Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Strengthening stock drag link end

Old 06-23-2011, 10:56 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckLisa
Yes sir!
stock Tie rod Moog part ES800593 right
ES800594 left
Drag link ES3624
With the replacement tie rod ends, did you simply make the measurements (on each end) from the tie rod threaded end to the center of the ball joint the same as what was OEM, or concentrate on making sure the overall side-to-side measurement was the same, or both?
Old 06-24-2011, 09:35 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by glwood6

With the replacement tie rod ends, did you simply make the measurements (on each end) from the tie rod threaded end to the center of the ball joint the same as what was OEM, or concentrate on making sure the overall side-to-side measurement was the same, or both?
I ditched the OEM tie rod in favor of a Currie with it's own HD ends. At the time, I was unaware of Moog ends for the OEM tie rod. In retrospect, I should have saved about $280 by keeping the stock tie rod and just replacing the ends with the Moog ends. My only concern with the OEM drag link is the end to the knuckle side. It does not have a provision to replace it with a HD end. There are replaceable drag links that come with their own HD knuckle end a Moog replaceable end on the Putman arm.

To your question, Screamin Lizard Customs did my install on the parts. I can put skid plates, bumpers, rock rails on myself, but scared to death to mess with suspension components!

Last edited by Absolute; 06-25-2011 at 09:27 PM.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

I ditched the OEM tie rod in favor of a Currie with it's own HD ends. At the time, I was unaware of Moog ends for the OEM tie rod. In retrospect, I should have saved about $280 by keeping the stock tie rod and just replacing the ends with the Moog ends.
I'm wondering if I should do that or not.

The issue I'm having is that if my stock tie rod bumps anything off-road, the steering wheel ends up being off-center.

The tie rod itself isn't bent, so I'm wondering if bumping it pulls it out of stock tie rod ends a little?
Old 06-24-2011, 05:44 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by aristobrat
I'm wondering if I should do that or not.

The issue I'm having is that if my stock tie rod bumps anything off-road, the steering wheel ends up being off-center.

The tie rod itself isn't bent, so I'm wondering if bumping it pulls it out of stock tie rod ends a little?
It's the non adjustable ends (I am theorizing) the Moog ends are beefy and designed for HD 3500 trucks and greasable. All of these no maintenance parts are junk.
Old 06-24-2011, 05:51 PM
JK Jedi

The Moog ES3624 Tie rod end was designed for Dodge Ram 3500's. It fits the JK OEM drag link to the pitman arm and Rock Krawler tie rods. They are Greasable and heavy duty(no plastic interior parts like OEM) and sell for around $22. I just put it on, including the Currie Tie Rod. Both are pure grade A Beef.
I'm thinking though with the increased size of the Moog TRE, if you were to turn the steering wheel full driver, then cycle your suspension there may be contact with the swaybar. Just a thought.....
Old 06-24-2011, 05:59 PM
JK Freak

I have a Currie tie rod and there is no contact with the sway bar ends at all. And it's a lot bigger than the Moogs.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1052616586.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	174938  
Old 06-24-2011, 06:01 PM
JK Freak

Here is a Moog end on my flip kitted draglink. No issues either.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1193994112.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	174939  
Old 06-24-2011, 06:31 PM
JK Jedi

Here is a Moog end on my flip kitted draglink. No issues either.
Cool, it was just a thought born from my having issues of my stock draglink end making just enough contact with my swaybar during flex and cycling, that it tore the boot on two different factory draglink TRE at the pitman arm.

Whats the part number on that Moog TRE?
Old 06-24-2011, 08:24 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Currie tie rod and there is no contact with the sway bar ends at all. And it's a lot bigger than the Moogs.
Actually they aren't. There is a huge housing around them which is deceptive. The actual ball is probably the same size.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:10 AM
JK Freak

The Moog part# is in an easier post
hellbound, I am lucky I have had mo issue with my balls; I mean my Currie Rue rod and balls..lol

Quick Reply: Strengthening stock drag link end