Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Show your painted or powder coated "black factory wheels"

Old 07-08-2009, 03:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by highergr0und
Here's mine painted...

Up close....

A quick rundown....

I took off all 5 wheels leaving the jeep up on jackstands. I suppose 1 or 2 at a time would work, but I wanted an "assembly line" so I could work through all five and by the time I was done with number 5, number 1 would be ready for more work (for the most part). Tires were left on for the whole process.

I sanded each wheel inside and out with a fine grit paper.

I let some air out of each tire to allow me to wedge posterboard between the rim and rubber. I cut a bunch of small pieces of the posterboard with small curves to shield the tire from spray and carefully set it up.

I used self etching primer first on the front and back of each wheel. I put a few light coats and lightly sanded just to make sure it was smooth all around.

After the priming was all set, I used Rustoleum Hammered black spray paint. Once again, set the posterboard template and several light coats on each wheel inside and out. I didn't really worry about making sure the inside was perfect, but I wanted it to be black. I used quick strokes on the outside taking a lot of care to make sure it looked great.

I let everything dry overnight and threw the wheels back on the next day. It's been well over a year and I've only had to touch up one spot. The reason I used the hammered paint was so any touching up would be easy. The textured finish allows you to kind of spray and go if you need to do anything rather than redoing all the prep work.

I think the whole thing cost me about $30 or so. I didn't want to powdercoat since any chip or gash requires a full redo of the wheel.

Thank you! Finally answer to my question. I wasn't sure how to go about doing mine. I didn't want to have to put my rid up on jackstands and be with out my Jeep (My daily driver) while my rims were out for powdercoating. Thanks again for all you wrote.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:46 AM
JK Newbie

Here you go guys mounted, I sprayed the center caps and lugs last night and they came out really nice but will probally need one more coat to match the wheels perfectly.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	mounted.jpg
Views:	1379
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	26713   Click image for larger version

Name:	mounted2.jpg
Views:	1383
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	26714   Click image for larger version

Name:	mounted3.jpg
Views:	4844
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	26715  
Old 07-09-2009, 01:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by limj23
Here you go guys mounted, I sprayed the center caps and lugs last night and they came out really nice but will probally need one more coat to match the wheels perfectly.

WOW! Those look great!

I take it, your Jeep was up on jackstands for a week while you had them out for powdercoating?

You said about $85.00 per wheel?

Did they take the tire off for you and put it back on when finished?
Old 07-09-2009, 04:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

i sanded with red scotch brite pads then wiped down with lacquer thinner then a tack cloth. kinda wished i woulda used self etching primmer but only because i had to grind some rock rash off and paint dosent like to stick to raw aluminum. i painted with pj1 satin black case paint. this is epoxy paint. 8 dollars a can, used 3 cans.

i took the tires off to do this
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0109.jpg
Views:	6186
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	26739   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0110.jpg
Views:	5910
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	26740   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0120.jpg
Views:	5993
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	26741  
Old 07-09-2009, 05:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had my factory Sahara wheels painted Black by a local paint & body shop guy (on the side). They were going to be about $85 per wheel, but the price jumped to about $140 per wheel when I added the Sunburst Orange painted wheel slots (inserts) and the center cap too.

The guy (Mike) did a great job. He painted the entire wheel black (front and back sides), plus coats of clear-coat. He kept the tires on the entire time, but he did knock the wheel weights off so I could have them re-installed on the inside of the rim. I took the unbalanced rims to my local dealer who balanced them with weights on the inside.

I know to each their own, but I have received many positive comments on these wheels. I'm glad I spent the money for the look that I wanted.

Here they are:

Old 07-09-2009, 06:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00887 (2).JPG
Views:	1744
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	26744

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00888.JPG
Views:	1782
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	26745Here is mine with the Duplicolor spray on bedliner. Has been on for 5 months now without any problems.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:30 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Seabee CMC
Attachment 26744

Attachment 26745Here is mine with the Duplicolor spray on bedliner. Has been on for 5 months now without any problems.
What prep did you use?
Old 07-10-2009, 04:34 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by adoornbosc
wow! Those look great!

I take it, your jeep was up on jackstands for a week while you had them out for powdercoating?

You said about $85.00 per wheel?

Did they take the tire off for you and put it back on when finished?

yea jack stands for a week and no they do not have tire equiptment, I had pepboys take them off and mount them for me. 425 for powdercoating and 200 for wheel services.

Last edited by limj23; 07-10-2009 at 04:38 AM.
Old 07-10-2009, 04:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by limj23
yea jack stands for a week and no they do not have tire equiptment, I had pepboys take them off and mount them for me. 425 for powdercoating and 200 for wheel services.
jack stands for 12 hours
discount tires $80 for tire services
and $35 for paint
Old 07-10-2009, 10:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sunburst-Kid
I had my factory Sahara wheels painted Black by a local paint & body shop guy (on the side). They were going to be about $85 per wheel, but the price jumped to about $140 per wheel when I added the Sunburst Orange painted wheel slots (inserts) and the center cap too.

The bit of color really set them off. They look great.

Jon.

Quick Reply: Show your painted or powder coated "black factory wheels"