Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Side-mount Jerry Can Carriers for the JK

Old 03-13-2016 | 03:56 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Originally Posted by jayjk
Update from Robert at 4x4tabs... mocked up pics . cans were headed to paint as of a few days ago. Should have them soon!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-03-13 at 4.57.21 PM.png
Views:	176
Size:	306.6 KB
ID:	640563
Cans look nice. Good for an overlanding setup. Those wouldn't last a day on harder trails though. The nice paint job definitely wouldn't.

Last edited by DJ1; 03-13-2016 at 03:58 PM.
Old 03-13-2016 | 04:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jeepmojo
just to let others know . Just found out today

The bottom clip of the strap will also damage your paint on the jerry can , so it will either hit the bolts on that hold the plate on or the clip on strap either way is subject to abrasive hardware *Also though the bolts look to be stainless steel, but they are not and have rusted after only a few weeks of being on my jeep ! Obviously lead to rust problems and corrosion ! I put gorilla tape on the can to see if this helps stop the issue from getting worse to my Can investment , and i think its clear that under the ratchet itself needs something to prevent rubbing on that area as well and ratchet is rusted quite a bit in only a few weeks not exactly 5 ***** star trail rated package .
I suggest you email Ryan at MORryde and show him the rust issue on the ratchet. These ratchets are used on several other Jeep products that were released months before the JK Side Mounts so there are lots of them out there, and I haven't heard of any issues so far.
Old 03-13-2016 | 06:00 PM
JK Junkie

Default To be honest

Originally Posted by jscherb
I suggest you email Ryan at MORryde and show him the rust issue on the ratchet. These ratchets are used on several other Jeep products that were released months before the JK Side Mounts so there are lots of them out there, and I haven't heard of any issues so far.
Its not that big a deal , i can clean it up and use some Anti-Oxidant Compound on straps ratchet , its the spring that rusted

and ill have to buy some sort of rubber bumper & replacement stainless steel flat head nut bolts washers and lock washers as we said back in other posts. As for the clip end on strap hitting the can . tape will help it some for now until those flat head bolts go in
then i could push the bottom of can in some im sure .

Not sure who makes a quality replacement ratchet strap if any ? With those end on it. Maybe ill use short piece of bicycle tire inner tube , wire tied above to pull over it in fowl weather or mud situation if i see a bike tire at the dump. just cut a piece off.

Dj1 : i get ya on the scepter cans , but its hind site now seeing i bought 2 cans at 80 bucks a wack ! I like the look of what i have here. but your right as far as far as painted ones as to the plastic. I will correct things & get it right after the bolts get replaced. I still love the over all appearance of it and design

Last edited by jeepmojo; 03-13-2016 at 06:25 PM.
Old 03-13-2016 | 06:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

If it is on an edge, What about using the rubber trim that some people put on their car door edges? You can buy it at Wal-Mart cheap and it works on pretty much any edge piece.
Also for the record Ryan sent me more clips and I have not had any additional issues, so very pleased overall.
Old 03-13-2016 | 07:37 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Originally Posted by jeepmojo

Dj1 : i get ya on the scepter cans , but its hind site now seeing i bought 2 cans at 80 bucks a wack ! I like the look of what i have here. but your right as far as far as painted ones as to the plastic. I will correct things & get it right after the bolts get replaced. I still love the over all appearance of it and design

It's all good. Hopefully nobody comes along and keys your can lol. I actually want to take back my comments/sentiments on the scepter cans. They are in fact horrible. Avoid at all costs....

Last thing I need is for everyone to start buying them then all the replacement gaskets, etc. start sky rocketing in price.
Old 03-13-2016 | 07:48 PM
JK Junkie

Default it wasnt the edge

Originally Posted by JDaPP
If it is on an edge, What about using the rubber trim that some people put on their car door edges? You can buy it at Wal-Mart cheap and it works on pretty much any edge piece.
Also for the record Ryan sent me more clips and I have not had any additional issues, so very pleased overall.
just the lower ratchet strap clip, i put tape on the can so it wont rub there minor
but the less scraping the less rust later , im not concerned but figured id mention it so others might want to prevent it from happening on thers or check for that over time . When they put it in the holder to check it . Shit happens but if you can prevent it why not right ? Its like when you get a new jeep you try for a while not to get it scratched till you get one and then its not the end of the world but you still try not to get more ~ im sure some dont really care seeing they drive into 4 feet of mud im not into that nor can i afford to use as a submerged mud toy its dd and trail i dont baby it but no abuse either

The scepters seem rather expensive too !
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3352 (2).jpg
Views:	87
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	640622  

Last edited by jeepmojo; 03-13-2016 at 08:17 PM.
Old 03-14-2016 | 05:53 AM
JK Super Freak

I picked up a PA-70 (60mm) ammo can yesterday. Since it's pretty close to the size of a jerry can it fits nicely in the side mount jerry can holders on my JK and LJ.

Old 03-15-2016 | 10:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jscherb
Thanks for being the only one to find the perfect harmonoc . Seriously, there have been many sold and installed and yours is the first report I've heard of any can movement. In the hundreds of miles I've driven with mine I've had no can movement at all, so it must be that you've found the perfect washboards to cause movement. Anyway, I did talk to the engineer who's responsible for this product at the company and he agrees it would be a good idea and pretty simple to add holes for a bottom bumper in the next production run.

This is why I develop all of my designs in public on the forums and why I stay in touch with people as the designs see lots of real use - there's often a small tweak that can be added to make things even better, so thanks again.

BTW this same engineer is doing a cost estimate on the locking strap design I posted a few weeks ago, we were so wrapped up in discussing your situation I forgot to ask him about that! I'll probably be seeing him in a few days on my way through Indiana on the way to Moab, so I'll have to remember to ask him then. Somebody remind me on Wednesday .
And this is why it's great being able to give feedback directly to the designer! I'll probably drill holes myself and pop a couple more bumpers on. And I'll definitely have my eyes open for the locking strap... I'd leave the can on 100% of the time if I had one of those.
Old 03-15-2016 | 11:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Erok
And this is why it's great being able to give feedback directly to the designer! I'll probably drill holes myself and pop a couple more bumpers on. And I'll definitely have my eyes open for the locking strap... I'd leave the can on 100% of the time if I had one of those.
Any time you've got any suggestions for improvements to things I've done or ideas for new things you'd like to see for your Jeep, just let me know.
Old 03-18-2016 | 09:24 PM
JK Enthusiast
Veteran: Marine Corp

First trip into the hills today with the can full and attached.

Miles of ruts, rocks, mud, sand and snow. Nary a rattle. All is well.

CW

Quick Reply: Side-mount Jerry Can Carriers for the JK