Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

stock bumper modification

Old 12-19-2011, 08:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stock bumper modification

I'm curious if anyone had tried to do the stubby bumper mod by cutting off the front bumper ends, shortening them, reusing them as caps. ID like to know if anyone has had success with this before I chop my bumper, or shell out the cash for a kit if I can get away with recycling the bumper ends. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks
Old 12-19-2011, 08:43 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll have to look, but there is multiple threads on this subject
Old 12-19-2011, 08:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just haven't noticed any where someone has reused the bumper ends. I tried looking, but if you come across it by all means, repost .
Old 12-20-2011, 03:30 AM
JK Junkie

Piece of cake.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	827831105-m.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	252107  
Old 12-20-2011, 11:58 AM
JK Newbie

Very easy to do. I know there is a thread for this, but basically just cut off the last 3 inches or so to save, then remove the middle pieces. There is some trimming you will have to do at the back of the caps to get them to slide in. As to rejoining the bumper, there are several options to you: rivets, screws, plastic panel rivets, etc. I got black coated aluminum rivets from Fastenal. Turned out great.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

This is great. I'm glad I posted. The info and the pics are going to be a huge help when I do this mod.. ..... after Christmas when I have free time again! I'll make sure to do some kind of picture write up. Hopefully help the next newbie wants to give this a shot
Old 12-21-2011, 04:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default bumper

Originally Posted by JK_R&D
This is great. I'm glad I posted. The info and the pics are going to be a huge help when I do this mod.. ..... after Christmas when I have free time again! I'll make sure to do some kind of picture write up. Hopefully help the next newbie wants to give this a shot

i ended up chopping mine down to 4 or 5 inches off of the frame rail bumps. i took a cracked fender flare and chopped out end caps and used a bunch of 90 deg steel book shelf reinforcement pieces and riveted it to the bumper. i don't have pics but i liked how it came out. shortly after that i talked my friend who owns a machine shop into ordering some 4in x 3/8 angle iron. used two pieces 4 ft long ea and made my own stubby i like how it came out cheap functional and strong i was going to weld the two pieces together but held off in-case i get a winch. i prime painted and then added herculiner to it. its pretty cheap to have made at a local shop and its custom. if any one wants pics just pm me.

Quick Reply: stock bumper modification