Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Side-mount Jerry Can Carriers for the JK

Old 05-06-2015 | 03:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by DJ1
Hey jscherb,

Try browsing the following link for hold-downs on the NATO and Scepter cans. They are usually held in place going over the top along the handles and over the cap.

For the Scepter cans, a lot of us already use the cap wrench to really lock the twist cap on. Once the gas expands, it's pretty much impossible to take the cap off by hand unless you have the cap wrench for it so I personally wouldn't be too concerned about not having a hold-down that doesn't lock/secure the cap in place....

https://www.google.com/search?q=scep...ay%3B800%3B600
Originally Posted by DJ1
There are some like these (Blitz cans) that actually "grab" on the handle and also along the ridge/seam of the bottom of the can so less metal being used....

http://www.amazon.com/BLITZ-GAS-CAN-...rry+can+holder
Thanks for all the input. The real question for me is whether or not it would be worth it to manufacture a new locking strap. The answer to that I guess would be partly based on whether or not there are already solutions on the market that work in this application. I like the locking jerry can straps I've got, but they don't work with NATO or Sceptre cans, and I haven't yet found compatible solutions for those cans. So I may just design one myself that's "universal" - it would work with jerry, NATO and Sceptre, and it would work with the can tray I've used on the prototype, and with traditional Blitz trays. It would also be adjustable so you could snug down on a can enough so the can wouldn't move or rattle. I'm surprised there isn't anything like that on the market, seems like a simple enough set of requirements that should have been met by now. Oh well, I'll keep looking and probably design one of my own soon.
Old 05-07-2015 | 06:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Post deleted, sorry.

Last edited by jscherb; 05-07-2015 at 12:14 PM.
Old 05-07-2015 | 10:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by DJ1
Hey jscherb,

Try browsing the following link for hold-downs on the NATO and Scepter cans...
Hey DJ1,

Your input got me thinking, and this morning I worked up a design for a "universal" adjustable, locking metal strap. It'll work with jerry, NATO and Sceptre cans, and it's adjustable and flexible enough that it could also be used to secure something like an ammo can in the tray as well. It'll also work with traditional Blitz/military style jerry can trays, and probably a few other aftermarket types, I'll have to check around for some others and do some testing. I've ordered a some parts I'll need to make up a few, so as soon as they arrive I'll make up a couple of sets for testing and post photos.
Old 05-08-2015 | 03:50 PM
JK Super Freak

This week I put over 400 miles on the side mount with a full jerry can, and so far it's exceeded my expectations. I did come up with one very small improvement to make, which I'll implement and test tomorrow.

This evening I tried a large ammo can on the mount. I just strapped it into the jerry can tray. Technically it isn't an ammo can, it's a can for a "Monocular Night Vision Device", but its construction is exactly like an ammo can except that instead of the top being removable, it's hinged on one end. It's a little bit smaller than a jerry can, but a really useful size to carry in this mount, perhaps for tools or trail recovery gear.

Old 05-11-2015 | 02:23 AM
JK Super Freak

The spare-mount jerry can carrier has made it into the Extreme Terrain catalog...

Barricade Wrangler Jerry Can Tall Spare Tire Mount JP54-005 (87-15 Wrangler YJ, TJ & JK) - Free Shipping

Barricade Wrangler Jerry Can Short Spare Tire Mount JP54-004 (87-15 Wrangler YJ, TJ & JK) - Free Shipping

The heavy-duty tailgate hinges are in there too.

Barricade Wrangler Heavy Duty Tailgate Hinges JP54-003 (07-15 Wrangler JK) - Free Shipping
Old 05-13-2015 | 04:54 AM
JK Super Freak

It's unrelated to carrying extra fuel, but here's something else I just installed in the JK. It's a prototype of another design of mine, I call it the StoreGate.

When open, the door serves as a trail table.

Old 05-13-2015 | 06:31 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jscherb
It's unrelated to carrying extra fuel, but here's something else I just installed in the JK. It's a prototype of another design of mine, I call it the StoreGate.

When open, the door serves as a trail table.
That rocks! I've seen these that function JUST as a little table. For the price they want, I don't think it's worth it. THAT would be worth it.
Old 05-13-2015 | 06:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Cutman
That rocks! I've seen these that function JUST as a little table. For the price they want, I don't think it's worth it. THAT would be worth it.
Thanks. I've had one in my LJ for a long time now, I wouldn't want to be without it. In the LJ I don't need a trail table or a locking compartment, so I've got that one configured with a cargo net instead of a door:

Old 05-14-2015 | 12:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Here's the idea I've been working on an idea for a locking strap to secure jerry, NATO and Sceptre cans - I made up a prototype today.

My goal was to come up with one strap that would work with all types of cans that would be locking and secure, and adjustable so the can could be snugged down tight enough to eliminate can movement or rattles. I also wanted the strap to be flexible to deal with the different can shapes, particularly the rounder shape of the Sceptre cans.

Today I made up a prototype, here are a few photos showing it with jerry and NATO cans. Unfortunately I don't have a Sceptre can here to try it with.

The tray hooks at the bottom ends of the strap swivel, so the strap can be used either to secure only the can (left photo), or it can be angled to also secure the cap (middle). NATO cans have caps on the ends of a spout so they can't easily be secured that way.

Adjustments are done by means of the adjustable latch (3/4" range), and the removeable-link chain (1.5" each link). The math works out to basically infinite adjustment - if the adjustment on the latch isn't enough, remove or add one or more links and start with the other end of the range of the latch adjustment.

The strap is all metal, so it's pretty secure. Here's a photo of the strap on the workbench; a few extra links are in the photo as well. BTW it takes one more link to go over the jerry can cap than it does to go through the handle.

One more refinement is to encase the link portion in a flexible plastic sleeve so the links don't scratch metal cans:

The retail cost of buying the materials to make this prototype was less than $10. This is a proof-of-concept prototype, so there are a few refinements I'd add, but it definitely meets the requirements I defined for it. I have no idea if this would make sense as a commercial product, I just designed and built this one because it was an interesting design challenge and I wanted straps like this for my own use.
Old 05-17-2015 | 02:55 AM
DJ1
Former Member

I know on Ebay every now and then a used Scepter gas container will show up but the prices they're asking for them now is outrageous. I remember picking up brand new ones for like $40.

Maybe you can try one of their Water containers instead? Those usually run much cheaper.

I've got both. There's not much difference outside of the cap. But I'll double check to see if the handle gaps start around the same height....

Quick Reply: Side-mount Jerry Can Carriers for the JK