Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Serious issue !!!

Old 01-24-2011, 03:41 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Serious issue !!!

have a 2009 2dr jk x. currentyl on long island its freezing, which i think has something to do with my problem. normally for the past few months, while driving at around 55mph, i would be able to feel like a humming feeling in the acceleration pedal. if i gave it less or more gas it went away. now, went out last night, and it wasnt till my jeep warmed up did i noice that when i would come to a complete stop, then accelerate, around 10mph id get a terrible grinding feeling in the acceleration pedal. did it a couple of times, same thing. opened the window, i could hear a grinding noise. put it in 4wheel High, noise and feeling went away. put it back in 2, wasnt there anymore. so i went to work this morning, feeling came back when i got to my job. also, when i start the jeep in the mornings or aftr a while when its not being used for a while, it makes a funny noise when it starts. only real mods i have are a TeraFlex 2.5" puck lift with shock adapters and a snorkel by AEV..... talk to me guys, what do u think?
Old 01-24-2011, 07:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

I wonder if you are having a transfer case issue... might be the gears acting up in there.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:43 AM
JK Freak

yea thats what i was thinking, especially when i put it in and out of 4wheel drive. on another note, i think the sounds that im getting when i start her up is me momentarilly running dry. so cold that all the oils settle in the pan. anyone no how to solve that issue too?
Old 01-24-2011, 07:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

The noise at cold start up is normal, mine does it, actually all my Jeeps have done it in the past. It was -10 here in NJ this a.m. and it did it...kind of like a little squeek the first 2 seconds.

The other problem may be low fluid in transfer case, or the wrong fluid...I just changed all the fluids on my 2009, and was surprised how dirty they were (man. trans, trans case and diffs)
Old 01-24-2011, 07:51 AM
JK Newbie

If you hear grinding get it to a dealer or if you are out of warranty into a tranny shop to get checked out. TODAY! They can quickly check for metal in the trans fluid. Don't put it off! I did. $3,500 later and a rebuilt tranny I paid the price.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by mattyhfd
yea thats what i was thinking, especially when i put it in and out of 4wheel drive. on another note, i think the sounds that im getting when i start her up is me momentarilly running dry. so cold that all the oils settle in the pan. anyone no how to solve that issue too?
I got a bad dry start this morning since it was -3 deg's. Belts sounded like they were frozen right to the pulleys and the engine had a bit of a knock, but settled down after a couple seconds. Doesn't get this cold too often where I am in MA, but thinking about one of those magnetic block heaters..
Old 01-24-2011, 07:05 PM
JK Freak

the whole dry start thing im not as worried about as the grind in the pedal that you can hear from outside of my jk
Old 01-24-2011, 07:13 PM
JK Freak

Everytime I start my Jeep in the cold I hear and feel a grinding noise for a brief second. It never did that when it was new. Im not sure what it is but my engine is burning 3 qts of oil every oil change interval. When they fix that ill see if it goes away.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:20 PM
Former Member

The grinding noise does sound like either a tranny or TC issue. Get it checked quick. To get rid of the ear wrenching dry start noise:
When you go to start your JK in the morning when it's cold-
1. Push gas pedal all the way down and hold it down
2. Turn to the key to the START position like you would normally
3. The engine will just turn over and over and over without firing up as long as you hold the gas pedal down. This allows the engine to get nice and lubed up before it sees idle RPMs.
4. Let off of gas pedal after 5-10 seconds and the engine will crank like normal
5. No more metal on metal noises or extreme wear on the engine from dry/cold starts

Old 01-24-2011, 07:37 PM
JK Freak

thanks ill give it a shot!!

Quick Reply: Serious issue !!!