, but the front required a significant amount of jack gymnastics to get the axle lined up and straight so I could get the arms back on!

And no wrenches stuck on the control arm bolts
Old 11-18-2011, 11:23 AM
JK Newbie

Default Lift

No... didn't get the chance... I just finished cranking the jack all the way up reached up and grabbed a hold of the spare tire and the jeep started to chase me... Bent the jack in half... but I managed to get away in time.

Originally Posted by JK10
whaaaa?? did you actually crawl underneath the Jeep like that?
Old 11-18-2011, 11:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by llind
No... didn't get the chance... I just finished cranking the jack all the way up reached up and grabbed a hold of the spare tire and the jeep started to chase me... Bent the jack in half... but I managed to get away in time.
That's scary stuff. Similar thing happened to me working on my Toyota SR5 4x4 years ago. Jacked it up on, tires off side I was working on, worked under it a while, crawled out to get some more tools out of the garage. BAM. It fell... not 10 seconds after I crawled out from under it. Major stupid moment. Needless to say I've never been under a vehicle not supported by jackstands since. I left it sitting there a good half hour trying not to think about what almost happened. Lesson Learned.

There was that time I picked up my truck after tranny work and the main bearing support wasn't bolted back on. Thank god the driveshafts seperated at a stop light and not going down the highway. Lesson Learned: inspect everything even when worked on by a pro shop.

Good stories everyone; even better lessons!

Last edited by BigMAK1; 11-18-2011 at 11:38 AM.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Forgot to put oil drain plug back in when changing oil, 6 qaurts later I'm noticing that I created a huge oil spill in my driveway! Lol
Old 11-18-2011, 02:25 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dropped a screw down the air vent gap abyss but it was still visable. Then tried to brush it out with a paint brush. Now I have a screw and a paint brush in the abyss of the dash gap

Quick Reply: STUPID things you've done while working on your JK