Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Scorpicon's Bolt-On Build Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 06:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by StrizzyChris
Installed my stinger yesterday in a few spare minutes i had while packing for my move.

Also Painted my fender-wells black

Looks great! A lot cleaner. What did you use to paint?
Old 04-26-2013, 04:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cali Cosmos
Looks great! A lot cleaner. What did you use to paint?
I used rustoleum matte black rattle can. It went on pretty well, and is pretty forgiving paint. I did some thick(probably too thick IMHO) but didn't have any problems with running etc. I will say that one of my taped edges wasn't completely sealed where the body contour is at the pinch seam. Im kind of ticked at myself for missing that and having a slight underspray that made it past that and not a perfect line.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by StrizzyChris
I used rustoleum matte black rattle can. It went on pretty well, and is pretty forgiving paint. I did some thick(probably too thick IMHO) but didn't have any problems with running etc. I will say that one of my taped edges wasn't completely sealed where the body contour is at the pinch seam. Im kind of ticked at myself for missing that and having a slight underspray that made it past that and not a perfect line.
Yea I've used that on a few things before. I always have a can or two of it laying around for whatever I may need it for. I'll be doing the fender soon so this seems to be a must afterwards, it really cleans up the look.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

So here is a pic of my Sterling Tow Master Tow Bar base plate/mount on my EVO 1/4 Pounder front bumper. No signs of any stress from the move/tow. Im very happy with how stout this bumper is!

This is after moving my JK from Orange Co to San Fran in my most recent move.

Last edited by StrizzyChris; 05-13-2013 at 03:55 AM. Reason: pic added
Old 05-13-2013, 04:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Installed the 2013 compatible Procal. Honestly couldn't tell a difference in shift points or "feel" while driving but did it ever help my MPG!!! Finally disabling the TPMS was nice as well!

Also Picked up a 20" spot/flood combo LED light bar as well as two 2x2 pillar mount spots. Just need to figure out my mounting solution for them.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

So trying to get a feel for the size and mounting of the 20" LEDs. I may look for a piece of thick steel bent a few times to bolt to the bumper if there isnt a reasonably priced bracket available.

Also installed a 1.75" front spacer to help compensate for the factory rake, bumper/stinger and winch weight as well as the extra rise from running no spare or rear carrier right now. It was dark when I finished the install so no pics until the morning but It looks like I still have a slight rake. I have a 3/4" rear spacer that I thought I would use in combo, but may not even need it.

Old 05-14-2013, 02:49 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking good!

So, the procal actualy made you get a little better mileage? Tell me its true.

Also, the e-sway bar spin, is it actually secured in the new location or is the bolt just stuffed into the new hole you drilled out? Here is the pic I am questioning...

Old 05-14-2013, 03:38 AM
JK Junkie

Great build so far
Old 05-14-2013, 06:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by olyelr
So, the procal actualy made you get a little better mileage? Tell me its true.
No not at all! When I changed tires my mpg when to complete crap. I mean BAD!!! When I used the procal it helped me regain some of that mpg but it is still not near what it was from factory. I think it all has to do with shift points back to factory spec which improves mpg. I never expect to see those numbers again with the weight I added and the complete loss of aerodynamics that happens with aftermarket bumpers, removing the rake from stock suspension, and creating a kite with flat fenders lol

Originally Posted by olyelr
Also, the e-sway bar spin, is it actually secured in the new location or is the bolt just stuffed into the new hole you drilled out? Here is the pic I am questioning...

So I am terrible at descriptions so I used my crappy paint skills to help me. If you see in the pic below the #1 tab on of the swaybar housing is thin. Its sole purpose is to attach as the anchor point of the housing to the frame. The #2 spot is a hole that has a bolt in it from the factory and actually holds the housing together. The reason you will need to drill this hole is because #1 hole bolt that you will now be inserting into the #2 hole has a short threaded section and the body of the bolt(In the circle) is larger and will stop you from threading the bolt completely. By drilling the #2 hole this will allow you to thread the bolt in far enough to slip the unthreaded section in far enough to also secure the 2 parts of the housing together. (I hope this all makes sense)

Last edited by StrizzyChris; 05-14-2013 at 08:57 PM. Reason: I spell like a 4 year old with a traumatic brain injury
Old 05-14-2013, 08:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

So here she is, in daylight, after installing Front 1.75" spacers only.

There's still a slight rake, but I think mounting the rear carrier and spare will level it. If it then sags too much under that weight, I will then install the rear 3/4" spacers to then raise it to be more level.

Quick Reply: Scorpicon's Bolt-On Build Thread