Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Snowboard rack pics request

Old 12-15-2008, 05:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TripleJeep_99
I know about cargo box costs....however, I lucked out in finding used bars, gutter mounts and to believe it the skybox I have on was used. I got a smoking deal on it!!!

I am lucky for skiing....for me and my family it is no more than 5 minutes drive to the ski resort parking and a short walk to the gondola for 6000 vertical feet of skiing. However, every once and awhile I will drive a few hours and hit Silverstar, Lake Louise, sunshine and even Marmot Basin for a weekend of skiing with the family. This is when you need some protection of your ski/boarding equipment.
To get to real skiing requires me to get on a plane. Which I try to do about once every year. Sucks being brought up a skiier in these parts.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:11 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yesterday I finally got to use my racks. It was VERY VERY windy! I heard 40MPH winds! I was extremely nervous about the racks (and the bouncing hood for that matter) the whole 150 mile trip up! I was also very glad I had racks and not my Mountaineer Thule box up there.

I will say that the roof rails seem very strong.

On another note, at my local ski shop someone had a Jeep parked out front with those screw on rails bolted to the top and then racks and a box up top. I looked up close and handled it (ie, shook the jeep by it) and it certainly looks VERY sturdy. So I'd consider that too if I really needed the box up top and not just ski racks.

The one drawback is that it's very high and hard to get to the skis. My Liberty had the rails to grab on to and balance on. I don't have that on the JK.

Last edited by adamisadam; 01-21-2010 at 09:30 PM.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TripleJeep_99
This is what I am using for my skis and my kids snowboards. Yakima skybox and thule 300 gutter mounts and thule LB58 bars. Works slick.

[
IMG][/IMG]

Close up of the gutter & box mounts.
[IMG][/IMG]
How are the guttermounts? I am thinking about going with Yakima. For some reasons, I am skeptical on guttermount.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:43 PM
JK Freak

Best picture i have.

Its a Thule. I like it because it doesn't cause a lot of drag which alot of the mounts on the roof can do. Then again a cross wind doesn't help me very much. Im in debate between keeping it or getting a roof mounted rack when i get a roof rack.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by sukemecuke
you guys with the gutter mounts get any water leakage? How about when at speed in the rain? Wondering how the bad the flex is on the freedom top at speed with racks.
I have the same setup on a 2dr and have gone anywhere from 0-90 in the harshest rain and snow, no leakage, creakage, or any other bad circumstance you can think of
Old 01-18-2010, 01:00 AM
JK Junkie

I run the thule gutTer mounts. leaving in 30 minutes for skiing in fact! but Thule says to use racks only, not a box. maube they don't think the weight or size should be on the fiberglass gutters. I'm always very careful not to over tighten for fear of cracking the fiberglass. I mount to the roof not freedom panels as recommended by thule. one day I'll get brave & try the cargo box up there.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Junkyard Roof Rack

Pulled the Tracks off an Isuzu Trooper, and the crossbars off an Jeep Cherokee. Total cost 26$ and 14$ for hardware.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	757
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	35644   Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	755
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	35645   Click image for larger version

Name:	022.jpg
Views:	808
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	35647  
Old 01-18-2010, 12:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by So_Cal_Tay_12
I have the same setup on a 2dr and have gone anywhere from 0-90 in the harshest rain and snow, no leakage, creakage, or any other bad circumstance you can think of
Will you post some pictures?

Are yours Yakima or Thule?

I am thinking about going with Yakima raingutter mount.

How do you like your set up?
Old 01-18-2010, 05:51 PM
JK Junkie

just fyi, I think the Yak site doesn't condone their use on the gutters (last time I checked) but Thule does. fwiw.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:30 PM
JK Newbie

I just bought the thule spare tire rack with snowboard accessory. I used it twice and loved it! But now I cant use it as I traded the jeep in! Sucks to be me!

Quick Reply: Snowboard rack pics request