Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Side-mount Jerry Can Carriers for the JK

Old 05-17-2015 | 03:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by DJ1
I know on Ebay every now and then a used Scepter gas container will show up but the prices they're asking for them now is outrageous. I remember picking up brand new ones for like $40.

Maybe you can try one of their Water containers instead? Those usually run much cheaper.

I've got both. There's not much difference outside of the cap. But I'll double check to see if the handle gaps start around the same height....
Thanks, I'll keep me eye out for an inexpensive Sceptre water container.

Doesn't really matter though if the handle gaps are at the same height, with this strap design you can just add or remove links in the chain to make the strap the right length. In the photo I posted showing the two ways to use the strap with the jerry can, putting the strap over the cap took one more link than putting the strap under the handle. Based on the adjustability and the flexibility provided by the links, I'm confident this strap will work well with Sceptre containers. But I'll try to pick one up for testing just to be sure.
Old 05-29-2015 | 09:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Today I finished up the universal adjustable/locking gas can straps I started making a week or so ago.

I'm really happy with how the straps work; the removable chain links provide a lot of adjustment, and the latch provides fine adjustment to snug the cans down tight to prevent any movement or rattling. They adjust fine for jerry and NATO cans as shown in the photo; for the jerry can I looped the strap around the cap to prevent that from being opened. Also in the photo above, I've used a short piece of Velcro One-Wrap around the lock, which prevents it from rattling as well. The jerry can took one more link in the chain than did the NATO can.

Here's a closer look at them; there's a waterproof PVC-coated polyester canvas sleeve that goes over the chain part which prevents the chain from scratching the can and provides a degree of weather protection for the chain. To make it easy to add or remove links, I put a zipper in the sleeve so it's easy to zip on or off for access to the links. The hooks at each end of the strap swivel so the strap and be used at an angle like with the jerry can above or vertically like with the NATO can.

I'll use these whenever I feel I need extra security for the cans, other times I'll use the ratchet straps that come with the can carriers, they work great too.
Old 05-30-2015 | 05:13 AM
JK Super Freak

I see the Jerry can carriers that mount to the spare tire made it to production ; any ETA on the JK Side Mount Carrier, and the StoreGate ? Keep the prototypes coming, Genius !
Old 05-30-2015 | 05:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Four Low
I see the Jerry can carriers that mount to the spare tire made it to production ; any ETA on the JK Side Mount Carrier, and the StoreGate ? Keep the prototypes coming, Genius !
I am told by the company that's signed up to manufacture them that the JK Side Mount is on a fast track for mid-summer availability. No target date for the StoreGate yet.

If these get picked up for sale by an official forum vendor, I'll let people know. If they end up being sold by outlets that aren't forum vendors, according to forum rules I won't be able to post that.
Old 05-30-2015 | 05:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Thank you, waiting with happy anticipation for the JK side mounts !
Old 05-30-2015 | 06:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Four Low
... Keep the prototypes coming ...
Speaking of that, here's an idea I've been toying with... brackets to mount a jerry can on the HD tailgate hinges. I haven't made them in metal yet, but here are some cardstock mockups of the brackets.

The brackets would hold the same can tray I used on the side mount earlier in this thread and they're reversible, so they'd either mount in a low position or a high position as shown in these concept drawings:

In the low position, in most cases the can would prevent the tailgate from opening all the way because it would hit the tail light, so it would have to stop at 90 degrees instead of opening to the factory 110 degrees. It wouldn't be too hard to make some add-on stops for the HD hinges that would limit their opening range to 90 degrees so the low mounting position could be used. Or the same brackets could be flipped over to mount the can in the high position, which would allow full tailgate travel.

I'm still experimenting with these ideas, I don't know if they'll end up being practical or if I'll end up making up a set in metal to test on the Jeep.
Old 07-24-2015 | 03:55 PM
JK Newbie

I was just wondering if the side mounts are out yet and if you can tell me were i should be looking. I have been searching all over the internet if you can please pm me this will be perfect for the build i am doing.
Thank you
Old 07-25-2015 | 08:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by pipes1004
I was just wondering if the side mounts are out yet and if you can tell me were i should be looking. I have been searching all over the internet if you can please pm me this will be perfect for the build i am doing.
Thank you
I received production side mounts from the company yesterday, I got them installed this morning. They've done a great job turning my prototype/design into a production product. Release is imminent.

Old 08-07-2015 | 02:16 PM
JK Newbie

Just got mine mounted up really cool design
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0050.JPG
Views:	373
Size:	1.53 MB
ID:	620749   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0048.JPG
Views:	371
Size:	1.78 MB
ID:	620750  
Old 08-07-2015 | 02:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

What's the price and where can we buy it?

Quick Reply: Side-mount Jerry Can Carriers for the JK