Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Show your Swing Away tire carriers!

Old 02-20-2009, 08:47 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CIJeep
Don't know if the manufacturers pay any attention to threads like these but I am also in the market for the whole enchilada. Problem is there are no perfect matches. If you review this thread you will notice one glaring deficiency. Look at the tire carriers and bumpers. Only a couple come close to fitting reasonable well. 80% or better have the spare mounted way too high as well as sticking out way too far. What's up with that?

I have a way around that problem and when/if I get the chance/time to make it I'll be sure to share it.
Some of these results might just be a product of their design... But I know some intentionally raised them. I have the OR-Fab Jerry Can/Tire Carrier (which kicks some serious ass by the way) and it is designed to be 5" higher than stock. This puts your spare further out of the way of obstacles on the trail and improves your departure angle. Granted, on their carrier, it sits out about 5-6" further back also to accommodate the jerry cans... I guess thats the price to pay if you want that option. I cant tell you enough how much I place an emphasis on approach and departure angles. This pic is a perfect example of why you dont want anything hanging lower than your frame rails. Also, it was so steep that a full size front bumper wouldnt have allowed my front tires to get onto the face of the fall. Stubbies all the way baby! This is also an example of why I'm not a fan of that inexpensive Rancho unit. The tabs and hinge that stick out on the bottom would get bent and destroyed in cases like this.

For the record, this pushed my spare into my tailgate and actually bent my tailgate pretty good. The OR-Fab even straightened it out quite a bit. (Note that this was a stock tire carrier when the photo was taken.)

Old 02-20-2009, 09:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Bulldog Fab, for now, getting new one in april when i go see Mitchell

can you say UPGRADE
Old 02-21-2009, 09:16 AM
JK Junkie

Does anyone have the or-fab without gerry cans or is not out yet
Old 02-21-2009, 10:57 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by NTXJK
Does anyone have the or-fab without gerry cans or is not out yet
It's pictured in first post. Available direct from orfab.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:22 PM
JK Junkie

Yeah I saw that just wanted to see it in a def angle im ordering mine on monday the crazy thing is the one without the gerry can holder runs a $100 more wtf is up with that
Old 02-21-2009, 01:37 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by NTXJK
Yeah I saw that just wanted to see it in a def angle im ordering mine on monday the crazy thing is the one without the gerry can holder runs a $100 more wtf is up with that
dont think Quad carries the bare one.
and the gerry is more expensive than the bare on the or fab site.

Im sure bare will drop on quad when they carry it, or theyll raise the gerry.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:21 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Default Tire & Can Carrier vs Tire Only Carrier

Originally Posted by AlmightyCrash
dont think Quad carries the bare one.
and the gerry is more expensive than the bare on the or fab site.

Im sure bare will drop on quad when they carry it, or theyll raise the gerry.
Hey Guys,

When we first released the tire only carrier we produced this product in very small runs, which is why the product cost was higher at first. Since the release our production runs have increased to a point that they are basically the same as the tire/can carrier.

The material cost of the tire only carrier is about $27 less than the tire/can carrier. You should find the same costs difference on the market as well. If you know any vendors that are still reflecting a higher price on the tire only carrier, PM me. We'll help the vendor get their price where it should be.

Yates

Yates
Old 02-22-2009, 09:54 AM
JK Freak

OR-Fab tire/gas can carrier. I love this thing. It is STRONG! No rattles at all. I would recommend this one to anyone.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0549 (Medium).jpg
Views:	538
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	19652

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0551 (Medium).jpg
Views:	513
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	19653
Old 02-22-2009, 10:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Default Yay for you!

Originally Posted by wrnglrguy
OR-Fab tire/gas can carrier. I love this thing. It is STRONG! No rattles at all. I would recommend this one to anyone.....

Attachment 19652

Attachment 19653
You my friend just made my day, I was kind of worried about the stability of it but was in love with the usefulness and appearance and now I am FOR SURE getting it, thanks again
Old 02-22-2009, 06:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

The JK-Forum members are mind readers! Everytime I get an idea to get something new, amazingly, someone starts a thread to examine the possibilites.

Quick Reply: Show your Swing Away tire carriers!