Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Side views of the Rugged Ridge XHD end caps installed with 35" tires. Any pics?

Old 11-19-2010, 09:30 PM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Side views of the Rugged Ridge XHD end caps installed with 35" tires. Any pics?

I am interested in puchasing the Rugged Ridge XHD modular bumper, but have yet to find any real good side view pics with the end caps installed. I am thinking clearance-wise. With 35" tires is there at least as much or more clearance than the stock plastic bumper? Heard there may be some rubbing issues. Is that only on extreme articulation (big rock hopping-which I'm not planning on doing anyways) or does it rub even with moderate to mild off-roading? I've seen lots of pics from the front, but it's hard to tell the clearance that way. Thanks. I bought my Jeep from the Chrysler dealership already with a suspension lift installed. Not really sure how much of a lift...judging from pics of other similar Jeeps, maybe 3-4" or so if that helps. I know I can just take the end caps off, but still wondering how they would fare with them left on.

Last edited by Runewolf1973; 01-10-2011 at 07:44 AM.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:47 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

295/75/16 Nitto Terra's (32" 'actual' height)

Posing on a rock...

You can see the dirt spattering up there from rubbing, and how the next lug isn't even visible. Also, that is going straight, if the wheel was turned, the rubbing would be even worse. (that edge that is hanging down would be slicing into the middle of the tread)

I had planned on trimming the back of the caps, but decided to just pull them off. I'll trim if I ever go someplace with front bumper laws.

Last edited by nthinuf; 11-19-2010 at 09:50 PM.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:54 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by nthinuf

Posing on a rock...

You can see the dirt spattering up there from rubbing, and how the next lug isn't even visible. Also, that is going straight, if the wheel was turned, the rubbing would be even worse.
Ouch!! Why doesn't Rugged Ridge do something to fix that clearance problem? Do they maybe sell spacers that help push the bumper out further in front ahead of the tires or what? I have yet to see anything though. It is a shame though....such a nice looking bumper...such a big problem if you want to use the end caps. That one thing deters me as a potential customer. And on their website, they show all their bumpers outfitted on lifted jeeps with big tires too yet...taunting me.

Last edited by Runewolf1973; 11-19-2010 at 09:57 PM.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:03 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Trimming these would be pretty easy. But think about their other caps with the storage compartments inside, those would be a total waste of money with anything larger than stock tires.

I still like the modular versatility of the thing, and don't regret the purchase...

Another note on it is that you'll find the same issue on a lot/most of the full width bumpers when going to bigger tires. That's one of the reasons stubbies and mids are so popular. If you push it out further, as you indicated, then people would complain about it sticking out so far and limiting the hill angles they can climb. (there is a word for that, but I'm having a bit of a brain fart) Kind of hard to have it both ways.

Last edited by nthinuf; 11-19-2010 at 10:07 PM.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:21 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trimming these would be pretty easy. But think about their other caps with the storage compartments inside, those would be a total waste of money with anything larger than stock tires.

I still like the modular versatility of the thing, and don't regret the purchase...

Another note on it is that you'll find the same issue on a lot/most of the full width bumpers when going to bigger tires. That's one of the reasons stubbies and mids are so popular. If you push it out further, as you indicated, then people would complain about it sticking out so far and limiting the hill angles they can climb. (there is a word for that, but I'm having a bit of a brain fart) Kind of hard to have it both ways.
approach angle ...lol it happens sometimes
Old 11-19-2010, 10:53 PM
JK Freak

Yah, I might just try trimming them a bit if I do get them...which I probably will anyways. I really like the styling and so forth, they just need a bit of "tweaking" I guess. So far I haven't found any bumpers with all the the same features that I like as the XHD has. How is this bumper for strength...is it actually 3/16" steel or what?

There is the High Clearance bumper from Body Armor that I was looking at also, nice looking bumper, but I'm not sure about the quality. Under $400 seems pretty cheap for a good bumper... http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-bu...er=BA-JK-19531

Last edited by Runewolf1973; 11-19-2010 at 11:02 PM.
Old 11-20-2010, 12:29 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you wanting to run end caps on it? I have the stubby with the hoop and I love it. I think the end caps make it look too much like the stock bumper. I got mine off of amazon for $250.00 with free shipping, and I would highly recommend it.
Old 11-20-2010, 01:42 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by tank33
Are you wanting to run end caps on it? I have the stubby with the hoop and I love it. I think the end caps make it look too much like the stock bumper. I got mine off of amazon for $250.00 with free shipping, and I would highly recommend it.
I'm not 100% sure I won't get in trouble for having a bumper that's too short or not. The way they write the laws can be so subjective depending on who/which (police officer) decides reads it...maybe I'm just too paranoid about it. It might be a type of thing that is not even really enforced. I see so many guys driving around with tinted front windows or completely obscured licence plates, or missing headlights, etc...they would for sure have better things to pick on. I just spent the last 2 hrs looking at the bumper pics threads and could not find anything more well-rounded and versatile as the Rugged Ridge bumper...but that's just my opinion. I'm not just trying to be cheap either. I just like the overall look and features better than even the more expensive brands out there. I think if I have to, I'll just modify the end caps or even have someone weld me up some a little differently to get some more clearance. I have the Rugged Ridge Side Armor...which I also really happen to like, so at least the bumper's finish would match my side armor as well. I most likely would get the matching rear bumper as well...provided I do end up going with the XHD. Simply read way too many good reviews on the XHD bumper system to ignore it.

Last edited by Runewolf1973; 11-20-2010 at 01:54 AM.
Old 11-20-2010, 02:04 AM
JK Freak

Posing on a rock...

You can see the dirt spattering up there from rubbing, and how the next lug isn't even visible. Also, that is going straight, if the wheel was turned, the rubbing would be even worse. (that edge that is hanging down would be slicing into the middle of the tread)

I had planned on trimming the back of the caps, but decided to just pull them off. I'll trim if I ever go someplace with front bumper laws.
So other than that, do you like the bumper?

Last edited by Runewolf1973; 11-20-2010 at 02:06 AM.
Old 11-20-2010, 04:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I trimmed mine down so my 33's will fit while stuffed. With 35s and the backspacing of my wheels (3.6 i think on 10in rims) that the end caps will be so thin that they will offer you nothing more than looks. I dont have any good pics right now of the caps but they are only a couple inches thick from the front to the back on the outside right now. When i get bigger tires i will modify the caps to be mid-width to solve my problem. I think that a mid-width cap would be a good idea for ruggid ridge myself. I do love my bumper for sure. VERY tough. Had to respray it probably 5+ times already from me hitting rocks and such and no dents. The fog light bars do there job well too.

Quick Reply: Side views of the Rugged Ridge XHD end caps installed with 35" tires. Any pics?