Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Stock stereo is Horrible... HELP!!!

Old 02-29-2012, 06:21 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar issue with my 08. I had to bring it to the dealer and they upgraded something on the radio. I remember it being a common issue at the time. Not sure if its the same thing but i remember the sound being awful all the time and when loud it was unbearable.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If money isn't a big issue, go with the top line Focals. Amazing speakers. Only way they sound better is if you were there at the concert. They run from 2,000-3,000 depending on what models. Then below that, JL audio has a pair of C5's and C2's. That's what I have and I love them.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:12 PM
JK Freak

Unfortunately we drive a vehicle that has issues with a lot of road noise in the cabin, and that's when they are all buttoned up. We as jeep owners buy jeeps for there versatility well most of us (soccer moms). Any chance we have to put the top back or doors off we jump on the opportunity. There's no way the stock system was built around a true jeepers jeep. Come to think of it most stock stereos are never up to par, at least for me. I'm a big fan of music so the first chance I had I did a complete over hall on the system. New head unit, speakers all around and a 10in kicker l7 in the back. My last jeep had crossovers for mids and his in the front doors and I had a 600x4 powering them plus a 400x1 powering a sub. I was always blowing the speakers so I left that out of the jk and only put a 400x1 to power the sub. I built a deck enclosure out of plywood to keep it safe as well as anything else in the trunk. Anything else in my opinion would be overkill. If your a complete sound junky you may want to go with crossovers and separate amp for speakers and one just to power subs but I feel that is too much, especially if you are trying to keep the cost down then do what I did. To me my stereo kicks ass. I can crank it up and over power any road noise doorless topless or whatever.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yea I was having the same issue, I replaced my head unit with a nice Pioneer and ran all kicker components. I luv Kicker for the money, it was worth it to me... It still looks stock accept the head unit, so hopefully no one wants it more than me lol.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:06 PM
JK Newbie

I ordered mine with the 730N and it sounds pretty good, it's got infinity all the way around, my only issue is that the sub catches the mid bass very well, but the lows are just not there. Does anyone know of a sub that could fit in the stock enclosure that would capture those lows? I'm way too picky about my sound to keep that stock, any help would be great.

I also agree the sound systems aren't built around a true Jeepers lifestyle.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Great Input guys. Sooo, Is the problem the speakers arent powerful enough to handle the head unit, or the head unit isnt powerful enough for the speakers ?

I have 100 to drop on new speakers for the sound bar up top, or should I spend 200 on a new head unit. I could only afford 1 or the other what do you guys think would help with sound quality most? and damn, I have my stereo turned up maxxx and its still not loud enough to drive on the highway with the windows down...bass set to 0 or else it cracks. treble at 3 and mid at 0. The only way it sounds good with bass at 3 treble at 5 and mid at 0 is when the stereo is no higher than level 20. And thats like grandpa low music cuz my ears hurt type loud... lol
Old 03-01-2012, 03:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Bump.... lol
Old 03-01-2012, 03:57 PM
JK Newbie

spend $150 on the mopar 77kick10 speakers. Just search it here on the forum. Trust me I did it and my jeep sounds amazing. Plus, the speakers hook up to the factory plugs.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Buc Nasty
does anyone know what size speakers are in stock 2012 unlimited sport without sub?
6 1/2 " all around
Old 03-01-2012, 09:08 PM
JK Newbie

I'm reading this thread and thinking I'd love to swap out my overhead speakers.. I've been disappointed in the stock soundbar from day 1!! I have a Sahara with the Infiniti head unit. Will the quadratc kicker speakers be ok without an additional amp?

Quick Reply: Stock stereo is Horrible... HELP!!!