Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Show your Tuffy Security Full Console!

Old 04-30-2009, 04:33 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Watch your head taking off the t/c knob. Put a wrench under it and smack it up with a hammer. It'll come off after a couple of smacks and fly right at your head. The auto trans knob has a separate cover at the bottom of the T. Carefully pry that down and the screw that holds the knob on will be exposed. I think it was a torx. Unscrew it and the knob will pull straight up. There are four large torx screws that hold the console on. Ignore the little screws. Sometimes you can get away with pulling the ebrake handle up as far as it will go, sometimes you have to disconnect them at the rear brakes. Popping that lower plastic panel off the center dash will make everything much easier. Then pull the console up from the back until you clear the ebrake handle. That's it. Unless you have power windows. If you have those, once the console is up you'll see some orange wires going to a white plug. There's a thingy you have to push in on the white plug and it'll pull right out. Sorry for being so long and pictureless. My hands were too busy to work a camera when I was doing it.
Old 04-30-2009, 04:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by doc307
No, I have the Cobra 75 box behind the dash. I do keep the handset in there
when I want it locked up.

The install was pretty simple. Like the OP said removal of the stock one sucked. I ended up taking it completely apart which was easier with the seats removed. I ended up putting an open end wrench under the knob and hitting it with a hammer.
Thanks for the info doc!
Old 04-30-2009, 04:54 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well I'm close, its my Tuffy security drawer FULL
Old 04-30-2009, 04:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by seer1
Watch your head taking off the t/c knob. Put a wrench under it and smack it up with a hammer. It'll come off after a couple of smacks and fly right at your head. The auto trans knob has a separate cover at the bottom of the T. Carefully pry that down and the screw that holds the knob on will be exposed. I think it was a torx. Unscrew it and the knob will pull straight up. There are four large torx screws that hold the console on. Ignore the little screws. Sometimes you can get away with pulling the ebrake handle up as far as it will go, sometimes you have to disconnect them at the rear brakes. Popping that lower plastic panel off the center dash will make everything much easier. Then pull the console up from the back until you clear the ebrake handle. That's it. Unless you have power windows. If you have those, once the console is up you'll see some orange wires going to a white plug. There's a thingy you have to push in on the white plug and it'll pull right out. Sorry for being so long and pictureless. My hands were too busy to work a camera when I was doing it.
I appreciate the info and the time to explain in detail. I'm ready to pull the trigger!
Old 04-30-2009, 04:59 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tkob1060
Yep, yep, yep. After seeing it, I think I' going to switch mine out for the Security Enclosure. It looks almost twice as big. Then I can fill that up.
Old 04-30-2009, 05:05 PM
JK Super Freak

The new tuffy deck sure looks nice, but I would have to remove my rear seat:-(
Old 04-30-2009, 05:06 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by seer1
Yep, yep, yep. After seeing it, I think I' going to switch mine out for the Security Enclosure. It looks almost twice as big. Then I can fill that up.
if you look at the height of the new one verse the drawer, I think they are the same, the nice thing about the drawer it keeps it all contained and no rolling or sliding around, but the nice thing about the new one is you can lift the lid and maybe get something bigger back there, but if you really need to you can put the big thing in back seat they both are great if you ask me, The drawer sliders are rated to 300lbs, I have a lot in there and the top is strong as hell too, had 100lbs up there couple days ago. plus you can still get stuff underneath...everything tuffy makes rocks IMO
Old 04-30-2009, 05:23 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by tkob1060
Yup, I know what thats like...

Mine is full, and I'm really digging the new shelf they're about to release! I've half a mind to sell my drawer though... maybe.

TKOB, where did you get the side rails / tie down points... I like that and would like those added to my drawer!
Old 04-30-2009, 08:08 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by eaglemikeo
Yup, I know what thats like...

Mine is full, and I'm really digging the new shelf they're about to release! I've half a mind to sell my drawer though... maybe.

TKOB, where did you get the side rails / tie down points... I like that and would like those added to my drawer!
the rails are awesome with some ratchet straps
http://www.tuffyproducts.com/p-214-1...own-rails.aspx

or

http://www.tuffyproducts.com/p-215-1...r-anchors.aspx

they even have lockable tie down straps http://www.tuffyproducts.com/p-222-8...ooks-pair.aspx
Old 05-03-2009, 01:21 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jayrav
I love it! You gotta tell how you did the LED trick.
How did you remove the shifter nobs? I was told that are difficult to remove.

Thanks!
The LED is from STREET GLO. Below are two links that solved a problem all our JK's have. I plan on using these LED's on many more projects I have planed.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ght=street+glo

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ght=street+glo

Find the orange wire w/ white stripe and splice into it. This is the instrument cluster light circuit. It works great.

The transfer case knob pulled off. I just grabbed a hold of it and pulled straight up. Came right off!! The Auto Trans portion is untouched. The full install was really easy.

Quick Reply: Show your Tuffy Security Full Console!