Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Side-mount Jerry Can Carriers for the JK

Old 03-11-2016 | 12:57 PM
JK Junkie

Default Im sure he will have a reasonable Answer

i personally cant see any ill effect , seeing the inner door mount is tub strength, it seems to hold a door on nicely with no problems . The upper windshield bolt is rigid , and under hood cowel is pretty strong but you could prob add a short 4" piece of super strut for added strength or support there . I wouldnt listen to people who havent even had one on their jeep . people say the same about large tires too but, see a lot of jeeps with them

i must have been typing a response same time as jscherb was lol
pretty much same view on it
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	075114025850lg.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	640338  

Last edited by jeepmojo; 03-11-2016 at 01:15 PM.
Old 03-11-2016 | 01:16 PM
JK Enthusiast
Veteran: Marine Corp

Well, I'm obviously giving it a shot!
Old 03-11-2016 | 01:24 PM
JK Junkie

Default yeh

I was gonna type in only one way to surely find out !

nice jeep you got there

btw: How could they know this if they dont have one
might wanna choose a solid line
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	8714805659_87b24bf080.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	242.8 KB
ID:	640340  

Last edited by jeepmojo; 03-11-2016 at 01:47 PM.
Old 03-11-2016 | 09:00 PM
DJ1
Former Member

got the passenger side mounted.....definitely had to massage that bracket in and make some adjustments because it came with the door hinge bracket bent about 45 degrees when I pulled it out of the box and the windshield hole was off by about 3/16" so I drilled that hole a little longer and made it into more of a vertical slot now to address the misalignment. I'm sure the bent hinge bracket caused the misalignment of the windshield pillar mounting point.

It's about 98% there.

Since I had to bend the door hinge mounting bracket back to a spot that is probably now out of spec, it's barely nudging up against the edge of the passenger door when the door is closed. Need to work that kink out so that'll probably take another hour since I'll have to remove, adjust, install, remove, adjust, etc. lol.

Aside from that, I'm good to go. Got dark out so wasn't able to take pics of it fully mounted but I did get a chance to hit a rutted service trail and muddy things up a bit. It held up pretty well from what I could tell.

Also used one of my "bolt" brand cable locks which is keyed to my ignition key. I use the same kind of cable to keep my spare on lock and my hi-lift on lock plus my hood lock. All 1 key. Also got the "bolt" brand hitch pin locks and a couple of their padlocks for my tool boxes. With all the pin #'s, passwords, etc. you need to remember these days, I'm keeping things as simple as possible. Ignition key lol.

I did get pics of that. Used a SS eyebolt.....

Last edited by DJ1; 03-12-2016 at 06:45 AM.
Old 03-12-2016 | 02:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by DJ1
got the passenger side mounted.....definitely had to massage that bracket in and make some adjustments because it came with the door hinge bracket bent about 45 degrees when I pulled it out of the box and the windshield hole was off by about 3/16" so I drilled that hole a little longer and made it into more of a vertical slot now to address the misalignment. I'm sure the bent hinge bracket caused the misalignment of the windshield pillar mounting point.

It's about 98% there.

Since I had to bend the door hinge mounting bracket back to a spot that is probably now out of spec, it's barely nudging up against the edge of the passenger door when the door is closed. Need to work that kink out so that'll probably take another hour since I'll have to remove, adjust, install, remove, adjust, etc. lol.

Aside from that, I'm good to go. Got dark out so wasn't able to take pics of it fully mounted but I did get a chance to hit a rutted service trail and muddy things up a bit. It held up pretty well from what I could tell.

Also used one of my "bolt" brand cable locks which is keyed to my ignition key. I use the same kind of cable to keep my spare on lock and my hi-lift on lock plus my hood lock. All 1 key. With all the pin #'s, passwords, etc. you need to remember these days, I'm keeping things as simple as possible. Ignition key lol.

I did get pics of that. Used a SS eyebolt.....
If the parts weren't perfect coming out of the box you should contact Ryan Wertz at MORryde (ryan.wertz@morryde.com) and tell him what was wrong. No drilling should ever be required to install it. If it's defective in some way Ryan will take care of you.
Old 03-12-2016 | 06:09 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Originally Posted by jscherb
If the parts weren't perfect coming out of the box you should contact Ryan Wertz at MORryde (ryan.wertz@morryde.com) and tell him what was wrong. No drilling should ever be required to install it. If it's defective in some way Ryan will take care of you.
Good to know and that's what I figured but I was already in the "zone" and this side mount was going on last night

Between the j-clip mounting point and the hinge mounting point, there still shouldn't be any vertical or horizontal play even more so once the windshield pillar torx screw is clamped down. I'll put the self tapping screw in to secure it further once I'm satisfied that the door nudge is taken care of.

...but yeah the box wasn't bent out of shape, torn, busted up or anything. The inside was packed pretty well so the hinge bracket got bent sometime before packing/shipping.

** If I can't get that door nudge fixed, then I'll definitely email Ryan to see what we can do. I ordered this unit from Retrofit Offroad but I think the defect flew under the radar at the factory...

Last edited by DJ1; 03-12-2016 at 06:51 AM.
Old 03-12-2016 | 06:14 AM
DJ1
Former Member

....and of course some initial pics. The 2nd pic you can actually see that door hinge bracket is bent. Even on the 1st pic it should be sticking straight out...

Click image for larger version

Name:	GOPR0686.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	730.8 KB
ID:	640386

Name:	GOPR0688.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	640384

Name:	GOPR0689.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	1.59 MB
ID:	640383

....I used this for the j-clip. Widen it just enough that you can slip and slide it in. That's what she said.

I even loosened the bolt first where part of my genesis tray is mounted which didn't help so the pry bar eventually came out. The sheet metal flexes back to the original factory location so no worries there. The front quarter panels are horrible though. Too thin....

Name:	GOPR0691.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	842.8 KB
ID:	640385

Last edited by DJ1; 03-12-2016 at 07:00 AM.
Old 03-12-2016 | 09:11 AM
JK Junkie

Default wow

It looks like it was ready to buckle it / with the crow bar .
when i saw how rigid the fender was The bolts were put back in &
the j clip was then opened up a tad and just tapped in to location at angle .

And that bracket was way off course

i know what you mean though my back plate had a cosmetic flaw in but i waited
long enough for it , it was going on either way . Hope bending it back didnt weaken its integrity

Last edited by jeepmojo; 03-12-2016 at 09:27 AM.
Old 03-12-2016 | 10:31 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Originally Posted by jeepmojo
It looks like it was ready to buckle it / with the crow bar .

Hope bending it back didnt weaken its integrity

In that last pic with the crow bar no force is being applied. There's a natural bend there from the Jeep factory. I was just trying to show everyone where to place it if you use one.

But yeah, if going the crowbar route you need to apply very minimal force. Just enough where you can let the j-clip ride on that ridge and slide down.

I hear you on the bracket integrity part though. I've only bent it back out to it's approximate "factory" location in a couple of increments. So always bent back out but not in. Haven't tried adjusting it since.
Old 03-12-2016 | 03:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Crowbars really shouldn't be necessary. Some gentle pressure is required, but I did both sides of mine without any prying tools - hands only.

Quick Reply: Side-mount Jerry Can Carriers for the JK