Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Sans Windshield

Old 09-28-2012, 06:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very cool thread and pictures! I love the look of your Jeep!
Old 09-28-2012, 06:59 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice Jeep !
Old 09-28-2012, 07:05 PM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by carolinajk
great thread and cool pics ! really shows that the roll bars arent designed for serious duty . ive seen pics of jeep rollovers and was shocked at the damage . while better than nothing , they are certainly lacking . one day im gonna install a serious cage in mine that looks factory but with more protection . good job
My roll cage took one hell of a hit and I walked away with only a SINGLE scratch! That cage saved my life!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120928_230420.jpg
Views:	571
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	371833

Name:	ForumRunner_20120928_230432.jpg
Views:	564
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	371834

Name:	ForumRunner_20120928_230446.jpg
Views:	554
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	371835

Name:	ForumRunner_20120928_230500.jpg
Views:	543
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	371836
Old 09-28-2012, 07:06 PM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Dynamo
Decided to try a couple of new looks for the Jeep today. First is what I call "The Baldy", with the connecting bars to the windshield removed. It's not a bad look; I would happily rock this all the time, but I worry about the stability of the windshield without the supporting bars. You immediately notice the rear view mirror wobbling much more than usual. Also, clearly there are safety issues, especially when off-roading.
It's still an interesting look though, and really lends the Jeep a military appearance.

Then I decided to go the whole hog and take the windshield down for the first time ever. It took about twenty minutes altogether. I was surprised at how much I like the look once I was finished. Sure, it's dorky, but from certain angles it looks kinda cool.

The drive home was interesting. I broke the rules, and got up to about forty miles per hour. The wind really hits your face at that speed and if it wasn't for my sunglasses I'd be squinting like crazy. Visibility is crappy; you loose a bit of spacial awareness around the front of the vehicle. I found it a bit hard to aim the Jeep and stay in my lane. I guess I'm just used to the tapered front of the JK having driven it for five years straight. I strapped the windshield down good, so it didn't wobble much, but the hood is weak and probably would stand the weight of the window and frame on a regular basis.
It was an interesting experience, but I honestly wouldn't recommend it unless you're super bored and have an afternoon to kill like I had. Or maybe you have a legitimate reason for dropping the windshield. I can't think of many reasons to...except for hunting maybe? I certainly won't be doing it again. But I'm glad to have tried it. The next iteration of the Jeep might not have the feature, so this might be my last chance to do it, unless I buy an older model.
I windshield looks cool down on the 2drs but the 4drs like mine just look goofy....
Old 09-28-2012, 09:36 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jersey_Devil
My roll cage took one hell of a hit and I walked away with only a SINGLE scratch! That cage saved my life!

Attachment 371833

Attachment 371834

Attachment 371835

Attachment 371836
Whoa. Good to know. Glad you're okay.
Old 09-29-2012, 07:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dynamo

Wise man. Was a pain in the arse putting it all back together again today.
I hope the new version of the Jeep comes in Sahara Tan, because it's definitely the colour I want to get next.
I don't think they have it for 2013, but the have a color called Dune. It's a little darker.

My dealership had to have it brought in for me from South Carolina. They told me it was the only 2012 Sahara Tan Sport with 3.73 gears within 500 miles of Tampa. Both were my requirements if I was going to trade in my 2008 Rescue Green. I love it and I really don't see many around.

Quick Reply: Sans Windshield