Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Secure rear storage and seat covers

Old 08-02-2007, 07:28 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry, i don't know much about wood, but don't you have to water proof it? or won't it swell?

also, what would stop someone from taking a saw to your setup?
Old 08-02-2007, 07:40 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by bcperry2000
sorry, i don't know much about wood, but don't you have to water proof it? or won't it swell?

WTF?

I don't think very many car thieves carry around 18v cordless circular saws. Maybe a few more than those sporting torches for cutting parts off when they see something they want.

Nice job, by the way. I take it you really like to stay hydrated, judging by the dedicated fridge. I like the mini rack too. What will the final finish on the wood portion be?
Old 08-02-2007, 08:15 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Ge99ne
WTF?

I don't think very many car thieves carry around 18v cordless circular saws. Maybe a few more than those sporting torches for cutting parts off when they see something they want.

Nice job, by the way. I take it you really like to stay hydrated, judging by the dedicated fridge. I like the mini rack too. What will the final finish on the wood portion be?
saw, axe, crow bar, large rock. same thing thieves use to break windows and doors. i thought about doing something similar but then thought....i wonder why tuffy doesn't use wood on their security products.

in speaking to a policeman one time...he told me that alot of times thieves will follow you home and come back at a later time...maybe with supplies?
Old 08-02-2007, 08:39 AM
dsy
JK Freak

I like boiled linseed oil for wood exposed to the elements. I have wood ladders that have always been kept outside that are probably older than myself which are still in good condition and per my Grandfather were only ever treated with linseed oil once a year.
As far as taking a saw to it.... Yea I guess I should not have called it "secure storage" its not a vault. If someone is determined enough they will find a way.
Right now I can put goodies out of sight. And if the thief of opportunity does get inside hopefully he wont want to take the time to go through the steel reinforced 3/4" oak plywood to see what's inside.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:03 AM
JK Freak

saw, axe, crow bar, large rock. same thing thieves use to break windows and doors. i thought about doing something similar but then thought....i wonder why tuffy doesn't use wood on their security products.

in speaking to a policeman one time...he told me that alot of times thieves will follow you home and come back at a later time...maybe with supplies?
If they are that determined to get your sh*t, nothing Tuffy makes will stop them either...

Nice job on the mods.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:18 AM
dsy
JK Freak

Originally Posted by edubreuil
If they are that determined to get your sh*t, nothing Tuffy makes will stop them either...

Nice job on the mods.
Thanks, Half the fun of a jeep is personalizing it.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:08 AM
JK Freak

how strong is the setup as far as load goes? could you put quite a bit of weight on it? i'm thinking it would be cool to use as a removable trunk cover where stuff could be stored inside as well as on top.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dsy
Yes I did all the welding. Was the only way to get what I wanted. It is very strong. I tend to overbuild things

I didnt do a write up of the cb install because it was all pretty straight forward.
There is not a ton of room in the sound bar but right around the speakers there is some free space. Enough to hide the head unit for the Cobra anyway.
thank you,
you're on a roll keep us updated if you do anything new. I like your style.
when mine gets in ( red rubi ordered feb 28) I'll probably start taking thigs apart immediatly to see what i can come up with.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default party

how strong is the setup as far as load goes? could you put quite a bit of weight on it? i'm thinking it would be cool to use as a removable trunk cover where stuff could be stored inside as well as on top.
3/4" plywood with that support looks comparable to an upstairs floor in a house, you should be able to dance on it.
Old 08-02-2007, 06:48 PM
dsy
JK Freak

I weigh a little over 200lbs and I was standing on top of it and I could not get anything to flex at all. The main cross member that is bolted into the roll bar on each side is 3/16" thick by 1 1/2" angle iron. It would hold what ever you wanted to put up there with in reason. It is removable, but not something you would want to be putting in and taking out all the time. Would probably take about 1/2 hour or so to do. I will be leaving it in all the time.

Quick Reply: Secure rear storage and seat covers