Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Shiny black paint, anyone?

Old 08-31-2009, 06:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks awesome especially since it's seen it's share of trail time... Think you're inspiring a few of us to go beyond just the wash and detailing spray this weekend.... I need a buffer now
Old 08-31-2009, 06:59 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice polishing job man! I used to get obsessed with my Tahoe, use Zaino on it like it was going out of style and polish it to that "mirror shine" all the time. It truly does make a huge difference in the lifespan of the vehicle in the way you take care of it. I've been keeping up with my JK its black as well.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:01 AM
JK Super Freak

zook, I'm with ya on living in the Salt Belt. Winter sucks the high hard one.

littlejon, robin, fadeout thank you (Zaino is good stuff too, fadeout).

doc, I discovered you need a BIG air compressor to run these wheels effectively. If there is a high quality electric buffer out there (and I'm not talking about the crap Craftsman model which I own), then that might be a worthwhile alternative.

In the end, it's easy to let our Jeeps get and stay dirty. They look good with some dirt IMO, but I've still got $30K invested in my X counting purchase price, so it doesn't make much sense not to take care of it.

Use it like it was intended to be used, then pay it the respect it deserves for taking you to, over and back home from the mountains...

Old 08-31-2009, 07:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

love black! i was so sick of red. it is a challenge to keep clean, but with the right products it can be done. and nothing looks as good as black when its clean!!
Old 08-31-2009, 04:40 PM
JK Freak

Has anyone tried "The black Box" yet. I think turtle Wax makes it. ??

How about 3M Imperial han glaze.??

So what kind of a buffer do I need. Air or electric ???
Old 08-31-2009, 04:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zook
Has anyone tried "The black Box" yet. I think turtle Wax makes it. ??

How about 3M Imperial han glaze.??

So what kind of a buffer do I need. Air or electric ???
If you don't have experience, start with a Porter Cable orbital polisher. The Air wheel he used to do his is VERY easy to mess paint up with if you haven't had much experience.
Old 10-17-2009, 02:31 PM
JK Freak

I do like mine shiney, It too gets used. I don't go to the buffer extreme yet. I have found Turtle Wax Ice works great for a quick shine. I really like the way it works on the plastic trim. Having two black vehicles in salt covered roads can be a little daunting to keep looking good. Nice job Omaha, mine will be ready for a good buffing by spring time.
Old 10-17-2009, 03:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

bad ass bro......i will have to try that sometime. great info. thanks.
Old 10-17-2009, 06:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Makita makes my favorite electric buffer. I've had mine for years and love it. 3m makes a 2 stage buffing system that works great! You can get it at any automotive supply store... perfect it compound and polish. You use 2 different pads, one for compound, then another for polish. Put on a good coat of wax after your done and your set.

Last edited by JKAdam; 10-17-2009 at 06:14 PM.
Old 10-17-2009, 06:12 PM
JK Freak

this one almost looks CHROMED, AWESOME!!!
Thats one of times when you just get done ... and someone calls and says "Lets go wheeling"
AAAAA......OKAY LETS GO!

Quick Reply: Shiny black paint, anyone?