Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

STS Turbo Option

Old 11-18-2009, 05:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pretty sure no one has put a turbo on 3.8L but burnsville is now offering it for the hemi jks. not that thats really gonna help your situation...haha
Old 11-18-2009, 05:41 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the input guys, but I guess nobody has experience with an STS turbo system? Since it is a rear mount system a snorkel intake would be a must. I was hoping there was at least one other fool who threw good money at a bad idea and hooked one up to a JK. Guess not...

I love to hear people who have never owned a turbo car talk about all the "hi rpm's needed" for a turbo application to work, and when they do "kick in" it applies all kinds of uncontrolled power??? What kind of turbo's have they been around? Lag is a sign of poor planning. Too many street heros get the biggest turbo they can find thinking bigger is better. Bad idea.

Diameter and guide vein configuration are the key to properly sizing a turbo to match the rpm range, boost pressure, and application.

I do not rock climb and never intend to. So i'm not worried about seeing 5K rpm on a 45 degree angle trying to climb some round object. My JK is a DD with occational off-road trips during hunting season. My part of Texas is flat and dusty. Most of my off-roading is slow speed and fairly low RPM. 2 things nobody ever considers when they poo-poo a turbo on a jeep; a waste gate and a clutch. Lifting the right foot or using the left foot (or both) can control any application of torque I'll ever need. 5 psi of boost will not cause a wheel stand with a mini-van motor in a 4 door mail jeep.

I put a Flying Miata turbo on a spec miata a few years ago and it was a blast. There is no reason the "RIGHT" application couldn't add a little fun to the JK on the hi-way and long tracks of Texas dirt roads.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:17 AM
JK Newbie

All the WTQ a turbo produces will break the jk. The driveshafts for one will not hold up to the power along with the rest of the drivetrain depends on your tire size and D44 or D30. And the STS has slow spool up time because the turbo sits in the rear. And you would have one ugly snorkel in the rear. Turbo's are not like Superchargers where a SC builds boost with the engine and power is controllable unlike a turbo that when the boost kicks in you better have the wheels straight. If you want that extra punch on the highway or through a deep hole. Run a 50 wet shot of nos. Cheap way for big power. Just use a window switch, step 1 cold cooper NGK's and spray at 1100 psi. And with the nos it will only spray at WOT. So it's there if you need it. BTW, NOS too produces more TQ then HP.

On my 350z I started with nos 100 wet shot then went with a procharger 10 psi, then switched out for a single GT37 at 12 psi. Still wasn't enough went to twin gt35r's 16psi and it got the job done. But my pocket book was broke. ended up with little over 600whp on a DD. which is around 650 to 675whp on a DJ dyno. Still wanted more power. So I just said F it and parted out the whole Z and bought a JK. Been loving it ever since. and better gas milage under boost in the Z I was getting 8 miles to gallon.And that was when I was runing a mix of Q16 and 93 it gets expensive.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by frankie945
All the WTQ a turbo produces will break the jk. The driveshafts for one will not hold up to the power along with the rest of the drivetrain depends on your tire size and D44 or D30. And the STS has slow spool up time because the turbo sits in the rear. And you would have one ugly snorkel in the rear. Turbo's are not like Superchargers where a SC builds boost with the engine and power is controllable unlike a turbo that when the boost kicks in you better have the wheels straight. If you want that extra punch on the highway or through a deep hole. Run a 50 wet shot of nos. Cheap way for big power. Just use a window switch, step 1 cold cooper NGK's and spray at 1100 psi. And with the nos it will only spray at WOT. So it's there if you need it. BTW, NOS too produces more TQ then HP.

On my 350z I started with nos 100 wet shot then went with a procharger 10 psi, then switched out for a single GT37 at 12 psi. Still wasn't enough went to twin gt35r's 16psi and it got the job done. But my pocket book was broke. ended up with little over 600whp on a DD. which is around 650 to 675whp on a DJ dyno. Still wanted more power. So I just said F it and parted out the whole Z and bought a JK. Been loving it ever since. and better gas milage under boost in the Z I was getting 8 miles to gallon.And that was when I was runing a mix of Q16 and 93 it gets expensive.

I read this and wondered what i could do to my rig with the money you poured into the Z

but the 350Z is a beautiful thing... wonder if you could've gotten the GTR for the price you racked up with modding
Old 11-19-2009, 09:23 AM
JK Newbie

When I look back It was a waste. The main thing I learned in modding cars for power . Is know your power goal and stick to it. Boost is so addictive.

I have owened 4 cj7's in the past. First JK got to love a jeep with 4doors and power windows. Let the mods begin...

Last edited by frankie945; 11-19-2009 at 09:25 AM.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:53 AM
JK Junkie

If you have your mind set and want a turboed JK for the street, have at it.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:56 AM
JK Newbie

someone should just call STS on behalf of the forum and ask em how many orders it would take for them to actually make a kit, and then have a bulk discount
Old 11-19-2009, 11:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by earfixr
Thanks for the input guys, but I guess nobody has experience with an STS turbo system? Since it is a rear mount system a snorkel intake would be a must. I was hoping there was at least one other fool who threw good money at a bad idea and hooked one up to a JK. Guess not...

I love to hear people who have never owned a turbo car talk about all the "hi rpm's needed" for a turbo application to work, and when they do "kick in" it applies all kinds of uncontrolled power??? What kind of turbo's have they been around? Lag is a sign of poor planning. Too many street heros get the biggest turbo they can find thinking bigger is better. Bad idea.
Diameter and guide vein configuration are the key to properly sizing a turbo to match the rpm range, boost pressure, and application.

I do not rock climb and never intend to. So i'm not worried about seeing 5K rpm on a 45 degree angle trying to climb some round object. My JK is a DD with occational off-road trips during hunting season. My part of Texas is flat and dusty. Most of my off-roading is slow speed and fairly low RPM. 2 things nobody ever considers when they poo-poo a turbo on a jeep; a waste gate and a clutch. Lifting the right foot or using the left foot (or both) can control any application of torque I'll ever need. 5 psi of boost will not cause a wheel stand with a mini-van motor in a 4 door mail jeep.

I put a Flying Miata turbo on a spec miata a few years ago and it was a blast. There is no reason the "RIGHT" application couldn't add a little fun to the JK on the hi-way and long tracks of Texas dirt roads.
I wasn't going to add to this post....till reading this. You WILL have lag issues with a STS Turbo. My experience..... I've tuned about 8 of them on Chevy F-body and truck applications and ran one on my Camaro for over 2 years. To gain low RPM spool, you'll need a tiny turbo, which will then act more as a restrictor than a power adder at high RPM. With a properly sized hair dryer, you'll probably have lag to 3KRPM. That is inherent with the STS design, as the long hot side piping causing exhaust gas cooling (and thus decrease in velocity) vs. a traditional front mount. It can be overcome with thermal coating on the exhaust (expensive), a progressive cintroller (expensive), or heat wrap (which won't hold up well to off-road use). A manual trans with a BOV will amplify this.

BTW, I haven't even touched on topics such as tuning, valvetrain float, injector duty cycle, etc. THAT is where your real headaches will begin.

BTW, you're spool arguement would hold true for a front-mount setup, but NOT a STS style system. Feel free to prove me wrong.....
Old 11-19-2009, 12:33 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by frankie945
When I look back It was a waste. The main thing I learned in modding cars for power . Is know your power goal and stick to it. Boost is so addictive.

I have owened 4 cj7's in the past. First JK got to love a jeep with 4doors and power windows. Let the mods begin...
Yes Boost is very very addictive!
Old 11-19-2009, 08:42 PM
JK Newbie

I talked to STS sales and they refered me to one of there "bigger" tuner shops for questions on tuning the JK. I also had good conversations with a tech from RIPP. The problem is fuel delivery. There is no way to control the fuel map and tuning without a complete custom, stand alone engine management system. Can it be done? I say hell yeah but I dont' have the money or time to spend on a V-6 with a turbo. It's been said alot but there is no replacement for displacement. If I were going to spend the money on a stand alone engine management I would swap in a small block.

Agreed, everyone is saying how a turbo needs RPMs to work. Hello!!! What about all the turbo diesels who run red lines at 3500? While it's true you will recieve max power when the turbo is spooled at it's upper end, you can still get reliable turbo performance in a gasoline application at a lower RPM.

Oh, yeah. Gale Banks isn't just a diesel or turbo guy. Look into it before you start giving information. Gale Banks is an engineer. He got started in performance applications in the 60's and gained notoriety when he built and turbo'd a 454 for the "Hurry Round Hondo" boat in the California racing series the boat was built for. While he is known as the "no black smoke diesel guy" he has experience with a lot more than that.

Mike

Quick Reply: STS Turbo Option