Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

STUPID things you've done while working on your JK

Old 08-27-2013, 10:00 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In prep for doing wire mesh grill mod, I searched for the sheers I use to cut wire mesh/chicken wire. After an exhaustive, unfruitful search I buy new ones at HD. Get back, take of the grill and air-dam - what falls out, but the misisng shears. They had been down there for over a year and were sufficiently rusted.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:19 PM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Bedlined my buddies 2dr jk over the weekend. So after hours of prep work i sprayed away....once finished we were admiring the work till we noticed the hood was COVERED in over spray.....oops, the one thing we forgot to cover.....fyi- i got it off yesterday for him
Old 08-27-2013, 03:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

One of my speakers in the sound bar started buzzing at times. Bad speaker. Took advantage of situation and upgraded the speakers. The buzzing didn't go away! Contemplated a new radio. After 3 months, I happen to open the cargo door while the radio was on...and heard the buzzing. Turned out to be from the fire extinguisher I had installed just earlier. It was getting woofed by the subwoofer.

Sheesh.....if it was raining soup, I'd run out with a fork!
Old 08-27-2013, 04:28 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Jersey_Devil
Bedlined my buddies 2dr jk over the weekend. So after hours of prep work i sprayed away....once finished we were admiring the work till we noticed the hood was COVERED in over spray.....oops, the one thing we forgot to cover.....fyi- i got it off yesterday for him
What did you use? I have some overspray also...
Old 08-27-2013, 04:50 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Curious also
Old 08-27-2013, 04:53 PM
JK Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Drank beer.... a lot of.beer

Sent from my NSA listening device
Old 02-24-2015, 06:23 PM
JK Newbie

Thread revival time...

While I was building my rear bumper and tire carrier, I got the the point of doing some finish grinding on the back side and getting ready to paint. While grinding in a corner casual sparks from the grinder hit the shirt and before I knew it the side of my face was warm thinking to myself this is odd, I stopped grinding and realized my shirt was on fire. Like always I grabbed an old shirt and jeans to do the work in, just didn't realize how old the shirt was.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2774556093.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	598570  
Old 02-25-2015, 10:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dcharge74
This thread is for anyone that has had one of those ,,, or moments while trying to mod their Jeep. Come on, we've all had them. Now you can go ahead and share your moment in the sun with the rest of the forum. Please try and hold off on the flaming. Everyone screws up at least once in their life. And to prove my point, I'll start.....

Over a month ago, I made a futile attempt to install my TF front lower control arms in my driveway, by myself. After a few hours of struggling to get the first one on, I gave up and re-installed the stock arm. Well, over a month and TWO wheeling trips later(one of which was a three hour drive one way), I decided that today was a good day to extend my breathers. I lay down under the Jeep and this is the first thing that I see...........

I understand this photo/thread is from several years ago but has recently come back to life. If you still have the pic that started it all, us noobs would LOVE to see it. Btw, great stories so far!
Old 02-25-2015, 02:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

When I was installing my Metalcloak bumper and tire carrier, everything was going smoothly until I got to the part where you press the bearing races into the carrier arm. First off, I didn't have a press or a vise so I used a hammer, a long bolt, and a couple of washers, which was a PITA to get them in. Once I got everything together, I tried test closing it and it hit about an inch below the latch and it had a lot of play in the hinge itself. I tried everything to figure out why this $1600 bumper wasn't working from trying to move one end of the bumper up and the other down to making a shim to get rid of the play. Turns out I installed the bottom bearing upside down and ended up having to call Metalcloak to find out what Timken bearings they were, and drilling them out and I installed them the right way. It's worked perfectly ever since.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Two stories that aren't JK related and an almost.
1) Did the brakes on my 01 grand am with some buddies, had a couple of beers shooting the breeze. Got the brakes on and one of my friends put the left front tire on. Went to the other side, finished up and went on a little road trip. Every left turn I would hear a thud thud thud sound but didn't think anything of it. We got to our destination I just kinda looked at the tires, no problem. On the way back home I felt a crunch, then looked to my left to see my tire passing me and the suburban that was in the fast lane. Moral of the story, always QC your work and your friends.

2) Did a hidden kill switch, acc switch and push button start on my 88 Bronco. Thought that was the coolest thing not needing keys. Until me and a buddy were going to go mudding (me in the bronco, him in is dodge). Driving down a four lane road I was beside him then the road started to turn... thats when my steering wheel locked and as the road started to straighten out I was pushing him off the road. Luckily I had the keys and was able to unlock the steering column and didn't run either of us off the road. I did get an ear full from him.

3) the almost on the JK. Installing wheel spacers at the house I loosened up the lug nuts before I attempted to jack the wheel off the ground. Turns out my jack broke so I removed the jack from under the jeep and drove the jeep to the house to grab my wallet to go to napa and get a new floor jack. Hopped back into the jeep to take off and it dawned on me... Tighten up the lug nuts. That could have been bad news.

Quick Reply: STUPID things you've done while working on your JK