Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Show me your homemade c-channel bumpers.

Old 12-25-2008, 11:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Show me your homemade c-channel bumpers.

I am looking into making my own bumpers, so I am interested to see your homemade c-channel bumpers. Fronts are good, but Im mostly looking for rears, particularly how you mounted them.
Old 12-26-2008, 04:55 AM
JK Freak

here's a bump. I wouldn't mind seeing this for myself.
Old 12-26-2008, 06:26 AM
JK Newbie

Here is what I did with mine. It has Line X and PJ shackle mounts.

Before I added the shackle mounts, I just used the factory tow hooks to mount the bumper.

After I added the shackle mounts.

Old 12-26-2008, 07:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm SOOO doing this! Already have my steel C channel. I'm going to angle the ends the same way you did and then cut a fairlead hole for the winch. My winch hangs between the frame rails so it should line up perfectly (I hope) with the C channel. Also, Quadratec has a light bar available that mounts to the front frame rails that should work really well with this setup. I'll post pictures here as I make progress.

Quadratec: RealWheels Pre-Runner Light Bar in Black Powder Coat

Old 12-26-2008, 08:53 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Geko45
My winch hangs between the frame rails so it should line up perfectly (I hope) with the C channel.

Quadratec: RealWheels Pre-Runner Light Bar in Black Powder Coat

What kind of winch mount plate are you using?
Old 12-26-2008, 09:08 AM
JK Freak

looks exactly like what I want to do...but I want to use the stock tow hooks behind AND have the d-rings shackles on the front ...do the shackle holes line up with the stock tow hook holes??? or was that a custom install?
Old 12-26-2008, 09:09 AM
JK Freak

by the way..where did you find the C channel stock??..is it iron ?
Old 12-26-2008, 10:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is the front mounting bracket I had made for my front bumper. It was welded to the bumper after I got the design overbuilt. We welded the top bolt head in above the triangle. I needed the room to reach in and bolt it together.The clevis tab was welded to side of the mount and welded from behind and front of the bumper. My whole bumper is way overbuilt as far as being stout. You won't need this kind of space with a straight C-channel. You probably know this but just in case I will say it anyway- before you weld on the frame or bumper disconnect the battery completely so you don't fry your computer. I like to lay welding gloves over the terminals so they can't fall back down on the post.

Completed with skid

Last edited by Geeper4x4; 12-26-2008 at 06:02 PM.
Old 12-26-2008, 10:58 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 07crawler
by the way..where did you find the C channel stock??..is it iron ?

Find a local fabrication shop in your area and they can supply you with it. The one I am using is 3/16" steel. It is very strong.

The shackle mounts line right up with everything, no fabrication needed. All that is required are holes on the C channel themselves.
Old 12-26-2008, 02:16 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by whiskeytango
Find a local fabrication shop in your area and they can supply you with it. The one I am using is 3/16" steel. It is very strong.

The shackle mounts line right up with everything, no fabrication needed. All that is required are holes on the C channel themselves.
cool thanks alot for the info..I found a place to get the stock....good to hear that the holes line up..will make it better for what I want to do

Quick Reply: Show me your homemade c-channel bumpers.