Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Show your radar detectors in your jeep

Old 06-28-2008, 06:24 AM
Wes
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by isuadam
Out here many interstates are 75mph speed limit. I couldn't go 80mph in my Jeep if I drove it off a cliff....

... But I promise you I could drive it UP that cliff! And THAT, my friends, is what Jeeps are for™
All this arguing and you guys missed the best post in this thread
Old 06-28-2008, 10:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jkMatt
Let's see some radar detectors. Maybe Valentine 1, 8500 x50, 9500i maybe?... Les see what you got.
JKMatt,
I'll help you out, here's my V1

x

x

x
Old 06-28-2008, 11:18 PM
JK Freak

I have a V1 as well, love it...
Old 06-29-2008, 01:45 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by N2rock
+1

Yeah, I've heard all the comments about radar detectors being bad, radar detectors not needed in a JK, etc...

But I've owned radar detectors in every vehicle I've ever owned, and they have saved my butt repeatedly. IMHO, speed limits around town are set too slow, and 90% of the cars are speeding on them. I mean, when you have a 4 lane with a grass median, and there is a 2 mile stretch of it that has no stop lights/signs, no businesses, no parking lots, nothing at all but empty fields on both sides, why set the speed limit at 35mph? So everyone traveling that stretch is doing a minimum of 45mph. And then the cops set up at the end with a radar

Or a highway thru town that is 60mph on one side of the overpass, and then drops to 50mph on the opposite side, and yet there is nothing there but empty fields- can you say "free income for the city"?

Nope, I'm not accelerating away from the lights like a sports car (ha- fat chance with an automatic, 4.10's and 35's ) But I do end up going faster than the speed limit, and almost every car around me is doing the same thing. But I'm the one that will avoid the speeding ticket when the cops set up one of their typical speed traps.
AMEN!! You are SO right. I've never seen a place where people voluntarily drive 10 below the limit until I moved to the South. Just because YOU have all day to get to where you are going, doesn't mean everyone else behind you does.
I actually traded in a sportscar for my first jeep because I was tired of getting pulled over for doing 30-40mph!
I don't have a detector i my jeep, but I fully understand people who do when they live in the land of mobile taxation units AKA police who give tickets for going 30 mph on a perfectly straight an open divided road.
Old 06-29-2008, 01:49 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by KJRubiconWannaBe
There's no guarantee that even if you are going the speed limited (whether it's 15 or 55) that you'll be able to stop in time to avoid something unavoidable.

Only the driver knows the capabilities of his truck, car, jeep, etc. and his reaction time.

The faster you go, within your own capabilities, the less time you'll be on the road and the less chance of having an accident.
BINGO- You nailed it!
Old 06-29-2008, 02:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Good one! Radar Detector....I've a Cobra that I keep in the house in case I want to race a JK on my mountain bike.
Old 06-29-2008, 02:37 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It has nothing to do with a need for speed.
so you just like to know when your speed is being monitored?
Old 06-29-2008, 02:43 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

poll: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/radar-detector-poll-45955/

Old 06-29-2008, 03:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i don't have or want one in my jk.. for a couple of reasons..
1) window is already small dont want stuff to cludder
2) Hard to keep that thing going fast enough with the 37's don't worry about speeding.
would use it on a road trip though if i could get my JK to drive straight enough down the highway to make a road trip, that is.

Now i would like to have one in my Chevrolet pickup. it is very easy to catch myself drifting 10-15 mph over the speed limit. Also i drive through about 5 towns that are nothing but speed traps on my way to work every day... 3 miles of 45 MPH road with not a building or intersection in sight.

NOW.. i don't want it so that i can speed in those areas. I am content with doing the limit but i want it in case i am speeding and i hear it go off as a reminder when the police clock someone in front of me
Old 06-29-2008, 04:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

And yet another unintelligent comment of someone that has some misconception that radar detectors are only for people that want to go 100mph Or the belief that radar detectors are only for people that want to race from light to light

It has nothing to do with a need for speed.
What's so unintelligent about my comment, tool? I think it's unintelligent to presume that I think about radar detectors as devices that are used to go over 100MPH or to insinuate that I have only used mine to "race from light to light". It's not appropriate to call someone unintelligent based on your ignorant perception of them which you gleaned from a few words on a website...especially tool-ish behavior for an area leader.

Quick Reply: Show your radar detectors in your jeep