Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Steel Bumpers in the Rust Belt

Old 08-10-2012, 04:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steel Bumpers in the Rust Belt

How are your steel bumpers holding up in areas with snow/salted roads?
I saw a jk with a steel front bumper in JP magazine recently and it looked VERY rusty. Makes me think sticking with the stockers may be the way to go. Post pictures (front/rear) and how many years old if you can. Thanks.
Old 08-10-2012, 06:01 PM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is a non-issue if you maintain your Jeep a little bit. Steel should be powdercoated. Spray paint is cheap and makes touch up really easy. Really, don't worry about it...I live in Alberta where they salt and sand the roads all the time. Never had a problem with mine.

That's all just salt and sand on the rear bumper. Had my bumpers for about a year and a half. The powdercoat is still in perfect condition. The side rails I have are powdercoated and are used as steps all the time. I've had those longer than the bumpers, but again...no rust whatsoever.

Oh, I forgot to post the front...

But really...it looks the same as the day I bought it. Sorry, I don't have a larger picture at the moment, but there is no rust anywhere regardless. Previously I had some chrome Moto Metal rims that were absolutely horrible for getting pitting and bubbling up from the salt and junk on the road...chrome is no good for snowy, salty winter conditons....powdercoating is great.

Last edited by Runewolf1973; 08-10-2012 at 09:29 PM.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Those still look good but a year and a half isn't a very long test period. That's only 2 winters max. Who has some 4 and 5 year old bumpers? BTW the rusty bumper in JP seems to be considered a quality brand on this forum.
Old 08-11-2012, 12:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

my jk ones are rather new, but on my old tj i took them off once a year and repainted. easy insurance and its worth it.
Old 08-11-2012, 02:41 PM
JK Newbie

I work with a guy who was 20 year old car with over 400000 miles and no visable rust. He claims he hoses it down with wd40 3-4times a year sprays it inside any body panel he can access plus underside pretty much everywhere. seems to be working so I plan on the same thing for the jk
Old 08-14-2012, 05:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Anyone stick with the aev tire carrier or teraflex tail gate hinge so they can keep the stock plastic bumper that won't rust?

Somebody out there has rusty 4-5 year old powder coated bumpers. Where ya at?

Quick Reply: Steel Bumpers in the Rust Belt