Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Snapped my Trackbar in 2

Old 06-26-2010, 10:26 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snapped my Trackbar in 2

So we're in Moab with Toad and Bullfrog. We decide to something easy and scenic today. We kick it around and look at the guidebook and decide on Spring Canyon Bottom and Hey Joe. Now Spring Canyon Bottom was cool...pretty much a scenic dirt road down into a canyon with a awsome shear drop at one point. Hey Joe sucked if you ask me. Narrow and lots of bushes....ie pinstriping....and the occassional rocks on the trail.

At one point I smacked a rock pretty good and shortly after I noticed my steering was right. I checked it and saw this......

We were almost to the end of Hey Joe (which is out and back) Talk about a pucker factor driving this back out on a narrow shelf road with the Green River a couple of feet away at poiints.

Since everyone is gonna ask....It's a Teraflex Heavy Duty
Old 06-26-2010, 10:44 PM
JK Jedi

Awe Man, that sucks for sure. And it's the weekend, tough to get it replaced? So much for HD.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Wow, I am shocked that it broke in half like that. That TB is like the beefiest out there. Now I question all the rest.
Old 06-27-2010, 02:06 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Wow, I bet that was scary! At least it happened on an easier trail--can you imagine if you'd been at the top of Poison Spider Mesa?

Of course, you do realize what this means? The stock axle track bar mounting bracket is stronger than the TF heavy duty track bar! I was just going over my rig last night, but maybe I'll go back and take a closer look at the track bar. I've been having an occasional popping sound from up front, and have not been able to figure out what the heck it is.
Old 06-27-2010, 05:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Chinese metallurgy, ‘nuf said.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Holy smokes! That Teraflex bar is supposed to be the holy grail of track bars!

At least Teraflex will replace it for free...
Old 06-27-2010, 06:16 AM
JK Junkie

that just sucks! I still can't believe it snapped like that.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:19 AM
JK Jedi

That threaded point must be a weak point.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:24 AM
JK Super Freak

I bet it did not just snap, most likely it has a fatigue crack. Can you show a picture of the broken ends close up. If there are beach marks then its a fatigue crack that started at some stress riser.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:25 AM
JK Super Freak

What difference does it make? The point is, it failed and left him tits up on the trail.

Rock Krawler and Currie both make track bars that are, I believe, superior to the TF unit (that joint right in the middle of the TF TB spooks me a little - now I know why). Having said that, I'm sure there are plenty of TeraFlex owners who are satisfied with the strength and integrity of their TB.

Northridge sells a complete track bar/drag link kit from Currie with serviceable ends, that's the route I'd probably go had I not already fitted JKS to my rig... OR Krawler as I alluded to above.

Good luck, hope you're back on the trail soon.

Under Dawg

P.S. "Hit a rock pretty hard" - what exactly does that mean? 20 MPH? Faster? Slower? Center punch right on the tie rod and track bar? Or did a tire hit the rock and transmit a jarring force through your steering, etc? Just trying to understand what happened.

Quick Reply: Snapped my Trackbar in 2