Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Some questions for 6.1L owners

Old 11-10-2010, 07:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some questions for 6.1L owners

I have a Burnsville 6.1L Unlimited AUTO.. Was installed end of 2007..

I have a few questions to see if others have the same issues or if there is a fix..

1. When in 4LO (Rubicon) the brakes will barely stop the Jeep. The idle is around 600RPM but I am guessing the torque through the 4LO is too much because when I take it out of drive and into N the rear end drops like it I was @ 3500RPM's..

2. When in 4LO and tires (37" PC EXtremes) @ 20psi, the power steering is not working right, I can hear the pump, sounds like it is out of fluid but it is not. I cannot turn the wheels barely at all when idling. I have to either put it in N and rev to turn or give it so gas in drive to be able to turn the wheel.. Hard when I am trying to get up rocks or a tight turn...

3. Burnsville said there is a custom tune on the computer, but I want to have some programming done that I am not sure I can or not..Burnsville said If I did anything to the program it would wipe it, but not sure if that means anything.. I want to install a factory remote start(which requires a dealer to program) and I want to have the remote unlock all the doors when I press it once.. Can the dealer change these without screwing up the motor program??

4. The transmission shifts slowly between 1st and 2nd. Is this normal?

5. I had stock 4.10 gears but it is at the shop having 5.13's installed. Do I need to do anything to the programming because of the gear change.?

6.. Not really related, I have a TMD hood and want a Rubicon sticker for it, it has to be smaller font to fit with the cooling openings, anyone know where to get 2 from??

thanks...
Old 11-10-2010, 11:47 AM
JK Newbie

I can only answer the last question, and can only tell you what I would do. I would find a vinyl letter company and have them do your stickers. That way they can do the measurements and get the sticker just right. It shouldn't be that much to have done.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:30 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by duglas

I have a few questions to see if others have the same issues or if there is a fix..

1. When in 4LO (Rubicon) the brakes will barely stop the Jeep. The idle is around 600RPM but I am guessing the torque through the 4LO is too much because when I take it out of drive and into N the rear end drops like it I was @ 3500RPM's..

2. When in 4LO and tires (37" PC EXtremes) @ 20psi, the power steering is not working right, I can hear the pump, sounds like it is out of fluid but it is not. I cannot turn the wheels barely at all when idling. I have to either put it in N and rev to turn or give it so gas in drive to be able to turn the wheel.. Hard when I am trying to get up rocks or a tight turn...

3. Burnsville said there is a custom tune on the computer, but I want to have some programming done that I am not sure I can or not..Burnsville said If I did anything to the program it would wipe it, but not sure if that means anything.. I want to install a factory remote start(which requires a dealer to program) and I want to have the remote unlock all the doors when I press it once.. Can the dealer change these without screwing up the motor program??

5. I had stock 4.10 gears but it is at the shop having 5.13's installed. Do I need to do anything to the programming because of the gear change.?

6.. Not really related, I have a TMD hood and want a Rubicon sticker for it, it has to be smaller font to fit with the cooling openings, anyone know where to get 2 from??

thanks...
TeraFlex Big Brakes for question #1.
#5 yes the ECU will need to know you have 5:13's now.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Don't have a 6.1 yet but I've been doing my homework and hopefully this will help or guide you.

2. You may need to add a steering cooler. Sounds like your fluid is overheating and foaming. BTW, the 6.1 pump calls for Mopar Steering Fluid while the stock JK system uses ATF fluid. Some 6.1 owners have had to flush out the ATF and run the Mopar Steering fluid for the factory 6.1 system.

3. The programming you want to alter is all done to the TIPM so your PCM shouldn't be affected. I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong, but unless you're trying to change the transmission shift schedule or specific engine parameters (timing, rev limit, etc.); your BOR PCM won't be affected by the dealer. For example, the recent "Hot Oil" indicator flash for autos was done to converted JKs by dealers and it never affected the programming of the custom PCMs.

6. Burnsville installs the "RUBICON" emblem that you need on their TMD hoods so you may want to call them. If for some reason they can't sell you a pair, they should be able to give you the correct measurements.

Originally Posted by duglas

thanks...
Old 11-12-2010, 09:22 AM
JK Newbie

Has Burnsville been receptive in hearing your concerns?
Old 11-12-2010, 09:48 AM
Former Member

I would definitely look into upgrading the brakes, with 5.13's it will be even hard to stop.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:31 PM
JK Newbie

1st: nice rig!

2nd: aftermarket brakes is a good idea.
Old 11-21-2010, 03:37 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by IMO107
Has Burnsville been receptive in hearing your concerns?
Bump!!

I hope you will keep us informed of your progressive of correcting your Problems.

Have you talked to Dan at Burnsville?
Old 11-21-2010, 09:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

I agree. Talk with Dan. I'm sure he will help you out.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yes I talked to Burnsville. When I made the post I called them twice and had no answer and there voicemail was full.. I think they might of been at Sema..
They have always been great and helpful when I called them.

Quick Reply: Some questions for 6.1L owners