Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

salvaged Dana 60's - JK brackets?

Old 02-04-2009, 08:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thnx man
Old 03-01-2009, 03:09 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by muddpuppy01
that good for the rear what about the front kit is it going to be coming out

eta on the front???
Old 03-01-2009, 04:10 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not sure what use that currie kit would be with a real D60. As they are a full float axle, its not possible to even consider using JK brakes or speed sensors. There are plenty of 8 lug brake kits out there, but I do not know of any that make use of a chrysler style speed sensor.

The ESP can be disabled, but I am not sure if the ABS can be. That would be a question to ask your local dealership or somebody else with a programmer.
Old 03-01-2009, 04:42 PM
JK Freak

I don't think Currie would steer somebody wrong...

Pardon my lack of knowledge here, but what is the difference with the full float axle?
I do understand the rockjock is a semi-float axle. Just don't know what makes the difference.
Old 03-01-2009, 05:04 PM
JK Newbie

Default full float vs semi float

All our JK's are semi float. The diffrence in a semi float rear, the rear axle shafts support the vehicle weight and transmit power to the wheels. where a full float rear end has a hub at each end much like the front axle that supports the weight and all the axle shaft does is transmit power.
Old 03-01-2009, 05:05 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by tambil68
I don't think Currie would steer somebody wrong...

Pardon my lack of knowledge here, but what is the difference with the full float axle?
I do understand the rockjock is a semi-float axle. Just don't know what makes the difference.
90% of the D60's that you find in a junkyard will be a full float axle. Just like any other 3/4 or 1 ton rear axle.

The difference is this:

Semi-Float: It consists of an axleshaft that is splined on the inner end where it mates to the differential and has a wheel flange where the wheel studs mount at the other end. There is a single bearing that is pressed onto the axle shaft up near the flange. All the weight of the vehicle is being held by the axle shaft and this single bearing. The axle is generally held in place be a retaining ring and bearing, or by a c-clip on the inner side of the axle (inside the 3rd member).

Full-Float: A full float axle consist of two bearings in the hub. All of the vehicle weight rides on these bearings. The axle shaft slides inside and is splined on both ends. It has none of the vehicles weight being applied to it. This means only rotational force is being applied to it, making it much stronger. An easy way to see if an axle is a full float or a semi float is by looking at the center hub.

Full Float Axle Hub:

The Currie listed will work fine on their axles. And it may work on some of the semi-float D60-2's out there. A D60-3 is a full float however, and its the more common axle to find.

As for the front, all D60's will be 8 lug (Some D60-2 rear axles are a 5x5.5 lug pattern), most will be king pin (90's and up are generally ball joint, with a few exceptions), and most will have a standard bearing setup. Although again, newer D60's will use unitized bearings.

So what I am saying is, if you are getting junk yard axles, the items currie listed are not going to work. With the exception of the mounts for the axle links. But as far as I know, they do offer items for full float axles.
Old 03-01-2009, 05:20 PM
JK Jedi

I think with a full float you can pull the axles without disturbing the diff, and it has a splined shaft that goes into a drive flange/hub kinda like a front axle has. I am pretty sure that there is no pressure from the load of the jeep on the axle shafts. The axles just turn and convert the rotation into driving the whee/tire. I think. I think on a semi floater it uses the axle to support the weight of the jeep/load, and can be replaced without disturbing the diff also, It usually has a flange/hub attached perm at the end as well. I think.

That guy above me is correct I think, at least he said what I think they are. If that means anything. He explained it much better too.

Last edited by bigbluejk; 03-01-2009 at 05:25 PM.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:25 PM
JK Freak

Thank you both. That explained it well. More studying to do for me..... but I am learning. I also know that king pins must be greased monthly.. my friends with tow trucks just told me this.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:16 PM
Former Vendor

We have front bracket kits.

Please note that this bracket kit is setup for the Rock Jock. Some of the brackets may need modifications to use on a JY axle.

http://www.currieenterprises.com/CES...6.aspx?id=3315

Something to keep in mind.....
When doing an axle swap, keep in mind the over all width of the axle. The front 60 that we offer is almost 69" wide, that is as narrow as it can be using the factory style coil buckets. With that said I dont know of any factory axles that are that wide!!!
Old 03-01-2009, 08:39 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by tambil68
Thank you both. That explained it well. More studying to do for me..... but I am learning. I also know that king pins must be greased monthly.. my friends with tow trucks just told me this.
Well, it depends on the use. In a tow truck, yeah. They see a lot of heavy work. For putting a 1 ton axle in something as light as a jeep, no. The king pins will FAR outlast ball joints though.

Quick Reply: salvaged Dana 60's - JK brackets?