Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

STUPID things you've done while working on your JK

Old 11-16-2011, 06:42 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At least you know you had a good grip on it
Old 11-16-2011, 06:44 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by greenenvey
i was having a heck of a time putting my rear spring back in while installing my lift kit, i had a prybar pulling down with everything i had in me and the bar slipt out of my hand and the handle came up under my chin and knocked me out!!! i had a sore jaw for a month...
OUCH! That's a good one right there.

This one isn't Jeep related but it's a good one. I had a 1983 F150 Supercab. It was my first truck and a great one at that. I was doing my periodic maintenance and had the front tires up on ramps. Being young and dumb and...(you know the rest), I decided I didn't need to put on the parking brake or chock the rear tires. I was underneath the vehicle inspecting stuff and needed to slide over. Well I reach up without looking, grabbed and pulled. Much to my surprise I'd pulled the transmission shift linkage and pulled the truck out of park. As it rolled down the ramps, the oil drain pan brushed my nose. God was with me that day.

I always use mt e-brakes and chock the wheels now.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hook-Em
OUCH! That's a good one right there.

This one isn't Jeep related but it's a good one. I had a 1983 F150 Supercab. It was my first truck and a great one at that. I was doing my periodic maintenance and had the front tires up on ramps. Being young and dumb and...(you know the rest), I decided I didn't need to put on the parking brake or chock the rear tires. I was underneath the vehicle inspecting stuff and needed to slide over. Well I reach up without looking, grabbed and pulled. Much to my surprise I'd pulled the transmission shift linkage and pulled the truck out of park. As it rolled down the ramps, the oil drain pan brushed my nose. God was with me that day.

I always use mt e-brakes and chock the wheels now.
WOW thats scary!!
Old 11-16-2011, 06:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Similar to the OP....just not on my Jeep. On my F-150 I was working under the hood and shut it leaving my 1/2" box-end wrench in the engine compartment. About a month later I was looking everywhere for it! Blamed my son...blamed my wife...LOL! Went out bought a new one. I noticed that every so often I would hear this clunk in my truck...didn't think much of it...it's an old truck. I was working on it again about 2 months after working on it before and there it was a little rusty and dirty. Luckily it got trapped so it didn't fall into the fan. So I had to apologize for blaming the family and now I have an extra 1/2" box-end wrench.

JK related...I haven't done much on it except change the oil. I did however guesstimate where the oil was going to land from the pan but I was a bit short and got about a quart of oil on the garage floor the first time I changed the oil.

Last edited by htweelz; 11-16-2011 at 07:05 AM.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:57 AM
jdk
JK Freak

Put a new water pump on the Jeep, while it was apart thought it was the perfect time to replace the one belt that runs everything. Putting it back together got the old and new belt, put them together made sure its the same size width and enerything match. Finished up adding antifreeze and noitced the NEW belt laying by the Jeep.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by dcharge74
This thread is for anyone that has had one of those ,,, or moments while trying to mod their Jeep. Come on, we've all had them. Now you can go ahead and share your moment in the sun with the rest of the forum. Please try and hold off on the flaming. Everyone screws up at least once in their life. And to prove my point, I'll start.....

Over a month ago, I made a futile attempt to install my TF front lower control arms in my driveway, by myself. After a few hours of struggling to get the first one on, I gave up and re-installed the stock arm. Well, over a month and TWO wheeling trips later(one of which was a three hour drive one way), I decided that today was a good day to extend my breathers. I lay down under the Jeep and this is the first thing that I see...........

hahahha thats funny
Old 11-16-2011, 08:00 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

when I was installing a compressor mount to the master cylinder, the wrench slipped and I knocked off the brake fluid reservoir spilling most of the brake fluid. That was a fun one to clean up
Old 11-16-2011, 08:31 AM
JK Junkie

Thumbs up Grill Mod

Sunday I decided to do my Grill Mod. I carefully took out the 6 plastic rivets along the top of the grill and set them in the nice frame bracket area next to the airbox in the front while I took my grill inside to work on it. Halfway through my Modification process, I get called into work... on a SUNDAY!... Well, I hurry outside, shut my hood, go to work, get off, go inside and finish up the Grill mod.

I go outside and put my grill back on, then realize that I lost my rivets. Took me a whole day of researching to find some that would work and bought them at O'reily's for $1.50 for a pair, bought 3 pairs. This morning before classes I decided to change my oil and check my air filter's cleanliness.

Well, I opened my airbox, removed my filter and looked down. My intake had sucked in the rivets and they were happy in the bottom of the airbox. Now I've got a few spares for next time I break or lose mine.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Installed rear bumper and tire carrier. Everything went smooth. Aligned carrier and everything. Then put the tire on carrier...s.o.b do all adjustments with tire on carrier!!!! Shit is still out of align lol
Old 11-16-2011, 08:49 AM
JK Freak

For some reason, I had my windshield wipers pulled out, I think I was drying off the windshield and decided to open the hood. Well I got about halfway and for some reason the hood wouldn't go any higher, instead of lowering the hood, I pushed on trying to lift well I finally decide to lower the hood to see whats going on and instantly saw the two windshield wipers sticking out at me...now I have two lovely matching scratches on my hood

Quick Reply: STUPID things you've done while working on your JK