Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Semi vs jku

Old 11-10-2012, 10:06 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Semi vs jku

I have this posted on several Jeep forums. So as the title says. You are about to see the carnage of my JKU vs a Semi tractor trailer from Tuesday night. This happened on my way home from work on I-40 in Albuquerque. Semi driver was sleeping, and decided to plow into me, which in turn caused me to take out 3 other vehicles while we were driving about 5 mph. Truck driver was doing about 45mph and didn't stop until after he made impact with my Jeeps ass. I walked away (actually transported by ambulance) with minor injuries. Jeeps are tough with the right equipment. Enjoy.

BEFORE:

AFTER THE ACCIDENT:

ACCIDENT SCENE:

As you can see from the pics, the Hanson Offroad bumpers took the hit, and saved my ass! The car in front of me was opened up like an aluminum can from my front bumper which only received some scratches. The rear bumper/tire carrier and spare tire, hi-lift jack absorbed most of the impact from the big rig. The force was great enough to shear off my driver and rear passenger seat brackets that hold the seats to the floor. This in turn caused my to hit the top of my head on the roof panel which I am thankful was covered with acoutic padding. The impact also broke the driveshafts, and chromoly control arms on my Rubicon Express long arm kit. The explosion like impact shook me up, but the Jeep held up, and I am alive to tell you all. By the way, I have a purchase order for a 2013 JKU Rubicon that I take delivery on this weekend! You better believe Hanson Offroad bumpers some of the first things I upgrade...
Old 11-10-2012, 10:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ouch!!! Glad to hear you are okay. Sorry to hear about your loss though. Good luck going forward.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:16 AM
JK Newbie

WOW!!!

Well the good thing is, is that your still alive and kicking. I'm surprise that your JKU held up pretty well from the impact from the accident.

Where the other people in the three cars ok?

Also, what happened to the truck driver?
Old 11-10-2012, 10:30 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks. The folks in the other vehicles were ok for the most part. Guy in front of me went to ER with me on ambulance with pain in neck, and chest. The semi driver was fine, and cited for his negligence. His insurance adjuster is compensating me for every penny I put into my Jeep and then some extra $ for the hassle. I will be settling my personal injury claim at a later date. Just glad I am alive to type this... I take delivery of my 2013 JKU Rubicon today or Monday depending on paperwork.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:35 AM
JK Freak

Glad you're alright man. It was a real clean looking Jeep too. Good to know you'll be back in one soon as well.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:41 AM
JK Newbie

All in all vs a Semi truck, it held up well. A smaller vehicle would have been run over.

Smart car, Mini, Fiat 500, game over...

The Jeep can replaced, you cant.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CavCop
All in all vs a Semi truck, it held up well. A smaller vehicle would have been run over.

Smart car, Mini, Fiat 500, game over...

The Jeep can replaced, you cant.
Sorry about the jeep. That sucks!
Cavcop : check some of those you tube vids for smart car crash tests, you will be amazed at what that thing will take. It is built by Benz!
Old 11-10-2012, 10:51 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dbmoorejr

Sorry about the jeep. That sucks!
Cavcop : check some of those you tube vids for smart car crash tests, you will be amazed at what that thing will take. It is built by Benz!
Yeah it is kinda like a roll cage all around lol
Old 11-10-2012, 10:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's pretty good, I've seen a lot worse from less. You got lucky. Jeep held up well.
You are definitely correct about the rear bumper taking most of the hit.

Here's a semi on top of a Hyundai, just for fun ;-)

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4145826018.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	387344
Old 11-10-2012, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Sorry to hear about that, but he good thing is you are ok. The truck driver deserves a huge lawsuit

Quick Reply: Semi vs jku