Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

The story of how I 'drowned' a Jeep with a Snorkel in 5ins of water!

Old 09-08-2012, 09:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sknahsb
NFR who would I contact or talk to about this because both the factory warranty and extended warranty says it won't cover contaminated fluids or the like. I have never owned a new car or had a warranty. I am interested to see how this works.

As for the Octane Boost I have never used it and only mentioned it in regards to a comment I had received but that is a good point.

After reading and further thinking, I am inclined to agree with other guys here...bad gas. If water got in due to a leak somewhere, you would have a CEL that would throw an EVAP Leak code. If you do not have a CEL, that means the system is sealed and is operating correctly, pressure wise. Now, the bad gas part.

Owning a highly turbocharged high compression sports car, I know all about bad gas. One wrong move with gas and the motor will go boom. I watch the attendants like a hawk to make sure they put 93 in my s2000. Now, on an NA motor like the 3.8 or the 3.6, "bad gas" is SO far fetched to me, that I find it hard to believe. You see, gas still "works" even when diluted with water. Hell, I think I read somewhere that 40% water content in gas will still ignite when misted. Now, crap gas might make your Jeep run like crap, but hydrolocking? Highly unlikely, unless the gas was literally water.

$600 isn't worth going after with the amount of work youll need to do. The dealer will need to prove to you that the gas is bad (unless you filled up since then) to deny your warranty. Then if/when they do prove it to you, you would need to go after the gas station, and I assure you, that won't be easy. Something about all this is puzzling.

Since you got your Jeep fixed, you can check the pressure in your system easily. Drive the Jeep around all day long, to work, back, etc. Then go home. At night, like at 10pm (when the temps drop 20 degrees from daytime) and it's quiet, go outside, and open the fuel cap. You should hear a tiny psssssssss sound (pressure equalizing.) That will tell you the system is properly sealed.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:01 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC

After reading and further thinking, I am inclined to agree with other guys here...bad gas. If water got in due to a leak somewhere, you would have a CEL that would throw an EVAP Leak code. If you do not have a CEL, that means the system is sealed and is operating correctly, pressure wise. Now, the bad gas part.

Owning a highly turbocharged high compression sports car, I know all about bad gas. One wrong move with gas and the motor will go boom. I watch the attendants like a hawk to make sure they put 93 in my s2000. Now, on an NA motor like the 3.8 or the 3.6, "bad gas" is SO far fetched to me, that I find it hard to believe. You see, gas still "works" even when diluted with water. Hell, I think I read somewhere that 40% water content in gas will still ignite when misted. Now, crap gas might make your Jeep run like crap, but hydrolocking? Highly unlikely, unless the gas was literally water.

$600 isn't worth going after with the amount of work youll need to do. The dealer will need to prove to you that the gas is bad (unless you filled up since then) to deny your warranty. Then if/when they do prove it to you, you would need to go after the gas station, and I assure you, that won't be easy. Something about all this is puzzling.

Since you got your Jeep fixed, you can check the pressure in your system easily. Drive the Jeep around all day long, to work, back, etc. Then go home. At night, like at 10pm (when the temps drop 20 degrees from daytime) and it's quiet, go outside, and open the fuel cap. You should hear a tiny psssssssss sound (pressure equalizing.) That will tell you the system is properly sealed.
NFR I agree with you. After a bit of a nap, some time to cool down, and a long talk with some former classmates I have come to the conclusion that this has little to do with my water excursion and much more to do with the exceptionally high temps to low temps we have had here recently and my choice to constantly run the tank to E before filling it up. I am going to change my habits and relocate the evap for peace of mind.

I appreciate everyone's input it is nice to know that when you are in a pinch or just want to BS there is a good place to go.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Did an upset ex (or some kids) pour a bottle of water in it?
Old 09-09-2012, 06:31 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It still seems odd to me. If there was enough water built up in your fuel system to kill your fuel pump then there should have been enough water in your fuel to make your car run poorly before it died. Moreover, I don't see any reason that water would kill a fuel pump. Its just a pump, it doesn't care what kind of liquid it is pumping. I have personally experienced a fuel system that was filled with a 50/50 mix of gas and bong water (long story) and while the vehicle didn't run, the fuel pump was still working just fine. Your choice of running it deep into the empty mark probably has more to do with it than anything. The fuel helps to cool the fuel pump.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:19 AM
JK Freak

You need to pick a new gas station and don't let the tank run to low. Find it hard to believe that water got in when you went through a puddle.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BigSteve
It still seems odd to me. If there was enough water built up in your fuel system to kill your fuel pump then there should have been enough water in your fuel to make your car run poorly before it died. Moreover, I don't see any reason that water would kill a fuel pump. Its just a pump, it doesn't care what kind of liquid it is pumping. I have personally experienced a fuel system that was filled with a 50/50 mix of gas and bong water (long story) and while the vehicle didn't run, the fuel pump was still working just fine. Your choice of running it deep into the empty mark probably has more to do with it than anything. The fuel helps to cool the fuel pump.
Unlikely. Usually a car will stall (run out of gas) before a fuel pump gets hot enough to bite the bullet. Agree about the liquid is a liquid. That doesn't matter. The whole thing is odd. Maybe it was just a jeep unicorn jumping around poking holes in the tank, who knows.

Quick Reply: The story of how I 'drowned' a Jeep with a Snorkel in 5ins of water!