Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Spidertrax spacers / painted stock wheels

Old 05-10-2010, 03:16 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Croce
So i finished my spare...
Sanded it down (320 Grit) primed it using Rustoleum Metal White Primer and added four coats of paint. I've been letting it dry for about 36 hours now but i can easily scrape the paint and primer off with my fingernail..
Do you think the primer is possibly still drying and did this issue happen to you?

(BTW the rustoleum Metallic Black night paint looks amazing and almost professionally done, Good choice on paint!)
Either the primer didn't dry well or it didn't adhere well to the surface... I've used self-etching primer just because it adheres better to the 'bare' metal while enhancing adhesion of the paint.... I applied about 2-3 coats of the primer and 3-4 coats of the paint.

I agree that the chosen paint turns out looking pretty good!! I would've not done it any other way...

Let me know if this helps!
Old 05-10-2010, 03:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yea i painted the inside of the rim where i didnt sand or use any primer and that paint is adhering fine there. I guess it must just be the primer i used
May just skip the primer and use only paint on the other four rims as i have no spare set of wheels to use while it dries for two days.
Old 05-10-2010, 03:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Bumble bee!

Looks great. Keep us updated with what you do next.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:30 PM
Former Member

Hey can you give some details about the powder coat job? How long did it take to get them back? How much per wheel? What did you do with your jk while there were no wheels on it? Is the finish bumpy or smooth? Center cap done too, or just painted black? Thanks....I really want to do this but trying to figure out the logistics of it.

Originally Posted by So_Cal_Tay_12
Powdercoated mine matte black and have 1.5" spidertrax as well, Ive had them for some time now, no problems at all.

Having some fun

Old 05-11-2010, 01:25 PM
JK Newbie

Yeah must have been the primer. I picked that paint just randomly, so I'm pretty happy with how it looks. Just a slight bit of a metallic shine in the sun...
Old 05-11-2010, 02:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mudflap
Yeah must have been the primer. I picked that paint just randomly, so I'm pretty happy with how it looks. Just a slight bit of a metallic shine in the sun...
Thanks man. Im gunna take the spare back off,sand it back down, and start over again. this time i won't be using any Primer. Ill try and post some pics too
Old 05-11-2010, 03:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by dwhitt74
Hey can you give some details about the powder coat job? How long did it take to get them back? How much per wheel? What did you do with your jk while there were no wheels on it? Is the finish bumpy or smooth? Center cap done too, or just painted black? Thanks....I really want to do this but trying to figure out the logistics of it.
It was $50 per wheel, it was overnight to get them back, dropped them off in the morning one day, the next day i picked it up after I got off of work. I just had my jeep up on jackstands in the garage while it was being done, just got rides around for the day. The finish is smooth and yes the center cap is powdercoated too, not spray painted, they were included in the 50 per wheel price.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:40 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I painted my steelies just this week. Now I find this thread......LOL. I used 500 degree engine primer, 500 degree engine gloss black, and 500 degree engine clear on mine. Seems to be pretty hard surfaced. I like the looks for sure. I had custom wheels ordered for it, but canceled the order yesterday when I finished putting them back on. Now I can spend that money on REALLY BIG TIRES........oh ok on some bigger tires then.

Oh the paint came from Autozone, Rust-Oleum, two cans of each did all 5 wheels.

Last edited by bbrider; 05-11-2010 at 03:44 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:28 PM
JK Newbie

Those came out great man, good job! The home paint job can be just as durable as any aftermarket painted wheel. Good prep is key! I could have easily just bought aftermarket wheels, it wasn't a price thing for me. I just like a good project.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:32 PM
JK Newbie

Default Nice job!

That would be a hit here in Steeler country! Best...

Quick Reply: Spidertrax spacers / painted stock wheels