Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Sans Windshield

Old 09-27-2012, 11:37 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sans Windshield

Decided to try a couple of new looks for the Jeep today. First is what I call "The Baldy", with the connecting bars to the windshield removed. It's not a bad look; I would happily rock this all the time, but I worry about the stability of the windshield without the supporting bars. You immediately notice the rear view mirror wobbling much more than usual. Also, clearly there are safety issues, especially when off-roading.
It's still an interesting look though, and really lends the Jeep a military appearance.

Then I decided to go the whole hog and take the windshield down for the first time ever. It took about twenty minutes altogether. I was surprised at how much I like the look once I was finished. Sure, it's dorky, but from certain angles it looks kinda cool.

The drive home was interesting. I broke the rules, and got up to about forty miles per hour. The wind really hits your face at that speed and if it wasn't for my sunglasses I'd be squinting like crazy. Visibility is crappy; you loose a bit of spacial awareness around the front of the vehicle. I found it a bit hard to aim the Jeep and stay in my lane. I guess I'm just used to the tapered front of the JK having driven it for five years straight. I strapped the windshield down good, so it didn't wobble much, but the hood is weak and probably would stand the weight of the window and frame on a regular basis.
It was an interesting experience, but I honestly wouldn't recommend it unless you're super bored and have an afternoon to kill like I had. Or maybe you have a legitimate reason for dropping the windshield. I can't think of many reasons to...except for hunting maybe? I certainly won't be doing it again. But I'm glad to have tried it. The next iteration of the Jeep might not have the feature, so this might be my last chance to do it, unless I buy an older model.

Last edited by Dynamo; 09-28-2012 at 12:01 AM.
The following users liked this post:
DrDanimalSize (03-11-2018)
Old 09-28-2012, 12:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

great thread and cool pics ! really shows that the roll bars arent designed for serious duty . ive seen pics of jeep rollovers and was shocked at the damage . while better than nothing , they are certainly lacking . one day im gonna install a serious cage in mine that looks factory but with more protection . good job
Old 09-28-2012, 12:17 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by carolinajk
great thread and cool pics ! really shows that the roll bars arent designed for serious duty . ive seen pics of jeep rollovers and was shocked at the damage . while better than nothing , they are certainly lacking . one day im gonna install a serious cage in mine that looks factory but with more protection . good job
Cheers. Yeah, they are pretty weak looking. I wonder how they differ, structurally speaking, from older Jeep roll bars. Were those thicker?
Here are some closeups:

Old 09-28-2012, 12:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thats a sharp jeep ! not sure bout the older jeeps roll bars.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice. Dorky? maybe, but for foolin around it looks pretty cool. Something I could enjoy at the deer camp. Talk about a sweet ground blind.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

There are some very nice rigs on this site, but for my taste, yours is perfect. Right height, color, options, everything. Well done!
Old 09-28-2012, 02:55 PM
JK Freak

Location: Independence and Lexington, KY (depends on the time of year)

Dude that is a really nice looking jeep! If I didn't have my mango, I'd definitely go with that color! I like the look sans windshield bars
Old 09-28-2012, 05:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Love your rig. Don't think I will be dropping my windshield anytime soon though.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:16 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by granth77
There are some very nice rigs on this site, but for my taste, yours is perfect. Right height, color, options, everything. Well done!
Cheers mate. Just trying to keep it simple and add only the things I need, while avoiding the things I don't. I use the original Willys as inspiration, and the clean and mean approach that Icon 4x4 have with their vehicles - although the components that I buy are nowhere near as expensive and high-end as theirs.

Originally Posted by Gforce!
Dude that is a really nice looking jeep! If I didn't have my mango, I'd definitely go with that color! I like the look sans windshield bars
I wish Jeep would bring back the Jeep Green Metallic. Have you seen the new Commando green?
I'm going to continue to run without the support bars for a while. I'm digging it.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:19 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 74CJ5
Love your rig. Don't think I will be dropping my windshield anytime soon though.
Wise man. Was a pain in the arse putting it all back together again today.
I hope the new version of the Jeep comes in Sahara Tan, because it's definitely the colour I want to get next.

Quick Reply: Sans Windshield