Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

STS Turbo Option

Old 11-19-2009, 09:26 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

STS turbo on a JEEP.......... I guess it would be a pretty neat project for a "street" JEEP, Once you take it off road you will run into problems.
1. The STS system mounts the turbo in the rear under the chassis ( Bad idea when off roading or ROCK CRAWLING.
2. Forget about crossing through water/mud....Water would crack a HOT turbo and MUD would cake on to the Turbo causing major heat insulation which would then result in severe damage.

ECT.....
Old 11-19-2009, 10:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
I don't know about all that. I'm sure the Ripp company knows a BUNCH about their particular super charger type. If I had to be pinned down as to who was "The authority" on forced induction.....I'd have to say Gale Banks. Dude's been at it a LONG time. As for turbos on a Jeep in the off road, I ain't sure a turbo is the right thing for that application. They requiure some RPM from the engine to operate. Jeeps need HP down low and right NOW. Not after the engine has a chance to spin up. I think a larger cubic inch engine is the ultimate answer.....HEMI.
I agree 100%..."the Authority"...is a little much
Old 11-19-2009, 11:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Absolutely, with respects to the JK I'm giving them their due props

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...turbo+rippmods
Old 11-20-2009, 04:05 AM
JK Newbie

fuel deliverly would not be a issue. If you added larger injectors and a 255lph fuel pump. A haltech could be used for ems.

just take ripp sc for example. They want you to use water/meth with there set up. That is probably because meth acts like a fuel and cools your air intake temps. And allows more timming for power and LESS FUEL under boost. Afr's will drop from say 12.1 to 11.1 or so. That meaning you can keep ur stock injectors. Keeping your injector duty cycle at 85% max is ideal for tuning. Supercharger require more fuel then any FI application.

with a redline of 5500 rpms turbo equals I was tacking out at 7800 rpms in the 350z with bc2 cams.
Old 11-20-2009, 05:38 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by nlgrav182
Gale Banks is a diesel expert before forced induction expert. He can tune a diesel to make apple pie but I wouldn't think him first for FI on a gasoline engine.

Now for that larger engine option, I would call Gale to set up the first CRD conversion kit.
Doesn't matter. The principle is the same. Forced induction. Whether it's with diesel or gas is splittin hairs. Besides, he was a drag racer and boat racer first and ran gasoline and nitro engines for years before getting into diesel. A little google research would serve you well.
Old 11-20-2009, 05:42 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by BlackNorthernJK
Absolutely, with respects to the JK I'm giving them their due props

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...turbo+rippmods
Oh, no question about it. As far as JK specific, and probably their own design blower specific, it's RIPP all the way. I wasn't tryin to take anything away from them at ALL.
Old 11-20-2009, 06:00 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Under low boost (<5PSI) conditions we used to make a "Cajun ECU" with a simple low Ohm resistor (between the O2 sensor and stock ECU ) and a rising rate fule pressure regulator. By watching the AFR carefully we could easily keep the stock duty cycle injectors and fuel pump. The "modified" signal from the O2 sensor lies to the factory computer and makes it think its running leaner than it really is. The rising rate pressure regulator bumps line pressure at the rail up enough to compensate for the increase in maifold pressure. With good AFR #'s life is fine in a normal compression engine with stock crappy cast pistons and crappy rings.

Its a Jeep, and NOT a flipping WRX. No need for 15psi and 5,500 rpm flogs that would push our head gaskets, melt pistons, and causee valve float.

All i was looking for was a little push in the seat under the right conditions. Sure Nos would be a hoot but a wet system would require more pumbing than the STS would. Yes, water on a hot snail would be very bad. Thermo wrap helps but only too a degree. As far as off roading goes, have you seen how small the turbo is? Have you seen how huge the muffler it replaces is? I would GAIN room, not lose it.

I really appreciate all the great advice listed above. When I can justifly throwing $5K at a perfectly good jeep and kiss good bye the lifetime engine warranty I'll think about it. Until then I guess i'll just enjoy my mini-van acceleration rates.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:38 AM
JK Newbie

a good nos setup would cost 800. I perfer NX because they rate there pills to whp. And all you would have to do is tap in to the fuel system. There is no pluming at all with nos. Nos controlers these days are real smart. It would be real easy to utlize the throttle by wire.

nitrous will not damage your engine if used properly. But once you feel all the TQ it adds you will be wanting more. Keeper stock go for a SC or just regear. The JK should have come with two more cylinders to begin with. But hell its a jeep not a race car like mentioned above.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
Oh, no question about it. As far as JK specific, and probably their own design blower specific, it's RIPP all the way. I wasn't tryin to take anything away from them at ALL.
I know...I wasn't clear enough in my first post is all
Old 11-20-2009, 12:37 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by BlackNorthernJK
I know...I wasn't clear enough in my first post is all
No biggie, dude....I kinda thought that's what you meant...and you ARE correct, I believe. Although.....I will say that I know of no one whose tried the Avenger. I would like some feedback on a roots style blower. They are always impressive.

Quick Reply: STS Turbo Option