Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Snapped my Trackbar in 2

Old 06-27-2010, 09:47 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Full-Traction Suspension
Awesome!

I had just spoke to Jen (Toad) to see if you needed anything. Have a good trip and I'll see you guys soon.

Chris
Originally Posted by wayoflife
nice!! glad to hear you're back up and running. tried returing your call this moring but just got your answering service. lemme know if you need anything. i got some extra parts and can send them your way if needed.
Thanks guys....hopefully I wont have to take you up on your offers of help.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:55 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Under Dawg
P.S. "Hit a rock pretty hard" - what exactly does that mean? 20 MPH? Faster? Slower? Center punch right on the tie rod and track bar? Or did a tire hit the rock and transmit a jarring force through your steering, etc? Just trying to understand what happened.
See highlights....LOL
Old 06-27-2010, 10:35 AM
JK Freak

Is it the Gen 1 or 2 trackbar? I've seen that on other gen 1's from teraflex.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:00 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mikesjk
Is it the Gen 1 or 2 trackbar? I've seen that on other gen 1's from teraflex.
1st generation
Old 06-27-2010, 01:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a theory as to why it broke.

on my JK i was getting a knock in the steering column that i misdiagnosed as the intermediate steering shaft. It was relaced under warranty, with no change. I lived with it for a few months. Last week i made some tweeks to my alignment, set the toe for the bigger tires is all i did, since it was still at the stock spec. Well my steering wheel has been off center ever so slightly so IO was tweaking that as well. I had my wife in the drivers seat with the engine running to set the draglink and get the wheel perfect. Torqued down the clamps on the drag link. Once done I had her turn the wheel back and forth at a normal speed to check for play on anything. Saw the Teraflex HD track bar(same one you have) moving quite alot in the center where the two halves meet the turnbuckle. I check the torque on them, within spec, and still moving, so I over torqued them a lil bit and it went away for the most part. But I think that play in the threads where the two halves of the trackbar meet the t-buckle is maybe causeing stress and the breaking. I think I've heard off maybe two or three other Teraflex HD track bars breaking. Maybe the stress applied to the bar from the play in the threads fatigues the metal over time? Again just a theory.

Also I should add my trackbar is not adjusted to the point that there isn't enough threads going into the turn buckle. Both sides of the track bar go into the turn buckle by maybe 4-5" or so. With the bolts on the clamps overtorqued there is still a slight amount of movement, but not enough to feel it in the wheel. The clunking noise and feel I was getting in the wheel is gone.

Not bashing Teraflex's product here, just trying to give my input and experience. Hope it helps some.

Last edited by highoctane; 06-27-2010 at 01:22 PM.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:26 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

JeepCacher: I'm sending a new trackbar to your home per the text I got from Jen. It's the newest version with the adjustment collars down at the axle end. I'm sorry about that trackbar snapping on you.

Last edited by TeraFlex; 06-28-2010 at 07:44 AM.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:12 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
JeepCacher: I'm sending a new trackbar to your home per the text I got from Jen. It's the newest version with the adjustment collars down at the axle end. I'm sorry about that trackbar snapping on you.
Joe....thanks for the update...appreciate it
Old 06-28-2010, 01:04 PM
JK Junkie

Older 2nd gen. Teraflex trackbar with the "shark fin" up top for 40k, rock crawling every month, and still going strong.

And another reason I keep the stocker in the back.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:26 PM
JK Freak

Reason 1 not to buy chinese parts
Old 06-28-2010, 03:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Millerman999
Reason 1 not to buy chinese parts
Which chinese parts are you referring to?

Quick Reply: Snapped my Trackbar in 2