Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Smashed the Sahara :-(

Old 04-23-2011, 08:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to here that. Glad your ok. Most insurance agencies ive delt with have tried to save every dollar and spend the max amount before "total loss". Insurance rates are so competitive (for our advantage). If they can save on even the littlest percent of $$ before a total, then they will. I hope your rates dont go up and Good luck next time.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeepmojo
if so id be interested if the price was right ?
Once I get her back we can talk....I'll have to get the rocker guards first of course.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:42 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have a hartop, check and see if it still fits. It wont show with the soft top, but I bet your freedom panels wont sit right. That is if you have one.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by josh_jacklyn
Stupid 18year old girls in stupid highlanders probably on stupid Facebook. I bet her new status us.... "walking" lmao!
Really? Not cool. Just cause it was an 18 yr old girl, doesnt mean anything. She is someone's daughter and the Op said it was his fault.

Originally Posted by TurkeyFreer
So the teardown has begun. Under the Nationwide "Blue Ribbon" Auto Repair I get updates with pictures everyday throughout the process. So far I have been extremely impressed with both the Nationwide claims folks and the "Blue Ribbon" shop they recommended. Here are the first pictures as they begin the dis-assembly. In the shot of the undercarriage you can see where the pitman arm was completely sheared off as a result of the tire being forced against the curb.

Attachment 151337Attachment 151336Attachment 151335Attachment 151334
Looks like some serious damage, cant believe the pitman was torn off like that.

Word from the shop is the are repairing the Sahara. Lots of unseen damage to steering, suspension and front end components (Control Arm, pitman arm, brackets on the axle housing etc.) but nothing they can't fix. The body damage is $$$$. I'm at least getting new tires out of the deal. I'll keep the thread updated as I get pictures from the shop.
I would be real leary about any other unseen damage. Hope they are able to get it fixed for you and it drives right. hate to see you go through all this and deal with gremlins down the road. My daughter got hit by someone, thus my displeasure with first post above, and her car never drove the same again after being fixed.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 08RedRecon
Really? Not cool. Just cause it was an 18 yr old girl, doesnt mean anything. She is someone's daughter and the Op said it was his fault.

Looks like some serious damage, cant believe the pitman was torn off like that.

I would be real leary about any other unseen damage. Hope they are able to get it fixed for you and it drives right. hate to see you go through all this and deal with gremlins down the road. My daughter got hit by someone, thus my displeasure with first post above, and her car never drove the same again after being fixed.
I was wary of the repairs for the same reasons (i.e never drives the same again, frequent problems, etc) until I went to the shop. They specialize in German cars (Audi, BMW and Mercedes) and the attention to detail was impressive (at least so far....).

Before they even provided the estimate or decided that they could repair it they did a complete teardown. They removed the seats, carpets, doors, hinges, rocker panels, etc. all the way down the frame. Then they pulled everything out from up front (suspension, control arms, bars, etc) and created a list of everything that would be replaced - which was almost everything! The shop manager walked me through and said that if it was connected to something that might be bent or out of line they were replacing it.

The additional peace of mind comes from the fact that both my insurance company and the body shop are providing a lifetime (as long as I own the Jeep) guarantee on all the work. If anything doesn't quite feel right they will fix it free of charge for as long as I drive her. Knowing that leads me to think they will do everything they can to get it right the first time when they are being paid rather than have to work on it for free down the road. I'll keep everyone posted.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

I was wary of the repairs for the same reasons (i.e never drives the same again, frequent problems, etc) until I went to the shop. They specialize in German cars (Audi, BMW and Mercedes) and the attention to detail was impressive (at least so far....).

Before they even provided the estimate or decided that they could repair it they did a complete teardown. They removed the seats, carpets, doors, hinges, rocker panels, etc. all the way down the frame. Then they pulled everything out from up front (suspension, control arms, bars, etc) and created a list of everything that would be replaced - which was almost everything! The shop manager walked me through and said that if it was connected to something that might be bent or out of line they were replacing it.

The additional peace of mind comes from the fact that both my insurance company and the body shop are providing a lifetime (as long as I own the Jeep) guarantee on all the work. If anything doesn't quite feel right they will fix it free of charge for as long as I drive her. Knowing that leads me to think they will do everything they can to get it right the first time when they are being paid rather than have to work on it for free down the road. I'll keep everyone posted.
Absolutely amazing coverage and attention you are getting. I am envious. Congratulations and best of luck on getting your baby back perfect.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Update 4.29.30

Just got the most recent set of pictures. They shop is still waiting on some more of the "mechanical parts" before they start the body work. We're in step 4 of 10 for the repair process.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep Round 2 Front.jpg
Views:	510
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	155118Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep Round 2 Lower.jpg
Views:	511
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	155119Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep Round 2 Pitman.jpg
Views:	529
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	155120
Old 05-06-2011, 04:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Another Update - 5/6/2011

Some more pictures from the repair shop:

Name:	Jeep Round 3 Rocker.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	3.5 KB
ID:	157816Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep Round 3 Front Floorboard.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	157817Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep Round 3 Rocker II.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	3.5 KB
ID:	157818
Old 05-20-2011, 04:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default UPDATE - Body Work

So...the pictures look bad. The shop decided they needed to go ahead and replace the entire front floor pan They still think they can have it back to me by the 31st, in a "perfect world" they thought maybe even the 27th....

Name:	Jeep Floor.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	162372 Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep B Pillar.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	162371 Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep Quarter.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	38.7 KB