Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

STUPID things you've done while working on your JK

Old 06-26-2011, 03:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default STUPID things you've done while working on your JK

This thread is for anyone that has had one of those ,,, or moments while trying to mod their Jeep. Come on, we've all had them. Now you can go ahead and share your moment in the sun with the rest of the forum. Please try and hold off on the flaming. Everyone screws up at least once in their life. And to prove my point, I'll start.....

Over a month ago, I made a futile attempt to install my TF front lower control arms in my driveway, by myself. After a few hours of struggling to get the first one on, I gave up and re-installed the stock arm. Well, over a month and TWO wheeling trips later(one of which was a three hour drive one way), I decided that today was a good day to extend my breathers. I lay down under the Jeep and this is the first thing that I see...........

Old 06-26-2011, 04:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And I bet you already blamed a family member for losing it.
Old 06-26-2011, 04:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ECHO
Thats awesome, where did you get the wrench shaped control arm support made.. is it Craftsman or Snap-on
I believe it's a "Raptor". I can't believe that it stayed on there the whole trip up there to wheel with you guys and then the Rausch trip the next weekend!
Old 11-16-2011, 04:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

I was installing new coil springs in 95 degree heat. I switched out the drivers side with no problem. I supported the axle with a floor jack and obviously had to lower it some to fit the taller spring. I brought the jack over the pasenger side and lowered the jack until I could pull the spring out. I then started to install the new spring. No matter what I tired it wouldn't fit. I pushed down on the axle and struggled to get it in, but it wasn't budging. I was sweating profusely due to the heat and was now getting light headed so I decided to take a break. I was sitting nearby drinking a cold beverage while comtemplating my next move. Would I have to give up and put the old springs back in?

After staring at the situation a little more, it dawned on me that the jack was still fully supporting the axle. I went over, lowered the jack and slipped the new spring in.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:28 AM
JK Super Freak

I was topping off some oil on sunday, and aparently I left the funnel with the oil cap just sitting in the engine.... didnt even notice until tuesday.

I'm so smart >.<. Guess I'm off to pep boys to get a new oil filter....
Old 11-16-2011, 05:57 AM
JK Newbie

Missed with the hammer when persuading the rear rotors off. Didnt realize I hit the dust shield. Put everything back together, went for the test ride and had a horrible noise. Thought it was the parking brake shoes rubbing too much. Took everything back apart, adjusted them down, back together and still had noise. Back apart, stuck my head in there when spinning the hub, and was like....hey that not supposed to rub. With a little help from my trusty pliers, no more noise.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:04 AM
JK Junkie

I'm not to proud to admit my F-up ! While installing my RR front bumper i had the utility knife out to remove some of the factory zip ties for the fog lights. I proceeded to slice about a 1.5" long and deep gash in my finger with the knife and spent a few hours in the hospital getting stitched up... damn local anesthesia never took and were the most painful stitches I've ever had... damnit !!! The scar on my finger is a sad reminder of that day ... .

As soon as I got home from the hospital a few hours later I jumped right back on the install and finished it up...bandages and all. Bumper looks great !
Old 11-16-2011, 06:08 AM
EzK
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Forgot to put a nut on the axle side of the front track bar. Drove fine for about 20 miles til the bolt wiggled out and things got interesting. Whoops.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Stupid shit that happened to me when someone else was working on my jk... Let's just say someone forgot to torque the bolts holding my brake caliper to the axle. I'm lucky I'm alive
Old 11-16-2011, 06:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

i was having a heck of a time putting my rear spring back in while installing my lift kit, i had a prybar pulling down with everything i had in me and the bar slipt out of my hand and the handle came up under my chin and knocked me out!!! i had a sore jaw for a month...

Quick Reply: STUPID things you've done while working on your JK