Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Show off your shift knobs!

Old 03-28-2011, 05:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KY.

dammit. haha touche touche, still theres no need for the shifter to be up by your head. Just like bikers with the handle bars above their heads they have to reach for to drive, looks ridiculous.
As you said it's all what you're into and I admit it is extreme but what about jeeps isn't? It looks more ridiculous then it is I'll try and take a video of me shifting it and post it up. The pictures don't give a good perspective of it's functionality there really isn't any uncomfortable reach for the shifter. I always thought 18 wheelers were cool so I wanted to incorporate some of that styling into my jeep.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:20 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by c21ed
Monkey Fist with Golf Ball as the core.

That thing is amazing! Best ive seen yet!
Old 03-28-2011, 09:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the heads up. I know my brother is interested and his bday is coming up. I think I might go with something yellow. Anybody got any good ideas besides the pool ball? I have a detonator yellow jeep
Old 03-29-2011, 01:21 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JK Beach Bum
you need to do a write up about how you did this. I can do a monkeys fist, but incorporating it into a shift knob is awesome.
Someone sent me a PM and this was my response. Hope it helps.

There is no way I can explain in words how to tie it. I have tried to teach friends sitting in front of me with no success. There are a bunch of youtube video's showing how to do it. I can give you some pointers though. You will want your cord to be a little larger than your core after you wrap it 5 times. For example when I do key chains with para cord I use a 5/8 -7/8 inch ball bearing. One you have the basic knot slowly tighten it a little at a time. I end up going around it 4-5 times to get it tight. Before it gets to tight (around your second pass) make sure to tuck the loose piece under 4 cords at a 90 degree angle. I use needle nose pliers after about the third tightening pass. If you start ending up with two sides that are scrunched together give up and start again, it will only get worse. After I had the ball done I sprayed the hole thing with three coats of pollyurithane to keep it together then I drilled out the core with a spade bit.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Nice knobs!

Nice knobs!

Some really creative shifters in this thread. Especially the monkey-fist knot. I make those frequently as toys for my dog.

For you guys that purchase Gennie Shifter Knobs online, where are you getting them from? I found a couple of Rat Rod sites that have some but they seemed a little pricy. I would like to get a yellow ball engraved with the 6-speed pattern.

Also, I really like the leather shift boot. I checked Red Line's site and they seem pretty reasonable. However, I was wondering if someone had a pattern available. I think if I had a pattern, I could call Iggee and have them make me a custom boot to match my seat covers.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Almost made a pattern before I mounted mine, but I was so anxious to get it on that I couldn't wait.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:04 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by c21ed
Someone sent me a PM and this was my response. Hope it helps.

There is no way I can explain in words how to tie it. I have tried to teach friends sitting in front of me with no success. There are a bunch of youtube video's showing how to do it. I can give you some pointers though. You will want your cord to be a little larger than your core after you wrap it 5 times. For example when I do key chains with para cord I use a 5/8 -7/8 inch ball bearing. One you have the basic knot slowly tighten it a little at a time. I end up going around it 4-5 times to get it tight. Before it gets to tight (around your second pass) make sure to tuck the loose piece under 4 cords at a 90 degree angle. I use needle nose pliers after about the third tightening pass. If you start ending up with two sides that are scrunched together give up and start again, it will only get worse. After I had the ball done I sprayed the hole thing with three coats of pollyurithane to keep it together then I drilled out the core with a spade bit.
I know the videos on youtube can teach you how to tie one cause thats how I learned. My only question is what type of rope did you use?
Old 04-03-2011, 05:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Click image for larger version

Name:	shifterknob.jpeg
Views:	2547
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	145932 heres my shrunken head I fabbed up for a shift knob.
Old 05-07-2011, 04:43 PM
JK Newbie

Default Mine

Click image for larger version

Name:	P3220517.jpg
Views:	2507
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	158214Here are mine
Old 05-07-2011, 04:51 PM
JK Enthusiast